Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueWRXPride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hey, I would like to use the iPhone to record video from inside the car while I'm racing (yes, only on the track). I'm looking at getting the Arkon IPM514 mount as it seems to hold onto the phone very tightly (important due to cornering and braking) and also will swivel in landsape mode. The other important aspect is the camera needs to be unobstructed and able to see out the windshield. I think the IPM514 will work if I mount the phone "upside down" in the mount. Is anyone able to confirm that this will work for me?

StephenAndrew

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Just get a GoPro Hero HD or Contour camera - it comes with a bunch of mounting options and I'm sure it can handle more vibration (a lot more recording options, too). They're basically designed for this; I wouldn't want to risk breaking my iPhone. Not to mention if you're wearing gloves, have fun hitting the on-screen record button.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
Yes, I have Arkon IPM514 also and I use it as a dashboard mount and I have tried to use it to take a video of myself inside the car using the iPhone 4 and it works really well! You can even take a video the opposite way but you have to adjust the iPhone 4 so that the camera part will stick out from the mount.;) This is a great feature for Facetime if only available over 3G. :rolleyes:

BlueWRXPride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks, that's all I needed to know. I just couldn't tell for sure that it would be possible to give the camera an unobstructed view through the front window!

Pcload1etter

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
Hey, I would like to use the iPhone to record video from inside the car while I'm racing (yes, only on the track). I'm looking at getting the Arkon IPM514 mount as it seems to hold onto the phone very tightly (important due to cornering and braking) and also will swivel in landsape mode. The other important aspect is the camera needs to be unobstructed and able to see out the windshield. I think the IPM514 will work if I mount the phone "upside down" in the mount. Is anyone able to confirm that this will work for me?

How did that mount work? I need to get one for my next track event.

This was taken with the 4 my very first time on track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoUcL6Byk4Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My friend has a go pro and his video mounted in car like mine had about the same video quality but I think the sound quality on the iPhone was better

BlueWRXPride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
It works pretty well, I just used it for the first time this past weekend. There is some high frequency vibration coming from the connection between the holder and the mount itself, but it seems not bad. It was at night, so it's a little hard to tell how bad the vibration is though. I'll get the video on youtube eventually. What did you use to mount your iphone to the dash?

I've got an 09 WRX.

Pcload1etter

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
It was a crap generic phone holder but I also wedged it against the dash that time. I don't feel confident now after getting faster than that time using a poor quality mount. Also I'd rather not buy another camera when i already have a great hd one in the iPhone. I'll ordering one and try it out. Let me know if you upload a YouTube vid :)

zoltanl

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
For really sketchy spots such as under bumper or similar @StephenAndrew is right; use a dedicated action cam like GoPro or Contour. For in-car usage like a roll bar or windshield mount the iPhone works great.
There are a couple on the market:
http://www.optrix.com/ available now
iconic.am (our product, on kickstarter)
http://www.igloocase.com/ availabe now
Definitely look for one with a wide angle lens which captures more of the image than the stock iPhone.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.