PDA

View Full Version : Converting Blu Rays?

gilford
Aug 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
After recently getting a 2010 Mac Mini I am now looking to put all my BD's on my NAS :)

Can anyone give me a simple walk through as to what I need to download, buy and instructions to convert?

I'm presuming an external BD drive, MakeMKV and then Handbrake to compress it down to a reasonable size?

Is there a specific drive I need?

Thanks for the help :)

GermanSuplex
Aug 17, 2010, 01:19 PM
After recently getting a 2010 Mac Mini I am now looking to put all my BD's on my NAS :)

Can anyone give me a simple walk through as to what I need to download, buy and instructions to convert?

I'm presuming an external BD drive, MakeMKV and then Handbrake to compress it down to a reasonable size?

Is there a specific drive I need?

Thanks for the help :)

Those are the three items I use (actually, I have an internal Blu-Ray drive I use on my W7 machine). But I use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Ray and then Handbrake to convert. The only problem I have is subtitles, I don't bother with them, you may need another program or added steps if you want subs in your final mp4, but if you don't need them, you're good to go.

I did have to use a beta version of Handbrake though, since there were a couple of random Blu-Rays that the stable release kept crashing on. I downloaded a nightly build and its working like a charm.

Cave Man
Aug 17, 2010, 01:37 PM

1. Open disc with Make MKV and let 'er rip!
2. Open the MKV file in Handbrake if you want and make it smaller.
3. Enjoy movie!

I'm presuming an external BD drive, MakeMKV and then Handbrake to compress it down to a reasonable size? Is there a specific drive I need?

I have an LG Blu-ray burner/HD-DVD reader (SATA) in a Vantec USB2 enclosure. Together they're about $130.

Markusp
Aug 17, 2010, 04:10 PM
I use the first two steps listed above - a Blu-ray writer and MakeMKV. I gave up trying to compress the 18+ Gig files as audio and subtitles always proved to be a pain (especially DTS) so I just left them at full size and simply bought another USB drive to hold them all. With 2TB drives costing under $150, it was a no brainer. Time is money afterall :)

This solution only works if you are running a Mac Mini or the like and will NOT work for AppleTV. With AppleTV, compression is a must and I found an Elgato Turbo.264 HD to be invaluable when converting Blu-ray rips to a 720p format playable on AppleTV. Takes 3 hours as opposed to 10+ hours via Handbrake. Only problem is, it can not handle DTS soundtracks so you must either accept using 2 channel AAC or re-encode the DTS soundtrack to DD using another problem and then re-mux that file into your movie.

gilford
Aug 18, 2010, 05:24 AM
Cheers for the info :)

I've just got a mid 2010 Mini so no hassle storing the full rip. My main concern is which drive to buy? I dont want to spend hundreds (the UK is pricey for these things) so which external drive would suffice? I have read certain one's dont work on a Mac??

Cave Man
Aug 18, 2010, 08:47 AM
I never buy canned drives; I always assemble them in case of a problem (so you can open them up without voiding warranties).

Blu-ray burner (which would require Toast to burn):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181

Blu-ray ROM (read only):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325

Enclosure that I have (USB and FW400):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145064

Cheaper enclosure (USB2 only):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145051

You can get a drive and enclosure for less than US$100, but I'm not sure of the availability of these in the UK.

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 18, 2010, 09:10 AM
Guys, I have a tonne of Bluray discs, some of which I wanna keep as Bluray and some which I wanna encode.

I know that I can rip a Bluray to MKV with the MKV tool and then encode that to mp4 with Hand Brake.

What I wanna confirm is, can I convert in Handbrake, that looks something like the HD files I get when I buy an HD film on itunes? Coz I used the Apple TV preset and the file was like 1-2 gigs and quality was well, SD.

How do I rip to HD level quality in Hand brake? thanks

tommylotto
Aug 18, 2010, 09:35 AM
My Handbrake encodes are every bit as good as the ones I download from Apple -- if not better. At normal viewing distance they are every bit as good as the BluRay. My trick is to use the AppleTV preset, add this to the advanced line:

cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightb=0:weightp=0:vbv-maxrate=9500:vbv-bufsize=9500

Change the resolution to 1280 x 720

Anamorphic setting: Custom

Check: Keep aspect ratio

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 18, 2010, 09:43 AM
My Handbrake encodes are every bit as good as the ones I download from Apple -- if not better. At normal viewing distance they are every bit as good as the BluRay. My trick is to use the AppleTV preset, add this to the advanced line:

Thanks, gonna try it when I get home!

rayward
Aug 18, 2010, 05:27 PM

I do this, except set Anamorphic to "None" and let the picture height "float". Is there an advantage to using "Custom"? Or do you use this to force a 1280 x 720 picture on a file that may have a wider aspect ratio?

TIA

rayward
Aug 18, 2010, 05:31 PM
Guys, I have a tonne of Bluray discs, some of which I wanna keep as Bluray and some which I wanna encode.

I know that I can rip a Bluray to MKV with the MKV tool and then encode that to mp4 with Hand Brake.

What I wanna confirm is, can I convert in Handbrake, that looks something like the HD files I get when I buy an HD film on itunes? Coz I used the Apple TV preset and the file was like 1-2 gigs and quality was well, SD.

How do I rip to HD level quality in Hand brake? thanks

See above from tommylotto. If you are, like me, using the GUI version of Handbrake, you make these adjustments on the Picture Settings dialog box.

I took the Apple TV preset, made these setting changes, and saved it a custom preset called "Apple TV HD". That way, I don't have to repeat the setting changes when encoding at HD resolution.

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 19, 2010, 06:31 AM
Guys, is there a better way to convert Blurays to appletv or itunes playable format?

coz I tried Make MKV, and while it makes the MKV file ok, I cant get it to encode in Hand Brake. Always says video source not recognized or not found. Some MKVs actually work but then the encode stops half way...

Are there any tools out there that is more lets say bullet proof? I have both windows and Mac so I can use any tool, just wanna get some HD content into my mac mini without using MKVs which take over 25 Gigs.

Thank you very mcuh

NightStorm
Aug 19, 2010, 07:55 AM
Guys, is there a better way to convert Blurays to appletv or itunes playable format?

coz I tried Make MKV, and while it makes the MKV file ok, I cant get it to encode in Hand Brake. Always says video source not recognized or not found. Some MKVs actually work but then the encode stops half way...

Are there any tools out there that is more lets say bullet proof? I have both windows and Mac so I can use any tool, just wanna get some HD content into my mac mini without using MKVs which take over 25 Gigs.

Thank you very mcuh

Are you using the nightly build of Handbrake? It contains a bunch of fixes since .9.4 was released.

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 19, 2010, 08:05 AM
Sorry whats the "Nightly" buid? I got the latest one from the website I think.

Cave Man
Aug 19, 2010, 08:48 AM
https://build.handbrake.fr/

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 19, 2010, 09:00 AM
Ok thank you very much, will give this a shot.

rayward
Aug 19, 2010, 11:30 AM
Ok thank you very much, will give this a shot.

As you may have seen from another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=995226), the "No Valid Source" error comes up infrequently in Handbrake. For me, I'd say it's less than 1 in 10. I've been told (but have yet to try) that running the mkv file through TSMuxer will yield an mt2s that Handbrake will gobble up. It might strip out the subtitles though.

For the most part though, if you're using a Mac (without a Windows installation), you're "stuck" with MakeMKV and Handbrake. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

tommylotto
Aug 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
I do this, except set Anamorphic to "None" and let the picture height "float". Is there an advantage to using "Custom"? Or do you use this to force a 1280 x 720 picture on a file that may have a wider aspect ratio?

TIA

I do that to preserve compatibility with AppleTV (1280x720p/24 max), which might not be a concern for you. It maximizes the number of pixels and takes advantage of the anamorphic feature. We have been doing in for years with DVD's. So, it makes sense to do it with HD content too. With widescreen movies you get an effective resolution of something like 1680x720p.

rayward
Aug 19, 2010, 04:38 PM
I do that to preserve compatibility with AppleTV (1280x720p/24 max), which might not be a concern for you. It maximizes the number of pixels and takes advantage of the anamorphic feature. We have been doing in for years with DVD's. So, it makes sense to do it with HD content too. With widescreen movies you get an effective resolution of something like 1680x720p.

So it cuts of the sides and fills the screen vertically? I watch my HD rips on Apple TV too, but I like to keep the original aspect ratio and full frame width, which is achieved by the "None" option, setting the width to 1280 and letting the height be whatever it needs to be.

Each to his own - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a wrinkle.

Cave Man
Aug 19, 2010, 04:42 PM
So it cuts of the sides and fills the screen vertically?

If I understand correctly, if you have a 1080p TV you'll get a little higher resolution out of the Apple TV (1680 wide instead of 1280 wide).

heliocentric
Aug 19, 2010, 05:21 PM
If I understand correctly, if you have a 1080p TV you'll get a little higher resolution out of the Apple TV (1680 wide instead of 1280 wide).

so you can encode a bluray rip at 1680 width?

Cave Man
Aug 19, 2010, 06:55 PM
That's how I understand it, but I'll let tommylotto chime in.

tommylotto
Aug 19, 2010, 10:30 PM
With the custom anamorphic setting checked, you encode the entire movie frame at the correct aspect ratio at 1280x720. That is at a 16x9 aspect ratio, but the original aspect ratio, whatever it is, is preserved, because the pixels are not square. They are rectangles, in a ratio necessary to preserve the original aspect ratio of the movie. For a widescreen movie, your actual horizontal resolution with always be 1280, but instead of square pixels you will have rectangular pixels, which your AppleTV or Mac Mini will unpack as 1680 or so. This trick really does not improve horizontal resolution, it is just a trick. However, you do end up with a real improvement in vertical resolution.

If you set horizontal resolution to 1280 and allow the vertical resolution to float, on widescreen movies, that resolution can be as low as 550 pixels. With custom anamorphic, you always get 720.

An anamorphic encode with have 921,600 pixels, whereas a non-anamorphic encode will have about 704,000 pixels. That is a 30% increase in pixels in vertical resolution, and my understanding is that vertical resolution has a bigger impact on perception of visual clarity.

I know that resolution is not everything with respect to encodes, but all this being equal, more pixels are better.

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 20, 2010, 01:50 AM
Guys, I am currently encoding MKVs ripped with MAKEMKV then just encoding it in HANDBRAKE.

My question is: How do I also get subtitles? Is this possible? I try to click the subtitles option in Handbrake but it doesnt change anything, do I need another step somewhere?

Thanks

Cave Man
Aug 20, 2010, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately, subtitles are a bit problematic still for Blu-rays. If you can find the SRTs (from various unscrupulous places :) ) then you can use Handbrake to add them during the transcode.

rayward
Aug 20, 2010, 09:25 AM
With the custom anamorphic setting checked, you encode the entire movie frame at the correct aspect ratio at 1280x720. That is at a 16x9 aspect ratio, but the original aspect ratio, whatever it is, is preserved, because the pixels are not square. They are rectangles, in a ratio necessary to preserve the original aspect ratio of the movie. For a widescreen movie, your actual horizontal resolution with always be 1280, but instead of square pixels you will have rectangular pixels, which your AppleTV or Mac Mini will unpack as 1680 or so. This trick really does not improve horizontal resolution, it is just a trick. However, you do end up with a real improvement in vertical resolution.

If you set horizontal resolution to 1280 and allow the vertical resolution to float, on widescreen movies, that resolution can be as low as 550 pixels. With custom anamorphic, you always get 720.

An anamorphic encode with have 921,600 pixels, whereas a non-anamorphic encode will have about 704,000 pixels. That is a 30% increase in pixels in vertical resolution, and my understanding is that vertical resolution has a bigger impact on perception of visual clarity.

I know that resolution is not everything with respect to encodes, but all this being equal, more pixels are better.

Many thanks. I'll give this a whirl on my next encode.

Kaiser Phoenix
Aug 20, 2010, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, subtitles are a bit problematic still for Blu-rays. If you can find the SRTs (from various unscrupulous places :) ) then you can use Handbrake to add them during the transcode.

Ah I see, I assume SRT is some type of subtitle file format? is there a way to extract this somehow from the Bluray?

kiranmk2
Aug 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
Does anamorphic even apply to HD formats? I thought it was introduced because DVDs stored their image as a 4:3 picture which either contained black bars (i.e. non anamorphic and your TV had to zoom in), or a vertically stretched image (i.e. anamorphic, which your TV made normal in 16:9 mode). I was under the impression that HD discs store the image as a widescreen image so there needs to be no expanding/zooming etc. I might be completely wrong though.

gilford
Aug 20, 2010, 03:04 PM
As we are a little off my topic now, can someone please recommend me an external BD player? :)

Cave Man
Aug 20, 2010, 03:13 PM
I gave my suggestion.

heliocentric
Aug 20, 2010, 05:04 PM

do you not get any stuttering? what birate do you set it at?

thanks

longball11
Aug 20, 2010, 09:17 PM
Subtitles on blu ray - check
download streaming - don't even exist on most !

Bluray lives til after ps4

tbayrgs
Aug 21, 2010, 12:35 AM

FWIW, I'll offer my endorsement of tommylotto's suggestion. I watch my Blu-ray encodes on both a Mac Mini HTPC hooked up to a 1080p plasma and an :apple:TV on a 720p set in the bedroom. His recommendation allows for the best picture possible for each respective device without encoding multiple times--started using his suggestion a few months ago when I started ripping my BD collection and couldn't be happier with the results.

NeverhadaPC
Aug 21, 2010, 12:44 AM
I don't get it. You buy blu-rays to enjoy 1080p format but end up down-sampling the high quality for 720p or less?

1) How much space does a ripped Blu-ray take up on a HDD?
2) If you want to watch the ripped movies on iPod, I better understand your logic in down-sampling the movies..

Cave Man
Aug 21, 2010, 09:30 AM
I don't get it. You buy blu-rays to enjoy 1080p format but end up down-sampling the high quality for 720p or less?

The principal issue for me is the fact that Blu-rays typically come with HD audio (True-HD or DTS-MA) which are huge - typically in the range of 4 gb for a 2 hour movie. I don't have a receiver capable of decoding those (and don't plan on getting one), nor do Macs have the ability to transmit HD audio (but that may be changing soon with audio over DisplayPort and HDMI). The Blu-ray m2ts containers usually contain several other international audio tracks that are unnecessary for most people.

A straight rip of the title can range between 18 and 35 gb with the HD and multiple language tracks. Reduce that to your preferred language and in DTS or DD 5.1 and you can save up to 8 or 10 gb from that file - without reducing the quality of the video (i.e., high bit rate 1080p).

tbayrgs
Aug 21, 2010, 07:17 PM

2) If you want to watch the ripped movies on iPod, I better understand your logic in down-sampling the movies..

For myself personally, it's about compromise between convenience and quality. Portability and convenience are pretty important to me and my family--we watch our collection on everything from a 1080p TV to first gen iPod Touches and everything in between (and with 3 kids between ages of 2 and 6, portability is very important). Sure, I'd love to have optimal quality but I don't want 2-3 copies of all our media and while external HDD storage isn't too expensive, keeping raw rips of BD quickly eats up the TBs. I generally keep all BD encodes at 720p (with previously mentioned custom anamorphic settings to improve quality on the plasma) and if it's something the kids will watch, I also make a copy that's iPod touch friendly. If rumors are true and new iPods get a retina display, I should be able to keep only one encode going forward since all devices should be able to handle playback of my 720p encodes.

It's also nice to be able to have a movie/TV show up on any TV in the house in a few seconds (Mac Mini or :apple:TV) rather than having to have a dedicated BD player for each and then have to hunt down the disk for playback, wait for the initial load, navigate through previews/menus, etc. Again, the patience (or lack thereof) of young children really comes into play here. I also use my old iPhone 3GS as a dedicated movie player for use in the car via composite cable--don't have a DVD copy for all the kids collection (some BD only) so this is the only way to play these movies on the small screen in the car.

tommylotto
Aug 22, 2010, 10:56 AM
If rumors are true and new iPods get a retina display, I should be able to keep only one encode going forward since all devices should be able to handle playback of my 720p encodes.

FWIW I have an iPhone 4 and it plays my 720p HD anamorphic encodes. Looks good.

hijar69
Aug 22, 2010, 04:05 PM
Guys. new to the forum. Just trying to encode Blu Rays for the first time, a couple of questions. 1st does MakeMKV not set chapter detail and 2nd what bit rate are most people using on conversions. Also should encodes take 18hrs? My first turned out crappy (Alien vs Predator 2).

heliocentric
Aug 22, 2010, 04:16 PM
Guys. new to the forum. Just trying to encode Blu Rays for the first time, a couple of questions. 1st does MakeMKV not set chapter detail and 2nd what bit rate are most people using on conversions. Also should encodes take 18hrs? My first turned out crappy (Alien vs Predator 2).

what are you using to encode? are you trying to encode it for atv?

tbayrgs
Aug 22, 2010, 04:38 PM

1) No problem getting chapters using MakeMKV and Handbrake--just have to manually input chapter names if so desired (or go lazy route like me and use someone else's hard work via tagging in MetaX ;)). Make sure you have Create Chapter Markers box checked in Handbrake under the Chapters tab.

2) I encode with the lowest performing device in mind (in my case the :apple:TV). I try to keep the avg bitrate less than 6000 kbps or else the :apple:TV doesn't really handle playback well (lots of studdering). Keeping that in mind, I start with the :apple:TV preset, manually bump up the resolution to 1280 by whatever (using keep aspect ratio option), crop out the horizontal bars if HB hasn't done so automatically, set Anamorphic to Custom (again with Keep Aspect Ration option checked) and increase height to 720. I generally then set the Constant Quality to an RF value between 20-21. This occasionally requires a little trial and error as some movies have a lot of fast moving action and/or complex sequences (i.e. some of the flocks of birds or moving water sequences in Planet Earth) that will lend to a higher bitrate.

Also, I have the following in my Current x264 Advanced Option String:

cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightb=0:trellis=0:weightp=0:vbv-maxrate=9500:vbv-bufsize=9500.

The resulting files range in size from 2-5 GB, depending on the movie, and I'm quite happy with the resulting picture quality. Also, make sure the large file size box is checked (believe it is by default under the Apple TV preset).

3) Encoding time really depends more on your computer's capabilities. My BD encodes using the above settings take anywhere from 8-12 hours on my 2.0 C2D Mac Mini with 4 GB of RAM.

hijar69
Aug 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
Using Handbrake on a Macbook Core 2 Duo (2006) and yes I am trying to set it up for ATV

heliocentric
Aug 22, 2010, 04:42 PM
Using Handbrake on a Macbook Core 2 Duo (2006) and yes I am trying to set it up for ATV

what the guy said above about anamorphic settings and also see this page for settings
http://dynaflashtech.net/2010/06/30/handbrake-appletv-hi-profile-setting-part-2/

hijar69
Aug 22, 2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the input, the problem I am having with chapters is when I set up in Handbrake it only shows one chapter for the whole movie. I have set up all my SD collection through Mac the Ripper and get all chapters, at which time I can input names. Am I missing something in setup through MakeMKV or am I needing to do something extra in Handbrake that I didn't need to do with my SD collection?

heliocentric
Aug 22, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the input, the problem I am having with chapters is when I set up in Handbrake it only shows one chapter for the whole movie. I have set up all my SD collection through Mac the Ripper and get all chapters, at which time I can input names. Am I missing something in setup through MakeMKV or am I needing to do something extra in Handbrake that I didn't need to do with my SD collection?

the chapters should come up in handbrake if you are making the mkv in makemkv. Are you keeping chapters ticked in makemkv before you rip?

hijar69
Aug 22, 2010, 05:05 PM
Not checking or unchecking anything, writing full content. So far attempting to write 2012, Alien vs Predator 2, Roadhouse, Kung Fu Panda and Avatar. Still no luck on a good conversion in Handbrake.

:apple:Macbook C2D 2gig Memory, :apple:1st gen 40gig atv and 2 x 1TB USB drives

heliocentric
Aug 22, 2010, 05:15 PM
Not checking or unchecking anything, writing full content. So far attempting to write 2012, Alien vs Predator 2, Roadhouse, Kung Fu Panda and Avatar. Still no luck on a good conversion in Handbrake.

:apple:Macbook C2D 2gig Memory, :apple:1st gen 40gig atv and 2 x 1TB USB drives

when you say 'writing full content' are you copying the whole bluray to your hd or just copying the title you need to an mkv?

you should be doing the latter

hijar69
Aug 22, 2010, 05:21 PM
can you help with that, what should I be copying from the disc?

Cave Man
Aug 22, 2010, 06:47 PM
Make sure you're using a nightly build of Handbrake.

https://build.handbrake.fr/

rayward
Aug 23, 2010, 10:41 AM
It's also nice to be able to have a movie/TV show up on any TV in the house in a few seconds (Mac Mini or :apple:TV) rather than having to have a dedicated BD player for each and then have to hunt down the disk for playback, wait for the initial load, navigate through previews/menus, etc. Again, the patience (or lack thereof) of young children really comes into play here. I also use my old iPhone 3GS as a dedicated movie player for use in the car via composite cable--don't have a DVD copy for all the kids collection (some BD only) so this is the only way to play these movies on the small screen in the car.

+1

Having my movie collection available instantly in (currently) 4 rooms in the house is the convenience. The loss of quality is not going to be noticed in 3 of the rooms with smaller TVs and no surround sound. On the home theater TV, I can't see or hear the difference between the original BD and the encoded file.

rayward
Aug 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
can you help with that, what should I be copying from the disc?

Sometimes MakeMKV will list two versions of a movie from the BD, one with chapters and one without. Make sure you are ripping the one with chapters.

For previously ripped movies that are sans chapters, you can add them using MetaX, as long as you know the time intervals for each chapter (which usually available from the disk insert or via simple Google search, i.e. "MovieName DVD Chapters"). On MetaX' "Chapters" tab, you hit the "+" button, and it splits the current chapter allowing you to set the time and name for the "original" chapter. The balance of that chapter will be a separate entry, that you can split as above until you've created all the necessary chapter splits and names.

MetaX may have the chapters already set in one of the pre-packaged data sets it draws from Tag Chimp. You will get a dialog box saying that the chapters from the data set are different to those in your file, giving you the option to import or not. Click Import, and you're chapters should be set for you without the rigmarole described above. Fair warning: those chapter sets aren't always correct, so it's always worth comparing them (after import) to the published chapters. You don't set anything in stone until you write the tags to the movie, so it's always possible to back out and start again.

tommylotto
Aug 23, 2010, 08:49 PM
He may not have a chapter track. If that is the case, he may first need to add a chapter track in Subler or Meta Data Hootenany

hijar69
Aug 25, 2010, 08:49 PM
When I move a file into meta x I do not get any import from tag chimp. Am I missing a step, I always have to type chapters manually. Any input?:cool:

Marcus Cyganiak
Aug 28, 2010, 02:02 PM

cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightb=0:weightp=0:vbv-maxrate=9500:vbv-bufsize=9500

I'm gonna have to try this!

rayward
Aug 30, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm gonna have to try this!

Since reading tommy's post, I've tried this (on 4 movies) and it works very well.

Microsaft
Sep 3, 2010, 08:30 AM
Blu-ray ROM (read only):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325

Bought that drive during the last days.
Works fine in this enclosure (http://www.inxtron.com/products/opticall/sk5250/sk5250_usb2)...

(...)
Just giving it a try... Many thx...

As we are a little off my topic now, can someone please recommend me an external BD player? :)
The cheap Lite-On Rom will do.

emaja
Sep 4, 2010, 01:09 AM
I thought that we needed Windows to do the ripping. Can we now do it under OS X?

If so - cool!

Microsaft
Sep 4, 2010, 06:54 AM
You can use MakeMKV: http://www.makemkv.com/download/

Working great...

emaja
Sep 4, 2010, 11:53 AM
You can use MakeMKV: http://www.makemkv.com/download/

Working great...

I knew about the software, but I thought there was an issue with BD drives being recognized under OS X. I was under the impression that the ripping had to be done under Windows and then the transcoding could be done under OS X.

Microsaft
Sep 4, 2010, 07:06 PM
I do not know if you can use any BluRay burner / drive.
I just bought the cheapest BD Rom and gave it a try...

hlkc
Sep 12, 2010, 11:37 PM
In my Windows PC, I backed up all my BD to ISO and using AnyDVD HD and TMT3 player to play all my BD.

How do I the same thing with my MBP?

Thanks you.

thecypher
Sep 13, 2010, 09:52 AM
In my Windows PC, I backed up all my BD to ISO and using AnyDVD HD and TMT3 player to play all my BD.

How do I the same thing with my MBP?

Thanks you.

I have a similar arrangement as you. However I use PowerDVD for playback. Basically a HTPC I built that loads the ISO from the Network storage via Virtual CloneDrive and I have MyMovies with Windows Media Center. Arrangement works great. But I would love to be able to do something similar with ATV. Just ordered the new ATV and waiting for it. So far from reading the forums it looks like there is a lot of work involved. Seems like we will have to convert our ISOs into mkv files first using Makemkv and then encode for ATV using handbrake which takes 18 hours so on average is the impression I am getting. Wish ATV would play mkv files directly without having to down sample.

tommylotto
Sep 13, 2010, 01:00 PM
... and then encode for ATV using handbrake which takes 18 hours so on average is the impression I am getting.

FWIW my i5 iMac will handbrake encode a BD's MKV into 720p for my ATV in about real time. A two hour movie will take about two hours. Right now it is a four step process:

Convert BD to MKV with Make MKV -- about an hour
Convert DTS to AC3 with Popcorn in VMware Fusion -- about an hour
Encode to 720p M4V with Handbrake -- about two hours
Add metadata with Subler -- a few minutes

But then I have a beautiful HD version that is much smaller and plays on ATV, iPhone 4 and iPad.

gilford
Sep 19, 2010, 02:49 AM

Tommy, I have just replicated these setting on an encode of Transformers and although it reduced it from 40gb to 7.5gb the video is very jumpy? Any reason for this?

GermanSuplex
Sep 19, 2010, 06:08 AM
^Did you leave framerate "Same As Source"? If you took it down to 23.97 or 24 fps, and the video is 29.97fps, then that will cause a stuttery image.

gilford
Sep 19, 2010, 07:00 AM
^Did you leave framerate "Same As Source"? If you took it down to 23.97 or 24 fps, and the video is 29.97fps, then that will cause a stuttery image.

I didn't touch the frame rate, does it change by default?

gilford
Sep 19, 2010, 07:44 AM
Just checked now and it is set to same as source?

I'm using the most recent version of HB but not the Nightly build, could that be it?

tommylotto
Sep 19, 2010, 08:46 AM
Try hard setting it to 23.97.

Don't listen to anyone else around here. Just try it.

I think there is something wrong with either handbrake or makemkv on some films (for me Gladiator). Nothing worked. I reduced the quality and resolution to below SD and it still stuttered. That was when frame rate was at "same as source". Then I forced it to 23.97 and everything was beautiful -- even with the maxed out anamorphic resolution.

I think one of the programs makes or sees a variable frame rate when there should not be one.

alFR
Sep 20, 2010, 03:56 AM
The cheap Lite-On Rom will do.

I thought I remembered reading on here a while ago that the drive had to be a writer (at least of DVDs) to work natively under OS X and that pure BD-ROMs wouldn't work? Is that old news now?

gilford
Sep 20, 2010, 04:43 AM

I think there is something wrong with either handbrake or makemkv on some films (for me Gladiator). Nothing worked. I reduced the quality and resolution to below SD and it still stuttered. That was when frame rate was at "same as source". Then I forced it to 23.97 and everything was beautiful -- even with the maxed out anamorphic resolution.

I think one of the programs makes or sees a variable frame rate when there should not be one.

Thanks for that, I'll try that tonight :)

I thought I remembered reading on here a while ago that the drive had to be a writer (at least of DVDs) to work natively under OS X and that pure BD-ROMs wouldn't work? Is that old news now?

I got a cheap USB BD ROM and DVD writer and it works perfectly :)

gilford
Sep 20, 2010, 04:44 AM

Just to clarify, that is with the standard HB and not this "Nightly" build?

alFR
Sep 20, 2010, 07:31 AM
I got a cheap USB BD ROM and DVD writer and it works perfectly :)

You're in the UK too, yeah? Which one did you buy in the end?

gilford
Sep 20, 2010, 09:27 AM
I got one exactly the same as this on e bay -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slimline-External-portable-desktop-computers/dp/B001PLBI8Q

Works a treat, and no need for yet another power adapter which is always a bonus!

:)

emaja
Sep 28, 2010, 05:59 PM
Just to add my experience...

I ordered the "El Cheapo" USB enclosure from OWC found HERE (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/VLSTOPTU2/) and the Lite On drive found HERE (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3160356&SID=) and they both work perfectly. The whole setup cost me $78.00 after a 15% coupon promo that Newegg was running last week.

Now...on to the Handbrake conversions...

bukiwhitey
Sep 28, 2010, 08:02 PM
Tommy,

Do you leave the bit rates at 2500 or do you change that as well?

Thanks,

David

bukiwhitey
Sep 28, 2010, 08:05 PM

Do you mean the 23.976 NTSC Film or Video settings?

gilford
Sep 29, 2010, 02:22 AM
What HB settings are you using to retain 1080p but get the BD size down?

I'm having ratio trouble amongst other things :(

RandomNinjaAtk
Sep 29, 2010, 03:09 AM
What HB settings are you using to retain 1080p but get the BD size down?

I'm having ratio trouble amongst other things :(

I would start with just using the high profile setting and changing nothing. That should result in an encode at full 1080p resolution and size it down some. Of course you can see how that goes and then continue to tweak it after.

gilford
Sep 29, 2010, 03:58 AM
I would start with just using the high profile setting and changing nothing. That should result in an encode at full 1080p resolution and size it down some. Of course you can see how that goes and then continue to tweak it after.

Thanks for getting back to me :)

If I use the high setting on my 40gb rip of Transformers the original 1920x1080 res changes to 1920x800, is that still retaining 1080p quality?

Cheers :)

RandomNinjaAtk
Sep 29, 2010, 04:10 AM
Thanks for getting back to me :)

If I use the high setting on my 40gb rip of Transformers the original 1920x1080 res changes to 1920x800, is that still retaining 1080p quality?

Cheers :)

The reason for the reduced height is most likely due to handbrake cropping out the black bars in the picture. Hence it not being the same height, but you should not be loosing any resolution, I've been encoding 720p for my iphone 4 using high profile in preparation for my new apple tv's. Which takes the 1080p down to 720p and from a 20+ GB MKV on average down to only like 1-4GB's in space.

gilford
Sep 29, 2010, 04:13 AM
The reason for the reduced height is most likely due to handbrake cropping out the black bars in the picture. Hence it not being the same height, but you should not be loosing any resolution, I've been encoding 720p for my iphone 4 using high profile in preparation for my new apple tv's. Which takes the 1080p down to 720p and from a 20+ GB MKV on average down to only like 1-4GB's in space.

Thanks again :)

How do I get it to keep the black bars though? It wont allow me to check the box "keep aspect ratio"?

RandomNinjaAtk
Sep 29, 2010, 04:18 AM
To change the aspect ratio, change the anamorphic settings to like strict or none. That should allow you to adjust it more as you'd like.

gilford
Sep 29, 2010, 06:16 AM
16 hours ETA for the encode, now that is a LONG time :D

tommylotto
Sep 29, 2010, 08:45 AM
Get an i5 or better yet an i7 iMac. They can grind through BluRay encodes in about real time.

bukiwhitey
Sep 29, 2010, 09:01 AM
Tommy,

Do you leave the bit rate setting at 2500?

Also when you set the frame rate to 23.97, are you using the NTSC Film or video setting?

Thanks,

David

tommylotto
Sep 29, 2010, 09:23 AM
Frame Rate: It depends on what the source is suppose to be. You can check that out in VLC. Usually feature films will be 23.967 NTSC/Film. TV Shows might be 29.97 NTSC/Video or might be 23.967 NTSC/Film.

My suggestion is really to find out what the native rate of your source is suppose to be, then to manually set that rate in handbrake (as oppose to letting Handbrake choose by selecting "same as source").

All of my BluRays and HD-DVD's have been 23.967 NTSC/Film, even HBO TV Shows like John Adams.

Bit Rate: I am encoding for AppleTV and my resulting resolution is 1280x720. For bit rate I use Constant Quality: RF: 20 (I might play with this a bit if I do not like what I see).

gilford
Sep 29, 2010, 10:21 AM
Get an i5 or better yet an i7 iMac. They can grind through BluRay encodes in about real time.

I've got a brand new 2010 Mac Mini, surely that is a competent machine :confused:

rayward
Sep 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
I've got a brand new 2010 Mac Mini, surely that is a competent machine :confused:

If you're requiring HB to change the framerate, i.e. converting a 29.xxx fps file to 23.xxx fps, it takes a lot more brain power. I have a 2008 iMac (see sig. line), and it takes 4-8 hours to encode a BD rip to 720p when it's not changing the framerate.

Lucky folks like toommylotto with their new i5s and i7s will be able to scream through encodes a lot faster than you or I.

Cave Man
Sep 29, 2010, 10:49 AM

Can it simultaneously output audio by HDMI and optical port? I'd like to connect to the TV and my receiver, but I don't turn the receiver on all that often. I really don't want to open System Preferences Sound pane to change audio every time I use the receiver (then switch it back again when done).

pedz
Oct 6, 2010, 07:56 PM
Have followed the advice here and on other forums and finally have a repeatable workflow for ripping my blu ray's for apple tv with forced subs and dolby digital surround sound. thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

I am using the custom anamorphic setting and advanced string suggested earlier in this threads and the resulting videos are beautiful. Question is, I am using 21 for the constanct quality video setting. But I have played around with it and even down to 24 I cannot really tell a difference on my 60" plasma. I am using Avatar and doing a chapter with a decent amount of motion. Anybody else observe the same or do I just need to look closer to see the difference?

Reason I care is I get a significant difference in file size between 21 and 24. The 21 file is just over 6 gig. Would like to save the space if I am not losing any visible quality.

Appreciate any advice you can give, and thanks again for all the great help.
Peter

newagemac
Oct 6, 2010, 08:51 PM
So what's your workflow? I still haven't figured out how best to get forced subtitles. From what I understand, the latest nightly of Handbrake resolved the DTS workflow problem so this is the only thing left I haven't found an easy way to do.

pedz
Oct 6, 2010, 09:15 PM
I found a workflow on this thread that works well for me.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16784

It takes a while and can probably be shortened but it has worked well so far so I am sticking with it. It works well for forced subs (e.g. Avatar) you want to burn in, but that is it. Doesn't help with soft subs. But I don't mind not having soft subs, have to have forced though.

You mention nightly build fixed the dts issue, what does that mean? Should i not convert the audio to ac3? The workflow in the link converts the audio to ac3 and it seems to work great. When playing the movie I get Dolby on my receiver and it sounds great.
For the handbrake phase I have been using the settings on this thread. But as I mentioned in my post above I cannot see the diff between constant quality 21 and 24. I even tried variable rate avg of 2500 and it looks great. Curious what others see.

Scratch the last comment, I watched the 2500 variable rate and i can clearly see flaws. So I will probably go with Constant quality 23, seems like great quality while minimizing size.

tbayrgs
Oct 6, 2010, 09:16 PM
Have followed the advice here and on other forums and finally have a repeatable workflow for ripping my blu ray's for apple tv with forced subs and dolby digital surround sound. thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

I am using the custom anamorphic setting and advanced string suggested earlier in this threads and the resulting videos are beautiful. Question is, I am using 21 for the constanct quality video setting. But I have played around with it and even down to 24 I cannot really tell a difference on my 60" plasma. I am using Avatar and doing a chapter with a decent amount of motion. Anybody else observe the same or do I just need to look closer to see the difference?

Reason I care is I get a significant difference in file size between 21 and 24. The 21 file is just over 6 gig. Would like to save the space if I am not losing any visible quality.

Appreciate any advice you can give, and thanks again for all the great help.
Peter

If you cannot discern any noticable difference and want to save HDD space, just use the higher RF setting. Everyone is going to have their own preferences and will recommended all ranges of settings based on their own tastes. If it works for you, just use it and save some space.

pedz
Oct 6, 2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the reply. Will probably do that. I just worry about starting a new workflow and finding out after I've ripped tons of movies that in some situations I haven't seen yet there is an issue. But will have to take a chance. I guess my hard drive will benefit from my inability to discern detail :)

grantwolsey
Oct 17, 2010, 01:10 AM
I found a workflow on this thread that works well for me.
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16784

It takes a while and can probably be shortened but it has worked well so far so I am sticking with it. It works well for forced subs (e.g. Avatar) you want to burn in, but that is it. Doesn't help with soft subs. But I don't mind not having soft subs, have to have forced though.

You mention nightly build fixed the dts issue, what does that mean? Should i not convert the audio to ac3? The workflow in the link converts the audio to ac3 and it seems to work great. When playing the movie I get Dolby on my receiver and it sounds great.
For the handbrake phase I have been using the settings on this thread. But as I mentioned in my post above I cannot see the diff between constant quality 21 and 24. I even tried variable rate avg of 2500 and it looks great. Curious what others see.

Scratch the last comment, I watched the 2500 variable rate and i can clearly see flaws. So I will probably go with Constant quality 23, seems like great quality while minimizing size.

This is a Windows workflow, but I've been searching high and low on these and many other forums to find a MAC way to do this. Just to note, I even tried the Windows way in Fusion, but it did not work. I figure a Mac way would be better anyways. Does ANYONE have a way to burn in forced subs on a Mac? I can't convert my Avatar and Iron Man without one...

Cave Man
Oct 17, 2010, 08:06 AM
Does ANYONE have a way to burn in forced subs on a Mac? I can't convert my Avatar and Iron Man without one...

If you can find an SRT file for those then you can integrate it with Handbrake's nightly builds.

NightStorm
Oct 17, 2010, 01:10 PM
If you can find an SRT file for those then you can integrate it with Handbrake's nightly builds.

But you can't burn in SRT subtitles.

Cave Man
Oct 17, 2010, 01:15 PM
OK, didn't know that. So when I extract the forced subs from Iron Man using clown_BD, then pass them through BDSup2Sub, then remux those with mkvmerge, Handbrake will burn those?

GermanSuplex
Oct 24, 2010, 04:41 AM
I've got a blu-ray with interlaced VC-1 video. I'm using Windows 7. I ripped to MKV with MakeMKV no problem.

With playback of the MKV files, I couldn't get any picture, only sound. This was using both VLC Player and Windows Media Player.

I installed Shark Codecs and can get playback, but it's very rough and choppy with WMP. VLC still has no picture.

I used MPEG Video Wizard and have converted different formats of MPG, but the resulting files are still choppy. Even when converting to mp4 with Handbrake, the resulting files look like the choppy VC-1 videos or converted MPG videos.

Anyone know of a good way to convert VC-1 interlaced content, or at least getting it to playback smoothly? H.264 content gives me no problems.

OK, didn't know that. So when I extract the forced subs from Iron Man using clown_BD, then pass them through BDSup2Sub, then remux those with mkvmerge, Handbrake will burn those?

This worked perfectly on my Avatar blu-ray MKV, as well as a couple of other Blu-Rays with forced subtitles.

This is a picture using the above procedure. File plays back perfectly on my Apple devices (iPad, ATV, etc.) and only the Navi parts are burned in:

http://i55.tinypic.com/k9cp55.png

roidy
Oct 24, 2010, 09:23 AM
This worked perfectly on my Avatar blu-ray MKV, as well as a couple of other Blu-Rays with forced subtitles.

This is a picture using the above procedure. File plays back perfectly on my Apple devices (iPad, ATV, etc.) and only the Navi parts are burned in:

Just nit picking but your Avatar subs are the wrong color, they should be yellow. What you need to do is in BDSup2Sub under the settings menu select 'Swap Cr/Cb', this will make them look wrong in BDSup2Sub but correct once encoded in Handbrake.

Also the frame you have posted seems to be a lossless 1.6meg PNG file but it looks horriblely compressed and soft, what Handbrake settings did you use? and what bitrate did the file turn out to be?

I've said it before I always use a deblocking setting of -1,-1 in Handbrake because I think Handbrake creates encodes that are far to soft and blurry.

BlackMangoTree
Oct 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
ANy MacMini will be painfully slow when encoding Bluray.

GermanSuplex
Oct 24, 2010, 11:43 AM
Just nit picking but your Avatar subs are the wrong color, they should be yellow. What you need to do is in BDSup2Sub under the settings menu select 'Swap Cr/Cb', this will make them look wrong in BDSup2Sub but correct once encoded in Handbrake.

Also the frame you have posted seems to be a lossless 1.6meg PNG file but it looks horriblely compressed and soft, what Handbrake settings did you use? and what bitrate did the file turn out to be?

I've said it before I always use a deblocking setting of -1,-1 in Handbrake because I think Handbrake creates encodes that are far to soft and blurry.

It's just a screengrab from VLC. From my experience, when taking a quick screengrab in VLC, quality is never indicative of how good the video actually looks.

I just use the Universal setting. The quality is superb on my HDTV. I don't worry about fine-tuning the settings, I'm perfectly happy with the preset. Bitrate is a little over 5,188Kbps.

As for the subs being the wrong color, thanks for the info.

*I tried your info regarding subtitles. Used BDSup2Sub, clicked on the option you told me... forced subs are still blue.

Mac In School
Oct 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Ripping my first Bluray right now, and I'm still way unclear about the forced subtitles issue.

A forced subtitle is one necessary to understand the movie in it's native language, right? Such as the aliens (or whatever they are) in Avatar.

The Mac workflow strips them out?

Is there a way to tell if a movie has/needs them without watching it first? Maybe an online BR database built by a community of rippers?

Thanks.

Mac In School
Oct 28, 2010, 07:37 AM
As a follow-up to my own questions...

I notice that MKV gives you the opportunity to choose which subtitles to include, and has a "forced only" option. Handbrake seems to offer to choose "Forced only" and "Burned in" on the "Subtitles" tab.

Wouldn't that fix all our woes?

The movie I was ripping actually had two sets of subtitles for each language in MKV...

English
- Forced Only
Spanish
- Forced Only
French
- Forced Only
English
- Forced Only
Spanish
- Forced Only
French
- Forced Only

Why? And would you include both English Forced Only?

Sky Blue
Oct 29, 2010, 08:36 AM
I've ripped a couple of movies and they've all worked fine. I did one yesterday and only the audio would play in VLC and Handbrake gave me a 'no valid format' error. Any ideas what I did wrong?

GermanSuplex
Oct 31, 2010, 04:29 AM
You got no picture in VLC? Your video is probably interlaced VC-1 video, which is a tough format. I installed Shark 7 windows codecs for windows 7, but the file plays back choppy. Handbrake can't read the mkv. When I convert to mpg, it still plays back choppy and the mp4 Handbrake creates also plays back choppy.

I've read tons of threads/posts on the subject but have had no luck in converting the problematic Blu-Ray.

The.316
Oct 31, 2010, 05:37 AM
Might be a stupid question, but how do you change the resolution, like to what Tommy suggested?

The.316
Nov 1, 2010, 12:15 PM
Might be a stupid question, but how do you change the resolution, like to what Tommy suggested?

Anyone?

rayward
Nov 1, 2010, 01:20 PM
Anyone?

Call up the picture settings dialog box, either from the menu bar or by hitting CTRL-Apple Command-P. You will then see the controls to change the resolution.

The.316
Nov 1, 2010, 02:01 PM
Call up the picture settings dialog box, either from the menu bar or by hitting CTRL-Apple Command-P. You will then see the controls to change the resolution.

Do I have to be using a nightly build, because I do not see anything in the picture settings, nor does the key command work. This is what it looks like for me:

dhy8386
Nov 1, 2010, 02:13 PM
Do I have to be using a nightly build, because I do not see anything in the picture settings, nor does the key command work. This is what it looks like for me:

My friend, the resolution settings are the heigh and width. So for 1080p you would set the width to 1920 and for 720p you would set the width to 1280.

dhy8386
Nov 1, 2010, 02:24 PM
Ripping my first Bluray right now, and I'm still way unclear about the forced subtitles issue.

A forced subtitle is one necessary to understand the movie in it's native language, right? Such as the aliens (or whatever they are) in Avatar.

The Mac workflow strips them out?

Is there a way to tell if a movie has/needs them without watching it first? Maybe an online BR database built by a community of rippers?

Thanks.

The issue is that forced subtitles have whats called a forced flag which when set properly to yes tell the player (VLC, WMP, Boxee, AppleTV, etc) to play the subtitle track (called forced) at the appropriate times. Unfortunately this "flag" is not necessarily supported by all players the same way, especially when you start changing from the original containers into MKV, MV4, etc. As an FYI, some movies like the Godfather "burn in" their forced subtitles into the video file and thus there isnt even a separate subtitle track to worry about.

What handbrake allows, is for you to take a forced subtitle track that you extracted and instead of just making it the default subtitle track (this would be the one the player looks for first) and also the forced track (so if you have subtitles turned off on your player, with a forced flag it the player will auto play them thus you dont have to worry about turning on subtitles for certain movies), Handbrake allows you to "burn in" the subtitle forced track and thus avoid the issue completely and free you from having to worry about compatibility.

Any many people here do not need/want any subtitle track unless it is forced so the issue becomes properly extracting the correct forced subtitle track. And a disc may have multiple forced subs based on diff languages and various versions of the video (ie original, alt ending, commentary versions, etc). Per my other thread which you have seen, i have found that EAC3toGUI Plus is the easiest/best at auto extracting the forced subs and hence why i use it. That way, if it pulls a sub, i am very confident it is the correct one and thus I ALWAYS burn in the subs in handbrake (to be safe, i actually check all 3 options - default, forced, burn in).

Lastly, is someone over at AVS who was keeping a list of all movies with forced subs. Dont know how often it is updates, but FWIW

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t8Xb85eyNFtZ3vaNK8gqkbQ&single=true&gid=0&output=html

and also

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPHEQXreaojFzWEoVbULwQA&hl=en#gid=0

canyonblue737
Nov 1, 2010, 03:05 PM
I've ripped a couple of movies and they've all worked fine. I did one yesterday and only the audio would play in VLC and Handbrake gave me a 'no valid format' error. Any ideas what I did wrong?

That has something to do with some of the subtitle / alternate language tracks. If you rerip the title in MakeMKV but deselect everything but the DD/DTS English track and then encode you will not get the error. Seems to happen only with early Blurays.

Sky Blue
Nov 1, 2010, 03:08 PM
That has something to do with some of the subtitle / alternate language tracks. If you rerip the title in MakeMKV but deselect everything but the DD/DTS English track and then encode you will not get the error. Seems to happen only with early Blurays.

Thanks, i'll give that a go tonight. It's a BBC Blu-Ray from Jan 2011.

rayward
Nov 1, 2010, 03:09 PM

That's the correct box. As dhy said, you adjust the width and height to 1280 x 720, set Anamorphic to "Custom" and make sure that "Keep Aspect Ratio" is checked. That's it. The result looks great!

rayward
Nov 1, 2010, 03:11 PM
Thanks, i'll give that a go tonight. It's a BBC Blu-Ray from Jan 2011.

Presumably, Doctor Who.

Sky Blue
Nov 1, 2010, 03:13 PM
Presumably, Doctor Who.

Indeed, it's End of Time Part 1. I'm buying Season 5 next week, so I hope it's not an issue with all the BBC Worldwide/2|Entertain discs.

emaja
Nov 1, 2010, 04:17 PM
I am having a problem with the subs on "Hero" - the Tarantino/Jet Li movie from 2002.

I used MakeMKV and the subs ripped fine as I can play the rip in VLC and the subs show just fine. When I convert it using Handbrake, the subs do not carry over.

Not sure how to get them to "stick."

The.316
Nov 2, 2010, 09:01 AM
That's the correct box. As dhy said, you adjust the width and height to 1280 x 720, set Anamorphic to "Custom" and make sure that "Keep Aspect Ratio" is checked. That's it. The result looks great!

Would the size of the original video prevent me from changing the resolution? I cant change neither the width or the height to the 1080p size. It allows me to change it only to 768 i believe.

rayward
Nov 2, 2010, 10:02 AM
Would the size of the original video prevent me from changing the resolution? I cant change neither the width or the height to the 1080p size. It allows me to change it only to 768 i believe.

I've never upscaled an encode, but when downscaling from a 1080p source, simply use the up/down arrows to change the width, height and anamorphic settings as previously advised, and Handbrake will do the rest.

I have done this hundreds of times, and the output through Apple TV on my 55" LCD looks fantastic.

The.316
Nov 2, 2010, 03:21 PM
I've never upscaled an encode, but when downscaling from a 1080p source, simply use the up/down arrows to change the width, height and anamorphic settings as previously advised, and Handbrake will do the rest.

I have done this hundreds of times, and the output through Apple TV on my 55" LCD looks fantastic.

Ok, let me explain to you what I did. I saw the thread, and I wanted to create a custom preset for HD content. When I opened a source, I just chose the first video I saw, which was a 50 second clip of something. I chose it just so I can change the resolution, then save it as a new preset. Im thinking because the clip was so small, resolution size and storage size, it wouldnt let me configure it to 1080p. Im thinking I will just rip a blu ray movie I have, then try it out then, and see if that works.

Sorry for the confusion. Im not trying to upscale anything. I can get the hang of things like this pretty quickly, I just get stuck on things sometimes. I appreciate the help.

rayward
Nov 2, 2010, 03:44 PM
Ok, let me explain to you what I did. I saw the thread, and I wanted to create a custom preset for HD content. When I opened a source, I just chose the first video I saw, which was a 50 second clip of something. I chose it just so I can change the resolution, then save it as a new preset. Im thinking because the clip was so small, resolution size and storage size, it wouldnt let me configure it to 1080p. Im thinking I will just rip a blu ray movie I have, then try it out then, and see if that works.

Sorry for the confusion. Im not trying to upscale anything. I can get the hang of things like this pretty quickly, I just get stuck on things sometimes. I appreciate the help.

OK, you lost me. You can create a preset in Handbrake, and it doesn't matter how long the clip is in run time. The issue with Apple TV (which is what I think / thought we were discussing) is that it can accept only iTunes-friendly formats, subject to them meeting certain other requirements. An encode that will play in iTunes will not necessarily play on an Apple TV.

If you have a Blu Ray rip that's 1080p, and you want it to play on an Apple TV, you have to downscale it to 720p and make sure that the bit rate doesn't go crazy (it rarely does if you encode it with the appropriate settings). Handbrake's Apple TV preset will try to control the bit rate, but will default to DVD quality, not HD. To get HD, you have to go into the picture settings, and force the width x height to be 1280 x 720, setting anamorphic to "Custom" and checking the "Keep Aspect Ratio" option. If you do this, you will get a 720p HD file that will play beautifully on your Apple TV.

The Apple TV preset will create an AC3 passthru track for true 5.1 sound...if one is available. If not, that's a whole nother issue that requires additional steps of the use of a potentially unstable "nightly build" of Handbrake. That stuff is discussed at length elsewhere on this board.

If you are trying to encode a DVD, the Apple TV preset works fine without any tweaks.

MacUser09
Nov 14, 2010, 02:17 PM
Can anyone help a ripper novice?

I have attempted to rip some of my Blu Ray collection for the first time this weekend, using MakeMKV and Handbrake (nightly build).
I have used the Apple TV preset, with "Picture Settings" set to 1280x720, as suggested by others on this forum.

Some rips have been successful, including American Gangster, and 2012, although I have to figure how to to the subtitles in that one.

However in my last rip, "Master and Commander", although the picture is very good, the sound is "juddering" if you know what I mean.

Any idea what might be causing this?

I have tried playing it in VLC, Quicktime, and iTunes, all with same effect.

Thanks for any advice.

KeithJenner
Nov 14, 2010, 02:33 PM
I've not had this problem, but are you sure you are using the right soundtrack from the Blu-Ray?

MacUser09
Nov 15, 2010, 12:10 AM
I've not had this problem, but are you sure you are using the right soundtrack from the Blu-Ray?

I guess the best thing to do, is to try again using another soundtrack. Thanks for the suggestion.

gunthermic
Nov 18, 2010, 05:56 PM
Alot of information to digest here. But I still have questions:

Tommy stated best setup was this:
Add this to the advance tab:

Here is my senireo though:

Apple TV (1st Gen) connected to 32" LED (780p)
Apple TV (2nd Gen) connected to 42" Plasma(1080p)
iPad
Dolbly Digital Reciever

I do encode telling it to pull AAC and passthrough AC-3 so it has audio for both Dobly Digital 5.1 Sound and Stereo sound for iPad.

If I encode using the High profile, then make the changes Tommy states turns out great for ATV2 and is playable on iPad. However the play back on the ATV1 is grainey, and the screen seems to go light and dark. Cloud scences(Harry Potty Blue-Ray) Seems very pixelated and not very smooth.

Any sugestions? Do I need to rip a HD version amd a SD version? If so what settings?

To rip a DVD do you leave all the settings the same except change resolution?

Also trying to use MakeMKV for first time and only selecting 1 title anytime i try to open the source from (Nightly build) of handbrake i get No Title(s) found error.

This is my 3 go around on this. LOl I ripped over 300 of the 1200 I have using DVDFab, and realized on stereo sound, changed to Handbrake with DVDPasskey for decoding it and I get AAC and AC-3, but now want better video quality.

Drive space is not issue and well as computer i7 with 8 gig memory..

Eveey movie i have encode with above setings I get invalid error 2401 invalid sample description and file wont open.

gunthermic
Nov 19, 2010, 05:50 AM
Bump

motoko2030
Nov 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
I have a Mac Pro late 2008 model and I am thinking of converting my Blu ray discs to video files to be played on my iPad and AppleTV.

I read that makemkv tool for the most part is easy to use in ripping a blu ray disc into a MKV file then using handbrake to convert that MKV file into a M4v file.

I also read that makemkv will only work if Mac OS X recognizes a Blu ray writer or a Blu-ray combo drive.

Does anyone know of a cheap good external blu ray writer or a blu ray combo drive that is recognized by Mac OS X.

emaja
Nov 19, 2010, 11:35 PM
Not being snarky, but that was answered on the first page of this thread.

I use THIS (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106325) drive and a discontinued enclosure from OWC. THIS (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/VL2STOPTU2/) looks to be the closest one that they currently offer.