Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sevag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2001
cause im not paying 130 for an update installer, i want the full install soi can reformat my HD, and start out clean with Jag.. BTW, is it true that you can send in a coupon that proves that you bought 10 or 10.1, and you get the jaguar updater for 20$?

lost_n_mad

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
Savannah, GA
Yes, it is a full install disk. This will not be like the upgrade disk for 10.1 that they gave out for free, so you will be able to do a clean install, and start fresh. And no, the coupons only work for Mac's purchased after July 17th, which is a bit of a punch in the jaw. Still for the money, it's a good OS.

sevag1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2001
thnxs lost_n_bad..

Rich its pretty easy, theres a lot of ways you can do it.. Heres one way.. Lets say you bought jaguar, and you want to format your hd, you pop in the jag cd and restart.. once your in the installer of the cd, there should be some sort of disc utility on it which gives you the ability to format your hd, as well as make partitions..

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Re: re format

Originally posted by richierich
may be a stupid question but how do you format the hard disk!

I am new to macs so am unsure.......

if you are installing 10.2 you will have an option to erase the disk and load (as well as a couple of different options.

if you are not upgrading (or loading) to 10.2 if you boot to either your OS 9 or OS X install CD there will be a utility called Drive Setup and you can initalize and or partition the drive.

as for 10.2 being an update or full - it is the full version but if you want to do the upgrade option from the 10.2 CD you HAVE to have 10.1 loaded on the computer.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
if I upgrade from 10.1.5 HFS+ to Jaguar HFS+, will I have to wipe my entire drive in order to get the Mac OS Extended, or no?

(I hope that made sense)

in other words, can I still have an HFS+ operating system, without wiping my drive, after installing Jaguar?

THANKS!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
if I upgrade from 10.1.5 HFS+ to Jaguar HFS+, will I have to wipe my entire drive in order to get the Mac OS Extended, or no?

(I hope that made sense)

in other words, can I still have an HFS+ operating system, without wiping my drive, after installing Jaguar?

THANKS!

As far as I've seen from the development documentation, there will be no changes to HFS+...in Jaguar or otherwise. The specifications were made public a couple of years ago.

So, if you're going from 10.1.5 to 10.2 and your format is already HFS+, there's no change in the disk formatting whatsoever, just the contents. :)

Geek73

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Upgrade / Slick

After using a PC since IBM DOS v2.11, I have learned to slick the HD and do a clean install whenever possible in the Windows world. (In fact, slicking my HD every two months or so is one of the reasons I bought a Mac several weeks ago...) After becoming a Macintosh believer, I'd like to think that the Upgrade path is fairly robust, but I hear a lot of persons talk about slicking hardrives prior to installing Jaguar. I've got my Jag CD's next to me, but wanted to know some of your experiences: Do I slick with the Archive option, or just do an Upgrade?

Geek73

Geek73

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
"Slick" as defined by any of us Windows converts--that I know anyways--involves reformatting the harddrive, at a minimum. It often means doing a few sacred rain-dances and repartitioning as well, just to ensure all the 1's and 0's are lined up just the right way for Windows to operate smoothly. In fact, if our rain-dance is approved, we may be able to get up to 12 weeks of smooth operation prior to doing the entire thing again...

You would think that a CompSci grad had more faith in computers, but I would have to say that I have been tainted...

I *can* get my hands dirty if required. Done several years of programming on Solaris and Linux, and have managed several Linux boxes at one time or another. But I promised my wife that this new computer wouldn't be subject to the same problems that Windows users are cursed with simply because Mac OS X is "it."

Well, I bought the new CD's, and I want to spruce things up even more, lured by the notion of Rendezvous talking with my P4 and Athlon boxes upstairs, and lured by Quartz Extreme, etc, but I don't want to show any significant downtime. It would kill my entire reasoning to buy a Mac, which I have since come to love...

Apple has done nothing but seriously impress me with Mac OS X, and I don't want to spoil the honeymoon yet...

Geek73

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Re: Upgrade / Slick

Originally posted by Geek73
After using a PC since IBM DOS v2.11, I have learned to slick the HD and do a clean install whenever possible in the Windows world. (In fact, slicking my HD every two months or so is one of the reasons I bought a Mac several weeks ago...) After becoming a Macintosh believer, I'd like to think that the Upgrade path is fairly robust, but I hear a lot of persons talk about slicking hardrives prior to installing Jaguar. I've got my Jag CD's next to me, but wanted to know some of your experiences: Do I slick with the Archive option, or just do an Upgrade?

Geek73

HA!! got ya beat...I have been working with PC's since DOS 1.2 (the original IBM PC 8086) but now work on both sides of the street. As for the option to upgrade or initalize the drive and do a clean install I would just do the Archive and save your user info. I have loaded 10.2 on probably 7 computers now and have only had issues on one but we had already backuped the data so it wasn't that bad nuking the drive...but in general either the upgrade or archive options should be fine. On both of my systems I just did the upgrade and things have been running smooth

(PS no flames here either....I work for Apple and have helped some of the people in my group do the 10.2 update)

Sepulchre

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
UK
I've said this somewhere else, but forget where.....

I'm running 10.2 installed as an update to 10.1.5. Its been running fine for 3 weeks (no flames please its a legit copy from ADC).

I think the best plan with this is if you've got lots of haxies in place do a clean install, if not go with the upgrade option. Make sure you take a backup of anything important first should you run into problems. If you do find its not quite right you will be safe and can just do a clean install.

HTH

Geek73

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
HA!! got ya beat...I have been working with PC's since DOS 1.2 (the original IBM PC 8086) but now work on both sides of the street. As for the option to upgrade or initalize the drive and do a clean install I would just do the Archive and save your user info. I have loaded 10.2 on probably 7 computers now and ready backuped the data so it wasn't that bad nuking the drive...but in general either the upgrade or archive options should be fine. On both of my systems I just did the upgrade and things have been running smooth

Thanks for the advice. I would have to issue you a challenge concerning any computer made by IBM with the Intel 8086 CPU. IBM itself never made a PC with this CPU. When IBM created the original IBM PC and released it in 1981, it used the 8088 due to its 16-bit processing architecture, and 8-bit external data bus. If we recall, 8-bit data bus expansion adapters were more-or-less industry standard, thus less expensive. Similarly, 16-bit adapters were relatively new and more expensive. Because of these factors, IBM did not release a personal computer with a 16-bit data bus until the IBM PC AT, with the Intel 80286 processor engine.

You can find a few clones which implemented the 8086, which were known for their faster expansion card I/O capabilities. There were even a very few 80186-based clones, but none that I can specifically recall at the moment.

:confused: I really don't know what inspired me to say all of that. What I wanted to say was, "Gee, thanks for the Macintosh advice, since I don't know much about them... By the way, what backup software do you recommend?"

Geek73

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by Geek73

Thanks for the advice. I would have to issue you a challenge concerning any computer made by IBM with the Intel 8086 CPU. IBM itself never made a PC with this CPU. When IBM created the original IBM PC and released it in 1981, it used the 8088 due to its 16-bit processing architecture, and 8-bit external data bus. If we recall, 8-bit data bus expansion adapters were more-or-less industry standard, thus less expensive. Similarly, 16-bit adapters were relatively new and more expensive. Because of these factors, IBM did not release a personal computer with a 16-bit data bus until the IBM PC AT, with the Intel 80286 processor engine.

my bad...I always did get those mixed up but it was the IBM PC and it was ordered in December of '82 if I remember right (didn't receive it until July or August of '83) it was a bitch of a Christmas present to have an envelope saying it has been ordered but there was a 6-9 month wait on it! I am digging way back in the gray matter but I think I was either in Jr high or just entered HS when we got it.

Geek73

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2002
Chesapeake, VA
Backup software

Well, again, I appreciate your taking the time to help out an old geek... I have been doing a bit of research, and think I'll be purchasing the Dantz' Retrospect Express. I'm sure a nice set of unix scripts would do just fine, but I want to have a nice reliable backup program, and it seems to fit the bill. Plus, Dantz was making Retrospect when I was still learning x86 Assembler, so I'm sure they qualify on the experience scale...

:( The only really hard part is patience: I must wait for my copy of Retrospect to arrive prior to installing Jaguar. Perhaps I'll check out Carbon Copy Cloner, although it's author says there are 10.2 (X.II Roman) compatibility problems yet to be resolved.

Here's to Apple! The creator of the World's Finest Computer System!

:D

Geek73

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.