PDA

View Full Version : iPodLounge reviews iPod Socks

MacBytes
Dec 1, 2004, 07:44 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: iPodLounge reviews iPod Socks (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041201204449)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

shadowfax
Dec 1, 2004, 08:45 PM
i bought a box of socks and divied them up amongst my friends for christmas presents--2 for each of my two friends, and 2 for me, and i thought that worked. They're not very useful for anything more than keeping the iPod from scratches, but they're fun and colorful, and relatively cheap if you divide them up. I guess the reviewers more or less said this, but i don't see why they'd give them such a poor rating in light of that. They're socks, not "shoes." and like socks as opposed to shoes, they just cover the ipod with a pliable, soft cloth--not some elaborate dent-proof cover that's supposed to allow you to operate it while it's on. they're easy to slide one and off, and they're just fun. I'd give them a B+ or A- myself. but that's just me.

nagromme
Dec 1, 2004, 11:00 PM
The funniest thing is the reviewers picking up the cry of "these cost more than human socks, even though they're SMALLER than human socks!" :D

How surreal. I suspect these are custom made for Apple and not identical to human socks, despite the name on the box ;)

Santaduck
Dec 1, 2004, 11:08 PM
nonetheless they were quite pricey...

i was at my local ARS and almost grabbed a box at the register while buying gifts... if they were 1/2 the price I would've considered it...

Dr. Dastardly
Dec 1, 2004, 11:13 PM
I have used many of cases to keep my iPod prestine. The best at that was no doubt the Showcase. I felt like I could drive over it with a truck and not break it.
But it also made it bulky, heavy, and complicated to try to fit on a belt or pants and not let it start to sag to much. I about doubles the weight and the thick protective plastic makes it to thick to really put in your pocket comfortably.
The belt clip just broke off out of to much use so I was thinking of getting just some type of clear film to put over the display but am still concerned about the rest. Also I don't really trust a small piece of film to protect it much if I throw the thing in with my keys and change. The iPod socks I think are perfect for my needs. Simple is basically all I need. But these are also fun and pretty cheap if you divide them amongst your friends for gifts or a split purchase or something.
Just about anyone who I have talked to about cases for the iPod all agree that it is best to just use it the way it is. Nekkid.

nagromme
Dec 1, 2004, 11:51 PM
They're pricey if you buy 6 and discard 1--which is what I would do since I only like the gray!

If you really DO want a color choice, at $5 apiece these are among the cheapest iPod sleeves out there.

I personally recommend the RadTech PodSleevz instead. The scroll wheel is covered but marked on the case, and it still works through the fabric--quite well. And the window lets you see, while a slot at the bottom lets you charge/synch. Only reason to take it out of the sleeve ever is to use a dock. And unlike rubber skins, I don't worry so much about trapping grit. This case holds firmly, but it's very soft inside and out (same stuff they use to clean LCDs).

Best of all, it's thin--slight side padding, but basically leaves your iPod as portable as it was meant to be. And it fits the iPod Photo too :)

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Podsleevz.aspx

deral
Dec 2, 2004, 12:13 AM
I freggin ADORE them iSocks. I bought one set, and I plan on buying two more (one for a friend and the other just to admire and not use). I honestly think that it is such a great idea. I had the typical silicon-type cases galore, and I hated them. They made the iPod so humangounous. When I took them off (the cases), I realized, wow, how beautiful the iPod is. That's why I like the sock. It keeps the beuaty of the iPod. You don't need no holes in the case to plug in your cords and stuff, it's a freggin sock. I love it. The only thing I don't love is that I only used one sock, and it's already been stretched out after a couple of days use--and it gets scruffy fast. But I guess that's what socks do. I got a cute comment by couple of some girls that giggled that my iPod had a sock on it. See worth the 29. I love the socks, did I mention that?

wdlove
Dec 2, 2004, 11:23 AM
The Radtech PodSleevz / miniSleevz look very nice. You don't get the Apple Logo, only one color, and still can't use the Dock.

the_mole1314
Dec 2, 2004, 12:34 PM
The Radtech PodSleevz / miniSleevz look very nice. You don't get the Apple Logo, only one color, and still can't use the Dock.

I have them and they are great. You see the screen, controll the ipod, and dock connector. You get choices of color, but you only order one.

sjk
Dec 3, 2004, 02:46 PM
I personally recommend the RadTech PodSleevz instead.[/url]Nice. I like the protective screen window that most sleeves lack. That might have been ideal for my wife's mini except for one thing: no protection against accidentally scroll wheel pressure (e.g. books resting on it). I suspect that's what caused the wheel to malfunction after she'd been transporting the mini in her daypack. It needed repair and Apple gave her a replacement. So I bought her the SportSuit™ Convertible for iPod Mini (http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Marware.woa/4/wa/selectedCategory?catalogCatID=138), which is certainly bulkier than a sleeve but it's been fine and she's not anxious about protecting it. If it were me I'd probably like that miniSleevz sleeve for regular use, then store/carry the mini in some cheap generic case when transport durability were an issue.

Re: iPod socks. Why would I want to put an iPod in something that would make it warmer, especially here in Hawaii? :)

rhpenguin
Dec 3, 2004, 08:14 PM
Re: iPod socks. Why would I want to put an iPod in something that would make it warmer, especially here in Hawaii? :)

Something us poor buggers in Canada need desperatly :P

Sweetfeld28
Dec 4, 2004, 10:36 AM
for those intrested:

I just received the J. Crew holiday issue a couple of days ago. While i was looking through it, i came accrossed this "OLD SCHOOL REPP TIE MP3 CASE". in the picture they have the iPod head phones coming out of it, so i presume it would fit.

BTW, the item number is 67004V. $29.50
J.Crew iPod case (http://jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod67004790&_requestid=22003)