PDA

View Full Version : A look at the U2 iPod

MacBytes
Dec 1, 2004, 07:46 PM
Category: Reviews
Link: A look at the U2 iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041201204609)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Phat_Pat
Dec 1, 2004, 08:20 PM
i didn't like there new album... so i would have no desire to buy this unless U2 wasn't all over it.

shamino
Dec 1, 2004, 08:51 PM
i didn't like there new album... so i would have no desire to buy this unless U2 wasn't all over it.
Does this come as any surprise?

Why would you pay an extra $50 for U2-styled colors if you don't like U2's music and therefore won't use the bundled iTMS coupon ($50 off of the $150 U2 box set.)

If all you want is a colored 4G iPod, you can buy one from ColorWare PC (http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=30) in any of 20 colors and not have to worry about any U2 stuff getting near it :)

JeDiBoYTJ
Dec 1, 2004, 10:16 PM
I like U2's new album... but I dont think the U2 iPod is worth the extra 50 bucks they are asking for it.

And I thought it was supposed to come pre-loaded with the complete U2 Collection, or at least given free to buyers of the U2 iPod... but its only $50 off... but I guess it makes sense... you pay $50 more for the iPod, and get a $50 iTMS Gift Certificate to fund the purchase the U2 Collection...

Dr. Dastardly
Dec 1, 2004, 11:18 PM
I like U2's new album... but I dont think the U2 iPod is worth the extra 50 bucks they are asking for it.

And I thought it was supposed to come pre-loaded with the complete U2 Collection, or at least given free to buyers of the U2 iPod... but its only $50 off... but I guess it makes sense... you pay $50 more for the iPod, and get a $50 iTMS Gift Certificate to fund the purchase the U2 Collection...
I thought it was going to come preloaded aswell. I think it would have been better just to charge an extra $100 and preload the thing with all the songs then to offer a $50 coupon off the itunes store. You would think that that would be worth it to Apple to sell more iPods then a measly $50 from the music store.

I guess I can't really tell Apple how to run their business though seeing that their stock is at record highs. :D

nagromme
Dec 2, 2004, 02:50 AM
I think the coupon may have been a good compromise--you're paying $50 for the U2 on the back and the unusual color... and SOME people will pay that for the color alone. I might, if I liked it better than white.

A higher price that included ALL the songs instead of $50-off would have been convenient, but would have appealed to fewer people. (Plus, if they were actually pre-loaded, Apple would have needed a software solution to DRM the songs WITHOUT an account tied to them, and then tie them to your account after the fact. Imagine the legal hassles alone every time there's a change to the DRM system.)

jholzner
Dec 2, 2004, 07:24 AM
I thought it was going to come preloaded aswell. I think it would have been better just to charge an extra $100 and preload the thing with all the songs then to offer a $50 coupon off the itunes store. You would think that that would be worth it to Apple to sell more iPods then a measly $50 from the music store.

I guess I can't really tell Apple how to run their business though seeing that their stock is at record highs. :D

If it came preloaded it would violate the Apple Corp/Apple Comp. agreement for sure. The agreement states that Apple Comp. wont dist. music on a physical medium. A harddrive is such a medium.

dashiel
Dec 2, 2004, 01:06 PM
you also have to think if someone is a big enough U2 fan to shell out an extra $50 for different colors and etched signatures, it's a good bet they own a lot of U2 albums already and might not want to "pay" to own them all again.

on a separate note, i'm not a huge fan of U2, but i'm tempted to purchase the box set just to see what the experience is like. that's a load of tracks on the box set.

nagromme
Dec 2, 2004, 03:17 PM
Apparently even if you have all the studio albums, you get over 100 rare and live tracks, so many fans will still find the $99 worth it once they have the iPod.

Plus there's the digital liner notes :D

wordmunger
Dec 2, 2004, 03:22 PM
The other problem with pre loading is this: how would you get the music onto your computer? Wouldn't it be erased as soon as you synced with iTunes?

Dec 4, 2004, 07:11 AM
I have the iPod US Special Edition and I have to say it is a work of art. Also, as iPods are becoming more the norm now to see in the public, it's nice to show off something different ;)