Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
I plan on adding my PowerBook 520c to my wired network. The wired network will also consist of an AirPort Extreme Base Station, an ethernet switch (model not) choosen, my iMac, a Linux box, and at times a Wondows Nt book. Is this the adapter I need for the 520c? Asante 10BT Thin combo AAUI Transceiver

Is there anything I am overlooking. The 520c is running 7.5.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Looks like it. Had (have?) one of those, or something like it, for an old Performa at one time...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Jsmit said:
I plan on adding my PowerBook 520c to my wired network. The wired network will also consist of an AirPort Extreme Base Station, an ethernet switch (model not) choosen, my iMac, a Linux box, and at times a Wondows Nt book. Is this the adapter I need for the 520c? Asante 10BT Thin combo AAUI Transceiver

Is there anything I am overlooking. The 520c is running 7.5.
Yes, you have the correct transceiver, but you have much more serious problems than that. The basic problem is that your PowerBook is 10 years old, or nearly so. You really need to upgrade your OS to MacOS 8.0. MacOS 8.1 will be just too slow on your computer. However, your hard disk is really limited. At a maximum of 32 MB of RAM, you are really contrained. The problem is that many websites today are incompatible with the browsers that you can run on System 7.5.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
MisterMe said:
The problem is that many websites today are incompatible with the browsers that you can run on System 7.5.

I haven't had a problem... then again, I haven't used it a lot...

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
It all depends on what he plans to do with the 520c. I have a 540c that I put on my network every once in a while. It makes a very good ssh (or telnet) machine, plus you can use MacLynx to view websites in text only. Email is also quite doable.

Modern browsing though, like Macrumors or something, will be ridiculously slow if not impossible. You might want to update to 7.5.5 if you're on 7.5.3 now (it's free.)

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
Thanks for the replies.

7.5.5 is actually running on the 520c, I should have checked before my last post but didn't feel like bootinng up the 532c at that time.

I want to network it so I can share files wirth the other Macs on the Network (both running 10.3.6, with the iMac also bootable in the latest revision of 9.2).

I may ocacasionally use it on the web, and I don't expext it to perfect.
Since the 520c is just a toy, I will use the AlBook for most of my browsing and email needs. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.