PDA

View Full Version : Second Life players wanted...

Santaduck
Dec 1, 2004, 08:46 PM
With all the recent forum posts about the MMORPG WoW, it got me thinking about the other massively multiplayer options out there.

Second Life (http://secondlife.com/) is now apparently gold or shipped for OS X. I'm looking for some players who know this game well and play on a Mac to tell us (me) about it...

there's a free trial, but it involves signing up for a month, then cancelling before the 7 days are up.

dotnina
Dec 1, 2004, 09:14 PM
I've played it. I have to admit, I didn't really "get" it. You should probably check out some kind of book or site to learn about the controls, maps, and general idea behind the game. I didn't do a whole lot of this, and I probably should have.

Basic idea: you're a person, and you go around meeting other people. It's kinda like The Sims Online, but without all the household chores. The people have some special powers -- for instance, you can fly. It's very fantasy-like.

The graphics are very good. I didn't do much while I played, just flew around an island. I ended up somewhere where some people were doing tricks -- juggling and the like. I ended up at a vehicle dealership where you could buy a motorcycle, dirt bike, boat, or other things. I'm sure it's a great game -- the graphics definetely rock -- but I didn't find it easy to pick up the way some games are (ie, The Sims Online). I played the beta version; hopefully they've improved usability since then.

applekid
Dec 2, 2004, 03:16 PM
I've heard it gets ridiculously choppy. As in 10 FPS, but I heard that from a guy on an eMac. However, I remember hearing someone on a Dual 1 GHz G4 (don't remember what graphics card) getting not much better.

Converted2Truth
Dec 2, 2004, 10:30 PM
I sure wish that someone could say that their Mac ran a new game fine. But it seems impossible. Even people who drop 4k on a new powermac are having issues with new games... that's just wrong. It hurts, and i feel the pain.

broken_keyboard
Dec 3, 2004, 07:41 AM
I played this about 6 months ago. I just went in and looked around for a few hours. I think the only good thing about it is the opportunity to build buildings and structures that you couldn't do in real life (because of no financing or something). I remember I looked through someone's art gallery - didn't know if I was trespassing or not. Apparently you retain copyright on any intellectual property you create in there. Also, you can make objects with behaviour by using a little scripting language they have devised.

Santaduck
Dec 5, 2004, 03:46 AM
Thanks everybody... would any of you be interested in submitting a piece to appear as a game review article? It would appear at Macologist (http://www.macologist.org). Either a 'mini review' or a longer one. The topics covered in the review are largely up to you (in other words don't just average a 1-10 score for a dozen parameters) and can be informal, just as long as the reader ends up with some clue about what they would get from Second Life.

applekid
Dec 5, 2004, 09:04 AM
Ask around the IMG forums. There's where I learned of the low FPSes in the early versions.