Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twilliams9476

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2010
Ok, so I have the Spring 2010 White Macbook. I also have the 8GB iPod Touch that was part of the back-to-school deal. I bought the Apple Remote today, and after I got home, I was looking up how to make it work with my iPod and Macbook, and I ran across several comments saying it would not work with any products after 2009. Can anyone confirm this? Also, if it should work with either one of my devices, can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks! :)

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
As far as I know, the Apple Remote works using IR. The Touch has no IR receiver and Apple stopped putting IR receivers in their MacBooks when they started making the Unibody models in late 2009 (I think it was).
Since you have a Touch you can download the free Apple Remote app from the App Store and you can control your iTunes with that. I would also recommend getting Rowmote as well but I think that costs. Rowmote has controls for a number of programs and the Pro version even enables you to use your Touch as a trackpad and keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.