PDA

View Full Version : Emailed HuluPlus & Got a response...

Andronicus
Aug 17, 2010, 11:38 PM
I emailed Hulu because i was a little disappointed about how limited the selection is for the iPhone/iPad app (I was hoping for $10/month I would get a better selection of shows). I've noticed lots of people ask why this is so I thought I would post their reply. Their response is below...

Jordan, Aug 17 20:27 (PDT):
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for writing in and I'm sorry you are disappointed with Hulu Plus this far.
I'm sorry to say that there are some restrictions on the content we can stream across the devices that currently support Hulu Plus. As some background, when we launched the free Hulu.com service, we obtained licensing to stream content direct from the PC – and only from the PC. With the launch of the subscription-based Hulu Plus service, we had to start over from scratch and acquire licensing to stream content on TVs, smart phones, and tablets as well as PCs. We tried to get as much overlap as possible (we want it all, of course), but there were some exceptions that we’ll continue to work to resolve.
Videos are our lifeblood so believe me when I say we are doing everything we can to add new content and expand the content from the classic Hulu site over into Hulu Plus. That said, it may be that Hulu Plus isn't for you at the moment. We understand that our customers have extremely high expectations for us and we want to exceed those expectations whenever possible but if we aren't living up to those expectations we want you to still find value in our free service and hopefully you'll consider coming back to Hulu Plus when you see the growth we are working so hard to create.
I can see that you have been a member for about 2 weeks now and have been using the service regularly so I'm willing to do whatever I can to help you out.
If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to respond to this e-mail and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Jordan
Hulu Support

I thought it was a nice reply, gave me a better perspective on the whole situation. Really though all I want is them to get Sunny streaming to the iPhone/iPad!!!

TraceyS/FL
Aug 18, 2010, 02:17 AM
This is why they need a FREE trial period.

I'm not sure I will ever activate my invite at this point....

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

saving107
Aug 18, 2010, 02:51 AM
This is why they need a FREE trial period.

I'm not sure I will ever activate my invite at this point....

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

I never understood the "Your invited to pay us $10 a month" thing they have going on right now.

it should have been a free trial period (for feedback and stuff) then apply the Pay Wall when their ready to launch.

Andronicus
Aug 18, 2010, 08:27 AM
Well I replied back thanking them for the info & that I would hold out for a little longer to see what new content they get. I told them thanks and to tell the team to keep up the good work. They mailed me back one last time…

Jordan, Aug 17 21:08 (PDT):
Hi Andrew,

I'll pass along your encouragement and thank you for your understanding.

I hate to tell people to hang on but I can assure you things will be changing quite a bit in the coming months and I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised when all is said and done.

Have a nice evening and please let us know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,
Jordan
Hulu Support

It sounds like they will be improving the service in the near future (to be expected I guess).

ashVID
Aug 18, 2010, 08:43 AM
I've referenced this for a while and it's the reason hulu was so aggressive shutting down set top boxes and so slow to incorporate into other devices. It's funny how maligned they are for charging $10 when, in fact, they are losing money for the most part. It's the content providers, guilds, etc. that are demanding more money.

ash =o)

mklnk
Aug 18, 2010, 08:57 AM
There will never be a free trial period because it isn't hulu deciding the prices. The content providers will not let you look at this information without giving them money in some form or another. Hulu is just a middle man trying to encourage content providers to broaden their range of outlets and make a couple of bucks in the process while the money changes hands mostly over their heads.

TraceyS/FL
Aug 18, 2010, 11:22 AM
I've referenced this for a while and it's the reason hulu was so aggressive shutting down set top boxes and so slow to incorporate into other devices. It's funny how maligned they are for charging $10 when, in fact, they are losing money for the most part. It's the content providers, guilds, etc. that are demanding more money.

I didn't malign them for charging the $10, all I expect is some sort of free period to try before i buy, even 48 hours would be better than what they are offering.

I got to try netflix for free for 30 days before paying up, without that 30 day trial i never would have joined.

And for the record, i have family that work "in the industry" so I understand all the hands in the pot and all that jazz.....

There will never be a free trial period because it isn't hulu deciding the prices. The content providers will not let you look at this information without giving them money in some form or another. Hulu is just a middle man trying to encourage content providers to broaden their range of outlets and make a couple of bucks in the process while the money changes hands mostly over their heads.
Then they need to be really really detailed in what is and isn't available on the various options before you join. Perhaps they have improved this since launch, but i want a detailed list first.... Let me look at a list and see that hey, my favorite show is on mobile, but my kids isn't and all that....

Andronicus
Aug 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
Then they need to be really really detailed in what is and isn't available on the various options before you join. Perhaps they have improved this since launch, but i want a detailed list first.... Let me look at a list and see that hey, my favorite show is on mobile, but my kids isn't and all that....

That's a good point and would have been nice. Honestly there are a few good shows available, but most is no name stuff I've never heard of. If I would've seen a list of what is and is not available I may of not been so eager to sign up & pay ten bucks a month (probably why they didn't do it). But I'm gonna keep it for now, it's pretty cool being a beta-tester. A free trial would of been cool like netflix does. Just FYI everyone they don't have, "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" available. Email them & tell them you want sunny!!!!

sp86
Aug 19, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm surprised they took the time to mail you back! Pleasantly surprised though.

I emailed Hulu because i was a little disappointed about how limited the selection is for the iPhone/iPad app (I was hoping for $10/month I would get a better selection of shows). I've noticed lots of people ask why this is so I thought I would post their reply. Their response is below...

Jordan, Aug 17 20:27 (PDT):
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for writing in and I'm sorry you are disappointed with Hulu Plus this far.
I'm sorry to say that there are some restrictions on the content we can stream across the devices that currently support Hulu Plus. As some background, when we launched the free Hulu.com service, we obtained licensing to stream content direct from the PC – and only from the PC. With the launch of the subscription-based Hulu Plus service, we had to start over from scratch and acquire licensing to stream content on TVs, smart phones, and tablets as well as PCs. We tried to get as much overlap as possible (we want it all, of course), but there were some exceptions that we’ll continue to work to resolve.
Videos are our lifeblood so believe me when I say we are doing everything we can to add new content and expand the content from the classic Hulu site over into Hulu Plus. That said, it may be that Hulu Plus isn't for you at the moment. We understand that our customers have extremely high expectations for us and we want to exceed those expectations whenever possible but if we aren't living up to those expectations we want you to still find value in our free service and hopefully you'll consider coming back to Hulu Plus when you see the growth we are working so hard to create.
I can see that you have been a member for about 2 weeks now and have been using the service regularly so I'm willing to do whatever I can to help you out.
If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to respond to this e-mail and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Jordan
Hulu Support

I thought it was a nice reply, gave me a better perspective on the whole situation. Really though all I want is them to get Sunny streaming to the iPhone/iPad!!!

foiden
Aug 20, 2010, 11:21 AM
The bigger question is how do they plan on competing with Netflix?

Andronicus
Aug 22, 2010, 12:33 AM

Maybe netflix and hulu should join forces! Huluflix! Hulunet!:p

ashVID
Aug 22, 2010, 12:56 PM

Easy, hulu offers a much larger catalog of current popular shows. Netflix has less legal headaches because, for the most part, their catalog only includes titles released on DVD. If you are focused on movies, Netflix is probably the better choice, if you are a TV viewer, hulu blows Netflix away.

ash =o)