Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
I heard beejive is good but it is 9.99. does anyone have this, is it worth it? otherwise, what are some free alternatives?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Beejive is the way to go, the free one's are OK but not fantastic.

I'm also a fan of IM+ Pro. You can always just use IM+ free if you don't mind ads and a few less features.

reaborg

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Santa Clara
I think Whatsapp is really good. Not only does it support cross platform, I love the push IM'ing as well. And it tells you when the message is received as well as read.

And you don't have to worry about logging on and off. It's always connected. And if someone in your contact list has it already, it automatically adds them to it's list.

For people who are coming from the blackberry platform, this app is the closest I found to blackberry messenger.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Whatsapp is awesome. It has a push feature so you know you have a new message even when the app is closed. You can send photos, videos, audio within the message and it is very stable and quick.

I use this all the time for free messaging it's awesome :D

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Apple needs to include an instant messaging app as part of the OS like the BBM. That would be sweet.

Ditto, my brother. I think its outrageous that AT&T charges the price they do for texts in addition to charging for INCOMING text (which you cannot control). So a 1st party solution, would replace texting to other iPhone users (as it would be counted as data).

Plus, I'm sure if Apple did incorporate an iPhone BBM, it would its own cool features.

But I digress, I'd say Meebo (though it has issues). Also, AIM does facebook and AOL if those are the ones you need to message.

bluer101

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I have been using AIM free version for a few years without a problem. I can text mobile numbers from it also. It has push which works great. My wife and I have the $5 text plan just for incoming messages and for picture messaging. Other than that we do all our texting through AIM.

Rusalka

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
Northern Virginia
Meebo is a fantastic app, highly reccomended!

No ads, push included as well as backgrounding. You can swipe to switch between conversations and link most of your accounts so you can use them in one app

sdmcwilliams

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I used to use yahoo messenger but just recently started using PingChat2. I have converted most of my family and friends to it. I like it other than the fact that there are no smileys. They just released it for BB and Android, too.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I had been using AOL IM which works just fine on my iPhone 4, but it logs you out after 24 hours of inactivity (I don't sit and IM/text all day every day).

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
Im using eBuddy ,is there really any difference on these im programs?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I'm wondering the same. I don't need tons of bells and whistles. I just want to be able to basically IM similar to normal text messaging so I don't have to pay for texts.

I also have Skype on my iPhone which can send messages, but I worry that it may drain the battery more. I just want something simple and reliable that won't totally drain the battery and won't log me out. I'm looking into:

AOL IM
Yahoo Chat
iTiM

Does Google have an app for their Google Talk?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I prefer Trillian at only 4.99.

It works with Astra, MSN, Facebook Chat, Yahoo, AIM, ICQ, G-Talk, MySpace and Jabber

It also backgrounds and notifies me of chats both by sound and visually when someone sends me a message.

You can control all accounts under one user name or individually. Have been using Trillian Desktop for years and have used the App since its release last year.

Highly Recommend this App!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.