Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demifuror

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Hi all,

Recently, my MacBook's screen started to flicker. After a bit of research, I read that it was most likely a problem with the inverter cable, which it was. So I took apart my MacBook and replaced the inverter cable. This involved removing the upper case/keyboard cover. The thing is, one of the screws holding the keyboard in place was broken, so I literally ripped the keyboard out (I plan on buying a replacement). So now I have a MacBook with no upper case/keyboard area, and it won't turn on.

I've removed the battery and I am just connecting it to the charger, but it still won't boot. I've managed to hook up my keyboard (disfigured as it is) and trackpad into the motherboard, so that I can use the power button, but no joy.

There doesn't seem to be any evidence of any fried components on the Motherboard. And if put the battery in, the little lights on it light up, so I'm assuming its receiving the power okay.

I'm thinking that maybe I need to put some screws back in place? Maybe the ones I removed to take the upper case/keyboard off?

Does anyone know what might be wrong with it?

Failing that, I'll accept its death, and buy a new one :)

Does anyone know how much I'd get for the different components? Screen, HDD, Disc drive, Ram, Inverter cable/board? Is there a place to sell MAcBook components other than eBay?

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Don't part it out, I wouldn't feel comfortable using 4 year old used components in a repair and you'd likely not get much for it. You probably tore the cable connecting the motherboard to the keyboard, if it's connected at the mobo, remove the gray plastic sticker underneath the trackpad and check those ribbon cables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.