Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HTML5, the Web standard promoted by Apple in favor of Flash as the future of media delivery on the Internet, is continuing to gain support among popular Web sites and services. In particular, announcements from Yahoo! and Vimeo yesterday demonstrate the increasing adoption of the standard.

113514-yahoo_ipad_mail.jpg

Yahoo! yesterday announced the launch of an HTML5-based Web mail interface newly customized for the iPad, bringing a number of enhancements.
If you've used our recently launched HTML5 mobile Web mail for iPhone you'll feel right at home. We've kept all the things users love about our new mobile Web mail experience, while also optimizing for the gorgeous large screen of the iPad.
Among the new features are local caching for offline access, improvements to searching and organization, enhanced attachment handling, and a dual pane view similar to that employed by the native iPad email application. Google launched a similar HTML5-based interface for Gmail on the iPad in April.

Video sharing site Vimeo also announced yesterday the launch of a new "Universal Player" to allow users of Apple's iOS devices to view embedded video content from Vimeo.
Since we rolled out the HTML5 player in January people have been clamoring for an embeddable version, especially for iPhones and iPads. Today we're taking a big leap forward for compatibility and updating our embed code. We call it the Universal Player.

The Universal Player is as easy to use as the old embed code, just a lot more compatible. Instead of being a direct link to a Flash player the new Universal Player can automatically detect what kind of device is viewing the video and choose the optimum player based on the device's capabilities. For example, it will serve mobile video to iPhones and Androids and HD to iPads and Desktops.
Vimeo launched support for HTML5-based video on its own site earlier this year, but the extension of HTML5 compatibility to embedded videos will significantly broaden users' ability to experience the site's content across the Internet.

Article Link: HTML5 Continuing to Gain Ground With Yahoo! Mail for iPad, Vimeo Embedding

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
5 years from now we will all laugh about this when Flash dies and HTML5 takes over. We will be thanking Apple for taking a stance on this matter.

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
It's not very nice to delete messages. Let's try again:

HTML5 rules! Relax, it's up to the best MacRumors standards.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
HTML 5 for the win.

As for flash, I just got my new Sony Vaio E series yesterday and last I check a regular youtube video only takes 5% CPU power. An HD video I think was like 12% or something. This flash debate is so silly to me, especially as time passes and cooler, faster computers keep coming out. The CPU only heats up around 105 to 110F during normal use, compared to 141 to 150F for my core 2 duo mac. At its peak the Vaio heats up to 130F while the Core 2 Duo at is lowest goes down to around 138F. So this flash video vs html 5 video is so silly.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
HTML 5 for the win.

As for flash, I just got my new Sony Vaio E series yesterday and last I check a regular youtube video only takes 5% CPU power. An HD video I think was like 12% or something. This flash debate is so silly to me, especially as time passes and cooler, faster computers keep coming out. The CPU only heats up around 105 to 100F during normal use, compared to 141 to 150F for my core 2 duo mac. So this flash video vs html 5 video is so silly.

The problem is that you have so many fanboys here that take every word from Steve's mouth as gospel and truth.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
think...

HTML 5 for the win.

As for flash, I just got my new Sony Vaio E series yesterday and last I check a regular youtube video only takes 5% CPU power. An HD video I think was like 12% or something. This flash debate is so silly to me, especially as time passes and cooler, faster computers keep coming out. The CPU only heats up around 105 to 110F during normal use, compared to 141 to 150F for my core 2 duo mac. At its peak the Vaio heats up to 130F while the Core 2 Duo at is lowest goes down to around 138F. So this flash video vs html 5 video is so silly.

This heat/power/cpu issue is more pronounced in the mobile(tablet/phone) realm.....

Not to mention the bugs all over....

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Does anyone want to make the case that HTML5 would be progressing this quickly if Apple hadn't said 'enough' and forced the issue?
Just as with the floppy drive, sometimes people have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
HTML 5 for the win.

It's not. HTML5 video is far smoother with less quirks. Flash isn't bad, but it's sluggish at the worst of times, and causes most of the browser crashes.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Does anyone want to make the case that HTML5 would be progressing this quickly if Apple hadn't said 'enough' and forced the issue?
Just as with the floppy drive, sometimes people have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the future.

I'm new too macs, didn't know much about them until I bought a Macbook in 2007, but do you really think Apple killed the floppy disk? I bought my 1st computer in the year 2000 and I would have been pissed if it didn't had a floppy drive. It would have been beyond inconvinient. The thing that killed the floppy drive was CDr and more so USB flash disks. It's what killed it for me. I mean, most people 90% + knew almost nothing of macs, so how would it kill it. It's like saying that the USB drive was killed in America because the country Ugander stopped using it.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Will I be able to disable html5 like I can with flash using click to flash?

No, but backwards compatibility (flash fallback) will probably still be around for years to come. So just use old browsers and you will be fine. Of course, then you have to worry about security. But you have to cut your losses somewhere.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
You missed my point. Likewise, you could just ignore HTML5. It's not hard.

My concern is that HTML5, since it's on its way to a final web standard, will be turned into an ad delivery service by some sites. In my mind, since it's code and not a plug in, it won't be easily disabled. I know I can easily ignore those sites, but I am willing to be bet that some heavily visited sites will use HTML5 to deliver ads. So I think my question is fair. Would/is there a way to disable HTML5 content if it turns into an ad delivery platform?

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
It's not. HTML5 video is far smoother with less quirks. Flash isn't bad, but it's sluggish at the worst of times, and causes most of the browser crashes.

I find it the opposite. Watching videos on youtube using flash > than HTML 5. There's no comparison, especially when it's eating up such little bit of CPU power, and my fans don't turn on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.