Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
Post what apps you regret buying, and their price.

I regret getting Real Racing HD (9.99) and Fieldrunners (6.99). Not that they're bad games, it's just that I didn't end up playing them as much as I thought. I also regret Quickoffice (got it at the intro price, which was 9.99 instead of the current 14.99) - just an all around horrible suite, feels very unpolished and barebones.

How about you?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Numbers $9.99

Really? I thought a lot about the iWork suit and decided I won't buy it as I don't use them as much... I barely need to actually edit word, excel, or PPT docs (right now I need to create a PPT presentation so I'm in a jippy) so I never bought anything. I do need to read them a lot but I can do that with many free apps like sugarsync, built-in mail, dropbox, iRead PDF, Filer (got it for free due to promotion code but it's paid now).

I don't regret buying any app as I give it a lot of thought first... BIA2 ($.99) is decent and Notes Plus ($4.99) is the best app I have ever seen in my life so I'm a happy person :)

iNeko

macrumors regular
May 13, 2007
England
The only app I really regret buying is Gangstar HD by Gameloft, and I have a lot of apps (96 including 1 iPod classic game). I got it in the 99¢/59p sale, but even that was too much for such a shocking piece of junk! I had been tempted by it for a while, the graphics looked nice and it looked like a nice GTA clone, boy was I wrong...

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
None. I do my research before I even go anywhere near the purchase button for an app, especially on the ipad considering how expensive some of the apps are.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Really? I thought a lot about the iWork suit and decided I won't buy it as I don't use them as much... I barely need to actually edit word, excel, or PPT docs (right now I need to create a PPT presentation so I'm in a jippy) so I never bought anything. I do need to read them a lot but I can do that with many free apps like sugarsync, built-in mail, dropbox, iRead PDF, Filer (got it for free due to promotion code but it's paid now).

I don't regret buying any app as I give it a lot of thought first... BIA2 ($.99) is decent and Notes Plus ($4.99) is the best app I have ever seen in my life so I'm a happy person :)

I was trying to use my laptop even less... The Exel spreadsheets I use are a little too complex for Numbers on the iPad. I am contemplating redoing them on the iPad and sending them out as PDFs.

sempire

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
I have spent a few hundred bucks so far. Most of the apps I won't know if I need them until I need them.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Usually I spend much time researching before buying but this one fooled me: Office2HD (7.99). Really bad.

Also, I don't really regret buying but I was expecting more from the iWork suite. The lack of file management via DropBox or iDisk is a huge thing for me. Plus the poor conversion of spreadsheets in Numbers. Either made in Excel or Numbers in Mac.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I definitely check the reviews and do additional research before I make my purchases. There might be one or two utility apps I regret, but only because somebody else came along with that extra feature the one I originally purchased should have had, thems the breaks though.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Agree with you there. Was hoping I could use this for budgeting on my iPad but it's so frustrating to use that I find myself back in Excel on my MBP.
Be grateful that it validates your MBP purchase.
Anyone who can replace their MBP with an iPad made an unwise decision to buy a MBP in the first place. They spent way more money for way more computing power than they needed.
shrug8fl.gif

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland
Agree about Pages and Numbers, what a waste of money as they cant save to Dropbox or anything like that.

Instead they make you jump through hoops to get the documents off your ipad, when Documents2Go (and others) can just save to Dropbox no problem.

stix

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Helvetic Confederation
Thumbjam.

Probably the most expensive app I've bought too. Somehow I thought it would be more like Groove Maker but with normal instruments. Little did I know that some actual musical talent was actually required! :eek: Never mind.

bluedog3401

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Be grateful that it validates your MBP purchase.
Anyone who can replace their MBP with an iPad made an unwise decision to buy a MBP in the first place. They spent way more money for way more computing power than they needed.
shrug8fl.gif

While it certainly can be said so. Many people bought a laptop for its portability, not the speed. I guess buying an MacBookPro over a MacBook and then replacing it with an iPad would seem like the original purchase was overkill.

But for me, the portability was the original factor in getting the laptop. I had a MacBook I sold just before getting the iPad. For me the iPad took care of 95% of my portable needs. With jailbreak and an Camera connector kit using iFile its nearly everything I need. I'd like a better ability to manage and use documents/files and native iPad printing being the missing item I'd like for iPad.

Before there was an iPad, the other options available were netbooks or a MacBook. I was seriously considering a netbook before the iPad was announced, but didn't like the short battery life for something that I would be using as more portable than the MacBook.

Certainly the iPad has limitations easy to accomplish with a laptop, but for battery life, functionality and portability I couldn't be happier with an iPad --aside from the two issues mentioned above.

The apps I regret purchasing are usually the $4.99 or greater prices. For $0.99 I don't mind trying an app, as long as it performs as suggested/advertised.

-Bento (I don't have the desktop app to sync back to a desktop. I don't use it, maybe it just wasn't something I needed but thought would be useful)
-Whistle (didn't like a phone number assigned in a far away area code)
- Real Racing (just didn't think the price justified for the game, although I like it as a fun driving app. Other racing apps just seem to offer a little more entertainment IMO)
-WeRule (free, and just a disappointment after playing it for some time. I ended up playing it as an obligation to my friends rather than for my enjoyment)
-iDisplay (worst performing when first released. Maybe its improved, but AirDisplay worked much better and feel burned for this purchase)
-AirSharing (I purchased the original iPhone app, then the Pro to get the additional features. Once the iPad version came out and I'd have to purchase again I decided a $0.99 GoodReader was a viable alternative and does most AirSharing can do.)
CocotoKart HD (controls seem really unwieldy, I thought it would be a good kid racer as less than the Pangea game with a similar style of play)

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
This thread is a testament to how poor the office apps to date are. OfficeHD, while imperfect, is the cheapest. Only really good for basic stuff.

ash =o)

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
This thread is a testament to how poor the office apps to date are. OfficeHD, while imperfect, is the cheapest. Only really good for basic stuff.
ash =o)
The iPad has been marketed as a lifestyle device leaning more towards media consumption than creation. So it is understandable that high functioned apps, like office apps, are still in the process of enhancement.

If anything, it is a testament to the unrealistic expectations of many who purchased iPads. (just look at how many people want/look/ask about replacing their computers with an iPad)

These complaints make about as much sense as someone complaining that their push mower is too heavy to be used as a hedge trimmer.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I've purchased apps I ended up not using, but my biggest disappointment is Penultimate. A great idea that turned out to be nearly useless to me for its intended purpose.

stuartmeyers

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
I have a number of 99c apps (either retails or specials) which I dont use - especially games. My purchase addiction is starting to drop off now.

Glad I didnt buy numbers but I do use pages alot.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Pulse news
Early edition
Top Gun
And I really resent having to pay £2.99 for angry birds HD, which is exactly the same game just bigger graphics.

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Angry birds HD. Had the iphone version on my iPad. Bought the hd one for the ipad then thinking it would somehow be different. Wrong and a total waste of money.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Bento. It is ugly, it lags, and it is generally an unpleasant app to use. I bought it because it got decent reviews in reputable publications, but I just can't use it. The templates are hideous and often difficult to read and the customization options are lacking.

SketchBook Pro is a really cool and well-made app, but I don't use it enough to justify the price.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
This one isn't complete regret but mirrors edge. For what I paid for it the game was way too short, hopefully they may release some other functions to make the game last a but more maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.