Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162438-chrome_os_tablet_mockup.jpg

Google mockup of Chrome OS tablet user interface
Download Squad claims that Google is preparing to launch a Chrome OS-powered tablet on November 26th, the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S. known as Black Friday for its widespread discounts to kick off the holiday shopping season. According to the report, the Chrome OS tablet will be manufactured by HTC and Google will partner with Verizon for data service plans on the device.
So what will the Google tablet pack for hardware? It'll likely be based on NVidia's Tegra 2 platform and sport a 1280x720 multitouch display, 2GB of RAM, minimum 32GB SSD, WiFi/Bluetooth/3G connectivity, GPS, webcam, and possibly expandable storage via a multi-card reader. Expect it to be every bit as geek-tastic as the Nexus One -- Google won't want to disappoint its early adopters.
Pricing for the device and data service is unknown, although speculation suggests that data plan contracts could allow for subsidies to greatly reduce the cost of the actual device.

Google previewed Chrome OS in November of last year, stating that the browser-based operating system would debut on netbooks in late 2010. The company also noted its explorations of how Chrome OS might work on other form factors, including tablets, to illustrate the potential of the platform. With the success of Apple's iPad launched earlier this year, tablets have become an increasingly visible alternative to netbook and low-end notebooks, and Google is unsurprisingly apparently preparing to make its move into the space to go head-to-head with Apple once again.

Article Link: Google to Launch Chrome OS Tablet in Late November?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Interesting, but it seems a strategic gaffe for Google and their partners not to leverage Android in a device like this. I guess we have to wait to see the final product before passing judgment but with all the steam Android is picking up, I don't understand maintaining a separate operating system for a tablet device.

wjdennen

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
It's known as Black Friday - not for the discounts, but for the fact that most businesses are "in the black" after that day.

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Interesting, but it seems a strategic gaffe for Google and their partners not to leverage Android in a device like this. I guess we have to wait to see the final product before passing judgment but with all the steam Android is picking up, I don't understand maintaining a separate operating system for a tablet device.

Competition drives innovation. These are good things for the mutiple "platform" and ultimately for the end users, aka, you & me.

I'm for all of the competitors in the space driving Apple Engineering to continue to pursue excellence. Google, HP, Dell whom ever!

Bring them on!

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
It's known as Black Friday - not for the discounts, but for the fact that most businesses are "in the black" after that day.

It's also a day when shoppers are out trying to find dirt cheap deals, not looking to browse new tech products. I don't agree with the wisdom of introducing something like this on that particular day. It's a rat race on that day, not a day when shoppers are wandering around aimlessly saying, "Hey, this is neat. Let's slow down and check out this new tablet."

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
again, who's going to hold this for me so my arms don't tire. :)

And chrome OS... what's that running on right now? Anything?

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Competition drives innovation. These are good things for the mutiple "platform" and ultimately for the end users, aka, you & me.

I'm for all of the competitors in the space driving Apple Engineering to continue to pursue excellence. Google, HP, Dell whom ever!

Bring them on!

I don't disagree with you but I question the wisdom of not offering a tablet that can immediately run the growing library of Android apps. That seems like a no-brainer to me. Pushing a new form factor with a completely new OS... I'm not sure how easy a sell that's going to be outside of the geek-o-sphere.

ajmccoll

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2008
It's also a day when shoppers are out trying to find dirt cheap deals, not looking to browse new tech products. I don't agree with the wisdom of introducing something like this on that particular day. It's a rat race on that day, not a day when shoppers are wandering around aimlessly saying, "Hey, this is neat. Let's slow down and check out this new tablet."

It doesn't say anything about introducing it on Black Friday, it says 'launching', which I take to mean releasing it on Black Friday. They could introduce it a month before then, get people hyped up, and then everyone could buy it on Black Friday.

People swarmed Apple stores for the iPad, why not this?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s weird that this is not an Android device. Equally weird: that the browser in Android is not Chrome! Both choices sound like no-brainers, and it seems like Google has had plenty of time to make them happen.

FanBoyTroll

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
I wonder if it's a good idea to release a product on Black Friday, at a discount, to immediately increase the price the day after.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
It doesn't say anything about introducing it on Black Friday, it says 'launching', which I take to mean releasing it on Black Friday. They could introduce it a month before then, get people hyped up, and then everyone could buy it on Black Friday.

People swarmed Apple stores for the iPad, why not this?

Apple has a long track record now of introducing products that people love and it was similar enough to the iPhone that it enticed people who wanted to have a touch-based device like that but didn't want a phone or iPod. The iPad had all that going for it before it landed so it was an easy sell. Google and Verizon have no such track record.

And it doesn't much matter if it's introduced beforehand and there's hype ahead of time. Black Friday is a get-the-hell-out-of-my-way race to the best deals sort of day. Nobody is going to drop a wad of cash on a tablet without taking some time to play around with it and Black Friday isn't a casual sort of shopping day where most people are out browsing the shelves for new things. I think it's a boneheaded move to release this on that day.

Edit: And the fact there may be a contract to go along with this to subsidize costs further bogs down the buying process on a day when people are not looking to get slowed down.

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Can Google Do Anything Original?

So funny that Google is following Apple around trying to copy their success. Kinda sad, really. "Google, please go back to building search crap, that's what you do! Leave the cool products to the company that can do it right!"

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I wonder how this will impact the Android market momentum ... That is, Dell, Samsung, Acer, etc are planning to release Android tablets, Google is planning to release a Chrome tablet, and we have Apple with with iOS.

If I had a choice of a Android tablet or Chrome tablet (no Apple), I'd choose Android... more mature platform, and likely a more robust experience since it has a heavier client side.

the Chrome platform suggests that although the hardware can be 'lighter' (hence less expensive) you'd always have to be 'connected' to get to apps.

What's their long term vision for these two platforms? Are they planning to support both?

P.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Ugh, why do all of these devices have to come tied to some sort of data plan or network?

Why can't all of these companies get that not everyone wants a phone in everything or that we don't want to pay for yet another subscription for everything?

Thats why I got the wifi iPad. I did not want yet another monthly fee. Especially when so many places have wifi now.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
ya, good luck with that one Google :p

Are ya kidding? I'll give up my beloved Joojoo in a nanosecond for the same stupid device from privacy-robbing Google! I'm sure the other 56 of us who own Joojoos would agree to the same?!

On a serious note, if this as successful as the Nexus One, the Joojoo has serious competition!!

shaneakus

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Louisville
So funny that Google is following Apple around trying to copy their success. Kinda sad, really. "Google, please go back to building search crap, that's what you do! Leave the cool products to the company that can do it right!"

c'mon, apple didn't invent the MP3 Player or the smartphone. they just have a better marketing department.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I wonder if it's a good idea to release a product on Black Friday, at a discount, to immediately increase the price the day after.

Trust me, If they don't sell out that weekend, they will be discounting it further on Monday.

On a totaly other random note, I think it is cool that almost everything hitting the market is now Unix and open source derived.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.