PDA

View Full Version : Using iPod savvy to mine a niche

MacBytes
Dec 2, 2004, 08:54 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Using iPod savvy to mine a niche (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20041202095412)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Dec 2, 2004, 08:54 AM
Is buying the music from the store for someone else's use considered fair use? Is it legal?

jsw
Dec 2, 2004, 09:19 AM
What a great idea! I'm not sure of the legality of buying iTMS music for someone else, nor do I understand how that person would be able to access the music on their systems (it wouldn't be authorized on their PCs if it was loaded on hers, right?).

However, the whole ripping CDs thing is fantastic - especially because, as business picks up, odds are that an increasing percentage of CDs will already have been ripped, meaning that, eventually, she could just enter the names of the CDs into an app and have that app copy them from the appropriate folders to that customer's folder, then transfer them to the iPod. $1.50/CD is pretty cheap and not that profitable now when most of the CDs have to be ripped, but, once ripped, it becomes very cost effective to do the job. Probably illegal to store the rips unless she owned the CDs herself, but probably not something she needs to worry about yet.

shamino
Dec 2, 2004, 11:15 AM
What a great idea! I'm not sure of the legality of buying iTMS music for someone else, nor do I understand how that person would be able to access the music on their systems (it wouldn't be authorized on their PCs if it was loaded on hers, right?).
I assume she'd have to get the customers iTMS account ID and password. She could then authorize a computer, make the purchases, burn the files to CD, and then de-authorize the computer.
However, the whole ripping CDs thing is fantastic - especially because, as business picks up, odds are that an increasing percentage of CDs will already have been ripped, meaning that, eventually, she could just enter the names of the CDs into an app and have that app copy them from the appropriate folders to that customer's folder, then transfer them to the iPod.
This may run afoul of copyright laws.

She's not allowed to keep the tracks she rips from customer CDs after she returns the CDs back to the customer. Even if it is meant entirely as a time-saver for when the next customer provides the same CD, it is still an illegal copy.

Now, she might be able to buy the most common CDs and keep them on her hard drive for this purpose. But that might still be illegal. The "fair use" provision of the copyright law (that, for instance, allows you to make backups of your CDs and load them into your iPod) does not generally apply to a commercial use of the music.

The copyright licensing required to distribute material from her own hard drive, even if it's of songs that the customers have already purchased CDs of, can get very expensive very fast.