Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Hi everybody, I pulled my 3rd Gen iPod out this morning to change playlists, but when I looked at my screen it's completely blank! :eek: The back light works, but I still can't see anything at all. Now I haven't hit or abused my iPod so I think I somehow turned the contrast all the way down, but I'm at a loss to get to the contrast settings from memory. Is there anybody who can give me instructions to get to the contrast settings? I assume if I hit menu enough times it will take me to the base screen and I could use that as a starting point.

Thanks!

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Do you have your clicker on? If yes, we can use the number of clicks to determine which menu we're entering. Otherwise, you might have to reset all settings on the iPod by connecting it to your computer and doing that in the iPod updater.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
StarbucksSam said:
Do you have your clicker on? If yes, we can use the number of clicks to determine which menu we're entering. Otherwise, you might have to reset all settings on the iPod by connecting it to your computer and doing that in the iPod updater.

Unfortuneately, my clicker is off. :( I guess I'll have to reset it tonight I was hoping it was going to be instructions like hit menu a bunch of times, scroll all the way to the top, press center button, scroll all the way down... etc.

Thanks for giving it a try though!

<edit> I just held down the menu and play/pause button for a few seconds to reboot it. That seemed to do the trick... it seems to have been a glitch because the contrast came back and none of my other settings were reverted to default. </edit>

diamond geezer

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2004
Run the restore using "iPod Updater" software, if it still doesn't work get it replaced (if still under warranty).

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
even if you turn down the contrast all the way down, it won't get so faint such that you can't see anything.

so it sounds like your ipod just needed a reset.

backyspaghetti

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
leeds, uk
same problem

ive got exactly the same problem on my ipod mini i must have left it unlocked in my bag and the next thing all ive got is a blank white screen and no way of navigating it to switch it back, if someone could tell me a step by step way of doing it i can follow the clicker, it doesnt work with my pc so i cant do it from there either! I took it into the apple shop and the guys behind the desk said they had never seen this problem before and wanted to send it away :| how helpful of them lol

please please someone help me :( :) x

Raid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
backyspaghetti said:
ive got exactly the same problem on my ipod mini i must have left it unlocked in my bag and the next thing all ive got is a blank white screen and no way of navigating it to switch it back, if someone could tell me a step by step way of doing it i can follow the clicker, it doesnt work with my pc so i cant do it from there either! I took it into the apple shop and the guys behind the desk said they had never seen this problem before and wanted to send it away :| how helpful of them lol

please please someone help me :( :) x
I take it doing an iPod reboot didn't help?

I drained my iPod battery on the way to work today so I can't give clicker instructions, but I'll check this thread later tonight and see if I can give you the "click" sequence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.