Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about the backing for the iPod Touch 4G

• Chrome? OOH! SHINY!!!

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Aluminum is the way to go.

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • I want to be stylin' like the iPhone 4's glass back!

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Glass is unfortunately going to be harder to implement. Aluminum isn't bad though. I just wish they had switched years ago.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I think that it is about time for Apple to switch from chrome to aluminum. If it has another year of chrome it will get old.

saxon48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Barad-dûr
Like it or hate it, more likely than not the Touch 4th Gen will most definitely have the glass back.

I vote for aluminum though. It's the only logical choice.

Aero26

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
Seeing the graphical setups, I like the traditional silver aluminum back but I think I'd tire of it. Glass has got my vote now but I haven't seen what any of the older more worn iPhone 4's are looking like now so thats subject to change. I probably won't be able to afford it for a couple years, if ever, anyway. I mean, this economy isn't getting any better.

No more chrome, please. Just no.

stewie1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
Apple would never do it but I'd like a rubbery back that's easier to grip. The chrome back looks good for about an hour, aluminum is too heavy, and they likely won't do glass on the iPod to distinguish it from the iPhone. If I had to bet, I'd say we're gonna see an iPad-esque aluminum back.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
the iphone 4 backing is more likely
take the phone/3g out the "iphone 4", boost the capability and there you go lol

attachment.php

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
the iphone 4 backing is more likely
take the phone/3g out the "iphone 4", boost the capability and there you go lol

attachment.php

I like the look. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely at all. Any Gizmodo ipods get lost in a bar yet?

Like it or hate it, more likely than not the Touch 4th Gen will most definitely have the glass back.

I vote for aluminum though. It's the only logical choice.

Really? I figured due to depth restrictions that it would take too much space. Apple loves thin ipods.

SlovakApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In the heart of Europe
Am I the only one, who likes the chrome back of my iPod touch?:) I keep mine in a sock (like the Apple ones but not so expensive), so that scratches are not a problem. Although I agree that a change of design would be refreshing.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
There has been a ton of reports of the iPhone 4's glass finish scratching and cracking easily. Aluminum doesnt really scratch unless you try.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I figure apples style over form tendencies will make it glass back. But the problem I see in this decision is that a ton of people buy iPod touches for their kids and kids break things. Unless this is the strongest glass ever, it could end up a nightmare for people.. Also its annoying they make a product to look so nice, knowing that 90% + of customers are going to cover it because its too scratch / breaking prone... But thats apple, so count on it being glass.

Derkatwork

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Milwaukee
Am I the only one, who likes the chrome back of my iPod touch?:) I keep mine in a sock (like the Apple ones but not so expensive), so that scratches are not a problem. Although I agree that a change of design would be refreshing.

Technically no. There are two others that agree with you :eek:. I personally hope for glass, but to each their own.

I think they'll stick with Chrome.. They won't copy the iPhone, they never have, largely as the iphone is their flagship product.

Why not glass? THe ipod touch has been adopting features since the second generation. It has taken speakers, bluetooth, and others. I think it will eventually take everything minus the phone and 3G (over time).

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
The chrome gets scratches and shows fingerprints as soon as you touch it. It doesn't look shiny anymore after you have held it for even a minute or 2. The chrome looks HORRIBLE if you just use your iPod normally without a case, it gets terribly, terribly scratched.

I think they need to change this, glass could be protected with a case, but glass also breaks when it drops. There are a lot of kids using the touch, and a lot of parents buying it so I think they have to take that into consideration. Parents might not buy a touch made of glass for a kid.

I will be using a case so I don't really care what design it gets, as long as its decent.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
I'd really like the iPhone 4's design but if they go with aluminum I can settle with that. Anything but the scratch loving chrome backing will be fine.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Mmm glass....scratchproof...yesss
but not likely. I would of course want the beautiful scratchproof glass, but it takes alot of space and apple doesn't want to compromise that. The aluminum is more likely.

But what about some crazy liquidmetal alloy? That would be cool

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
If the new touch has a glass back, I might just stick with my 3rd gen. I owned the iPhone 4 for a brief period, and although the thing is gorgeous, I was constantly paranoid about it. I want to just stick my gadgets in my pocket and not worry about it. Like I do with my iPod classic with the Incase Snap Case on it. I whack that thing around all the time, and not a single scar.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
If the new touch has a glass back, I might just stick with my 3rd gen. I owned the iPhone 4 for a brief period, and although the thing is gorgeous, I was constantly paranoid about it. I want to just stick my gadgets in my pocket and not worry about it. Like I do with my iPod classic with the Incase Snap Case on it. I whack that thing around all the time, and not a single scar.

Why would you be paranoid about it? It's helicopter glass for crying out loud? It's scratchproof. Nothing is going to happen to it unless you
a. Shoot it
b. Whack it with a sledgehammer
c. Give it to Billy Mays

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Why would you be paranoid about it? It's helicopter glass for crying out loud? It's scratchproof. Nothing is going to happen to it unless you
a. Shoot it
b. Whack it with a sledgehammer
c. Give it to Billy Mays

A friend of mine had it drop off the arm of his couch, and he now has a cracked back. Glass breaks. It happens. At least with only a glass screen I can face it in toward my leg so it's protected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.