PDA

View Full Version : Firefox on a TiBook 400/Tiger?

Designer Dale
Aug 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
My girlfriend has a G4/400 PowerBook with 768 MB ram. The guy who did the upgrade for her told her that it would not run anything higher than Safari 4. She wants Firefox because it runs parts of her online financing site better.

Anyone have experience with Firefox/G4/Tiger combos?

Dale

Intell
Aug 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
It runs fine for me, even with 7 extensions and Weave/FireFox Sync turned on. I'm on a Ti 550Mhz, but it's close enough. Sometime I do use Safari 4.1, it is faster on older Macs.

g4 powerbookboy
Aug 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
it works fine on mine 400 mhz/512 ram i also use safari and camino as well i use the camino browser that is optimized for the g4 platform.

MacinDan
Aug 19, 2010, 12:51 AM
Camino uses the same rendering engine as Firefox, so she might want to look at Camino as an alternative. It's a native cocoa app, so it's snappier and more Mac-like.

Designer Dale
Aug 19, 2010, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I know Firefox will manage the research pages of her financial website, but I'm not familiar with Camino. I'll mess with it on my MBP.

Thanks.

Dale

Giuly
Aug 19, 2010, 08:42 AM
Click the Apple in the top-left corner, hit software update - and be happy with Safari 5, which runs on Tiger, too.
And for Firefox, just hit mozilla.com (http://mozilla.com) and install Firefox. Only MacOS 9 doesn't run Firefox, but Mozilla 1.2.1 (kind of it's predecessor).

Designer Dale
Aug 19, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks, guys/gals. Bank of America just moved it's online investing site over to Merrill Lynch and the site runs fine in all areas under Safari. All the glitches seem to have been resolved with the new site. Pages used to half load and crap like that. I have Camino and like it a lot, so thanks for all the input.

Dale

Intell
Aug 19, 2010, 03:06 PM
...be happy with Safari 5, which runs on Tiger, too.

Safari 5 does not run on Tiger. 4.1 is the latest version that runs on it.

g4 powerbookboy
Aug 19, 2010, 05:52 PM
i was just wondering about that.... i thought only safari 4.1 ran on tiger as well. if safari 5 runs on tiger id be willing to try that.

Giuly
Aug 19, 2010, 06:02 PM
Safari 5 does not run on Tiger. 4.1 is the latest version that runs on it.
Apple also released Safari 4.1 concurrently with Safari 5, exclusively for Mac OS X Tiger. The update includes the majority of the features and security enhancements found in Safari 5. It does not, however, include Safari Reader or Safari Extensions.

I guess Safari 4.1 gives the user experience of Safari 5 and I don't remember the numbers correctly then. Still, I'm pretty sure that it said "Safari 5" in Software Update, though.

max••
Aug 19, 2010, 06:35 PM
it will run fine, i use it on my 500mhz g3 ibook, but if you have loads of tabs open like i usually do it eats into the ram and slows the computer down