Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tagyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
My problem:
I have to connect a usb barcode reader to the iPad thru the Camera Kit (no, I can't use a bluetooth one) and, at the same time, charge the iPad.
The iPad will be used in a store as a price checker and fixed in a box, so disconnecting the CameraKit to recharge the iPad is not an option.

I'm using an ipad data cable between the iPad and the Camera Kit (even though the cable only has 16 of the 30 pins connected). From the cable I've taken out a usb cable that plugs in the original ipad charger and the iPad recharges. But as soon as I attach the camera kit at the other end the iPad shows the NOT CHARGING message - and it doesn't charge, not even in sleep mode.

Take a look at the attachment to get a better idea.

Attachments

• schema.jpg
    schema.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 2,762

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Perhaps an iPad is not the best device for you now...that diagram is headache inducing! I cant imagine this is what Steve envisioned its uses for! If you charged it completely overnight, wouldn't the battery get you through the day?Or perhaps invest in another ipad and swap it out during the day..or enjoy your iPad at home, and bring the Macbook Pro in for this job! Sorry I cant help more! :(

tagyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
You could try this: http://www.cablejive.com/products/duaLink.html

Attach one dock to iPad, plug in the camera connector to the other dock, and the USB to power source. No idea if it'll work, though.

EDIT: the dual link is not good for what I need.

The Kingston 4-in-1 would be good but it's discontinued and nowhere to be found.

Anyway, I've built my own ipad male-female data cable and nothing.
Now I'm trying to open the camera kit and connect directly on the pcb inside it.

tagyro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Can't be done ...

As I've been told a few times already the iPad cannot be charged with the camera kit connected.

It has to do with the fact that the data+ and data- cables from the usb must send data to start the charging process.

jfhallst

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
I also need to find a USB adapter that will charge my iPad while the adapter is connected. Have you had a chance to try the minintheBox adapter and does it work?

bdrake47

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2012
I'm really curious about this miniinthebox adapter too. Appears to be exactly what the OP of this thread was looking for too.

Hope someone here can confirm if this works or not.

jfhallst

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
I contacted Lightinthebox and their chat person said that the device does charge the iPad while it's connected, so I've thrown caution to the wind and ordered one. I'll post a verdict as soon as it arrives and I've had a chance to put it through its paces.

BTW, the very appealing price of $12.95 is misleading... they charge you another $12 for shipping and insurance!)

jfhallst

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Update on iPad charger/sync/usb hub

The hub/charger/sync unit arrived today. The results, sadly were disappointing, although it could be that I got a defective unit (I've written to Lightinthebox but have not yet gotten a reply.)

here's what happened:
I first connected a power supply to the hub via its little power connector input (a special cable is supplied for doing this). I then connected a second power supply to the 30-pin input on the hub (as the diagram on the box shows it's possible to do.) At this point my iPad began charging, but there was no response to anything plugged into the hub (I tried several devices.) as soon as I unplugged the charger that was connected to the 30-pin input, the hub worked properly, but the ipad no longer charged.

I then tried connecting my computer (a MacbookPro) to the 30-pin input connector on the hub. Although my ipod did sync with the computer, the hub was unable to deliver enough power to charge the iPad. As was the case when I had the power supply connected to the 30-pin input, Nothing I plugged into the hub was recognized by the iPad.

A couple of other observations: 1) it was very difficult to connect to the 30-pin input connector on the hub. I really had to wiggle and twist it to get it to go in. 2) the second time I unplugged the 30-pin connector that goes from the hub to the iPad, it came apart (I was subsequently able to push it back together, but I have no idea how long it will remain that way.

BTW, I contacted their chat desk before ordering and asked very specifically whether it was possible to use the hub and charge one's iPad simultaneously. I was told that it was. Hopefully this is true and it's a matter of a defective unit...

I will continue to update.

jfhallst

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
Sorry to request further clarification, but I just looked at the description of the dockstubz+ and want to make sure it's clear what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to connect a USB audio interface to my iPad (via the camera kit) and SIMULTANEOUSLY charge the iPad. Everything I've tried thus far allows you to do one or the other but not both at the same time.

Please advise

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry to request further clarification, but I just looked at the description of the dockstubz+ and want to make sure it's clear what I'm trying to do.

I want to be able to connect a USB audio interface to my iPad (via the camera kit) and SIMULTANEOUSLY charge the iPad. Everything I've tried thus far allows you to do one or the other but not both at the same time.

Please advise
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread. But I'm planning to repurpose an ancient iPad 2 as an AirPlay device for my record player with a USB interface and AirChord. Did anyone ever clarify if the CableJive dockStubz+ could indeed pass through audio as well as charge? They are still available at crazy prices which makes me want to just give up and buy a lightning device where the camera kit can charge and pass through audio at the same time. *sigh*

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread. But I'm planning to repurpose an ancient iPad 2 as an AirPlay device for my record player with a USB interface and AirChord. Did anyone ever clarify if the CableJive dockStubz+ could indeed pass through audio as well as charge? They are still available at crazy prices which makes me want to just give up and buy a lightning device where the camera kit can charge and pass through audio at the same time. *sigh*
I don't even know if that would work with a 30-pin connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.