Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennis.p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Hello everybody, i was hoping my first post was under better circumstances. However, I've bougt an external USB drive to expand my atv with. I mistankingly thought that I could make it boot from that. So I removed the internal 40gb drive and used ATVCloner to clone the partitions and then make a new drive. But now when I put back the original drive it won't boot!

I just get a ATV icon with a ? above. I've been through every single post I could find about how to rebuild the drive, but it's the same. So is the drive suddenly fried? I can still read and see the disk when I connect it to my MacBook pro.

A little geek info.
When I boot up on a bootstick and use Telnet to connect I can use fdisk -l. That only shows the USB stick. I then try to list devices under /dev/sd*.
That shows the partitions under the USB stick as Sdb, sdb1, sdb2. And then only sda. No sda1 through 4.

If I then try to wipe the drive clean with the dd zero cmd. I get a message that sda it has no space free to perform the task. If I try to force read using fdisk it says it cannot read from /dev/sda.

I'm sorry for the long post, I'm really lost here! If anyone has the slightest hint about what could be wrong I would greatly appreciate any help.

Many many thanks in advance

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I could be wrong here as my unix experience is limited but the ATV's drive is a PATA drive and not a SATA drive so the drives should be listed as /dev/hd* and not /dev/sd*. So the ATV's drives should be listed as hda1, hda2 and so on.

dennis.p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Yeah, that could very well be, however i've been reading along this post

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/issues/detail?id=98

were someone actually has the same problem, the don't get to a solution unfortunately. There it clearly says that the partitions of the apple tv should be visible as sda1 through sda4

or am i still completely wrong? either way it still only list the usb drive when i do and
Code:
fdisk -l

dennis.p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
i know the link i provided suggest that the drive is dead. However how will that explain that i can perfectly see and browse the drive when it's connected to my macbook pro?

any help is still greatly appreciated

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
i know the link i provided suggest that the drive is dead. However how will that explain that i can perfectly see and browse the drive when it's connected to my macbook pro?

any help is still greatly appreciated

Had a similar issue where the AppleTV would only recognize the original drive if I had the casing off after a mod. I think it's the actualy 2.5 PATA cabling. Was never able to find a replacement so I will never know if that was the fixe or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.