PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on my tablet invention.

PadPivot
Aug 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
Hi I'm an independent inventor looking for a little feedback on my latest patent pending device. I'd like to know what iPad users might think of the function my device offers. You can see a quick video on Youtube just search PadPivot. Although I will be bringing this to market I hope this is not considered a solicitation for sales. I'm really just looking for some iPad user feedback at this point. So I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks!

Zodiak
Aug 19, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hi I'm an independent inventor looking for a little feedback on my latest patent pending device. I'd like to know what iPad users might think of the function my device offers. You can see a quick video on Youtube just search PadPivot. Although I will be bringing this to market I hope this is not considered a solicitation for sales. I'm really just looking for some iPad user feedback at this point. So I'd love to hear what you think. Thanks!

It really would have been good to include links to the youtube and/or some pictures though. Is this your product? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gg_D4kjOSc

If so here is what im thinking/wonder

Looks good so far, I like the rotating/swiveling capabilities while having it on your lap/leg.

What is it constructed from? Plastic or Metal?

The video doesnt exactly show the swivel mechanism so I dont know how exactly it rotates but I think I did see some sharp edges on the base and to have it on my leg/lap for a period of time with hard edges and weight of the ipad I woudnt want them to start cutting into my leg.

My other concern is when you rest the ipad in it vertically i woudnt want it to topple over, maybe lining the base in a tacky gel/rubber would help it keep it in place on some slick surfaces.

Another concern with every base is make sure that you can thread the connector cable through it easily enough.

Do you have any ideas on pricing yet?

PadPivot
Aug 19, 2010, 11:05 AM
It really would have been good to include links to the youtube and/or some pictures though. Is this your product? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Gg_D4kjOSc

If so here is what im thinking/wonder

Looks good so far, I like the rotating/swiveling capabilities while having it on your lap/leg.

What is it constructed from? Plastic or Metal?

The video doesnt exactly show the swivel mechanism so I dont know how exactly it rotates but I think I did see some sharp edges on the base and to have it on my leg/lap for a period of time with hard edges and weight of the ipad I woudnt want them to start cutting into my leg.

My other concern is when you rest the ipad in it vertically i woudnt want it to topple over, maybe lining the base in a tacky gel/rubber would help it keep it in place on some slick surfaces.

Another concern with every base is make sure that you can thread the connector cable through it easily enough.

Do you have any ideas on pricing yet?

Thanks Zodiak for taking a look and posting the youtube link! What you saw was a prototype. It is foldable, made of plastic with high grip silicone on the underside and edges. It also has an optional strap but it would only be necessary when used on an extreme angle. I’m curious to get feedback on the function and maybe what users might be willing to pay for a device that offers such function.
Here is an image.
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae120/Wind1111/PadPivot/th_PadPivot-1.jpg (http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/ae120/Wind1111/PadPivot/?action=view&current=PadPivot-1.jpg)

jeremy3721
Aug 19, 2010, 11:36 AM
I like it. I was looking for something like this when I was using a Belkin Grip Vue. I sold that case but might buy it again if this works as advertised.

Just to throw something out there I'd say a $20 price point sounds about right to me. It's hard to judge without having it in my hand. I just can't see paying more than that for any kind of "stand". If it works well I'd like to buy one for work and for home/travel.

Zodiak
Aug 19, 2010, 11:43 AM
I like seeing more details now in the pictures, thank you. Here are a few more questions for you.

It seems that the ipad is attached to the unit with a suction cup but im uncertain how well this method holds up plus do you think it would work with people with membrane line scratch shields for the back of their ipads or some types of cases?

Im assuming the blue highlighted areas are to bring attention to features and will be white just like in the video?

I'm uncertain from the pictures if the suction area is 1 solid part or a male and female part, one attaching to the ipad and then attaching to the female?

Are you planning on having an underside suction cup you can twist to attach/detach? it looks like it could be used on a car dash area.

As for pricing, im unsure, there are many ipad stands/mounts. Doing a simple search will reveal many. We talk about most of them here on this forum. Many of them are seriously overpriced.

Interesting product so far :)

After looking the video over I have some concerns. if using it with the rotating arm assembly near a large flat surface, the short length of the arm seems to impede movement at an angle, would it be possible at all to make the arm extend and adjustable? something like tubes within tubes that you can just tighten to adjust?

Not having a demo model I cant say if the seemingly short length of the arm is a problem or not.

Just ideas :)

Trapped Wind
Aug 19, 2010, 01:01 PM
I like it. I would have to see how strong it was. Dont do it in Plastic. The concept is solid though.

PadPivot
Aug 19, 2010, 02:17 PM
After looking the video over I have some concerns. if using it with the rotating arm assembly near a large flat surface, the short length of the arm seems to impede movement at an angle, would it be possible at all to make the arm extend and adjustable? something like tubes within tubes that you can just tighten to adjust?

Not having a demo model I cant say if the seemingly short length of the arm is a problem or not.

Just ideas :)

Good eye Zodiak, the final design does adjust for height and the legs are missed.

Darth Maniac
Aug 19, 2010, 02:23 PM
I would suggest having a version in black. The iPad is black so not sure why some stands dont offer a matching colour.

PadPivot
Aug 19, 2010, 02:39 PM
I would suggest having a version in black. The iPad is black so not sure why some stands dont offer a matching colour.

Just kicking around colours now. One idea was black with a grey rubber on the underside. The other was white with light grey rubber or two tones of grey. One tone for the upper and a darker tone on the bottom. Do you think brite colours would be a turn off?

I like it. I would have to see how strong it was. Dont do it in Plastic. The concept is solid though.

Why what would be the problem of plastic? I was going to do it in plastic with rubber over molding. Obviously it must be stable.

advres
Aug 19, 2010, 02:44 PM
Of course people will buy it. You can sell anything nowadays. I have been seeing people with these things for chrissakes!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c1H7P4QQL._SS400_.jpg

Because carrying a 20 oz bottle of water around is soooo difficult!

SchneiderMan
Aug 19, 2010, 03:04 PM
No website yet? It's hard to tell hot it actually functions so Iv'e got no input.

Darth Maniac
Aug 19, 2010, 03:09 PM
Just kicking around colours now. One idea was black with a grey rubber on the underside. The other was white with light grey rubber or two tones of grey. One tone for the upper and a darker tone on the bottom. Do you think brite colours would be a turn off?

I like the black/grey rubber idea. For me certainly bright colours are a big no no as I want the focus to be the iPad. Others may disagree with me though but thats my preference.

PadPivot
Aug 19, 2010, 03:20 PM

No website yet? It's hard to tell hot it actually functions so Iv'e got no input.

I'm not selling yet. Just finilizing the design and looking for a little feed back from iPad users on the function as shown in the video. Maybe I'll post some more renderings so you can get a better look of the 3D models. The prototype you see in the video is hand made the next run will be rapid prototypes and will be much closer to the final product. I'll give you a better look when I have them...if you are interested.

I like the black/grey rubber idea. For me certainly bright colours are a big no no as I want the focus to be the iPad. Others may disagree with me though but thats my preference.

That seems to be the feeling of most. Gaming with this is a lot of fun especially games like Real Racing. I was thinking one version might have subtle racing motif on it.

prot0type
Aug 20, 2010, 07:59 AM
I think it has potential and will interest people looking for this option.

When I saw the pic posted, immediately I thought it would be great for driving/flight games and sure enough the video emphasized on that. As for typing and browsing on the couch, again great way to show that ability.

As long as it's light, simple, portable and most importantly reasonably priced, I can see it taking off.

PadPivot
Aug 20, 2010, 08:02 AM
I think it has potential and will interest people looking for this option.

When I saw the pic posted, immediately I thought it would be great for driving/flight games and sure enough the video emphasized on that. As for typing and browsing on the couch, again great way to show that ability.

As long as it's light, simple, portable and most importantly reasonably priced, I can see it taking off.

Prot0type...nice handle. Thanks for the reply. What would you feel is a reasonable price for the function.

prot0type
Aug 20, 2010, 08:53 AM
That would depend on the material used and it's construction.

Somewhere between $24.99 and $39.99 maybe. I'm not sure that many are willing to pay a premium just for conveinence.

Something else to consider is that it doesn't have to be marketed solely to the iPad. Owners of ereaders and possibly other tablets may be interested.

PadPivot
Aug 20, 2010, 09:17 AM
That would depend on the material used and it's construction.

Somewhere between $24.99 and $39.99 maybe. I'm not sure that many are willing to pay a premium just for conveinence.

Something else to consider is that it doesn't have to be marketed solely to the iPad. Owners of ereaders and possibly other tablets may be interested.

You're correct about other tablets and it is being designed to accommodate them. I appreciate your feedback.
I'm posting another image here because the earlier on is rather small. Don't mind the funky colour the final product will likely be black with grey rubber bottom or white with grey.
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae120/Wind1111/PadPivot/PadPivot-1.jpg

PadPivot
Aug 20, 2010, 03:53 PM
Bump to give Built a look.

SchneiderMan
Aug 20, 2010, 04:31 PM
I cannot trust that suction cup with my iPad that's fir sure. I would think it will not be a good idea to use that.

PadPivot
Aug 20, 2010, 09:50 PM
I cannot trust that suction cup with my iPad that's fir sure. I would think it will not be a good idea to use that.

Would you have an issue with the soft loop portion of a Velcro disc being stuck to the back of your iPad? I understand for some people it would be a sin to stick anything over the apple logo while for others if they could have this function in a lap device they wouldn't have an issue.

SchneiderMan
Aug 20, 2010, 11:09 PM
Would you have an issue with the soft loop portion of a Velcro disc being stuck to the back of your iPad? I understand for some people it would be a sin to stick anything over the apple logo while for others if they could have this function in a lap device they wouldn't have an issue.

Of course, most people would not stick anything like that on their iPad. If you cannot confirm that your current design with that small suction cup works every time and never loses it's suction than it will be a problem imo.
I would suggest that you don't start with attitude and handle criticism with peace (:

PadPivot
Aug 21, 2010, 11:57 AM
Of course, most people would not stick anything like that on their iPad. If you cannot confirm that your current design with that small suction cup works every time and never loses it's suction than it will be a problem imo.
I would suggest that you don't start with attitude and handle criticism with peace (:

The good thing is I have a method that will not have to rely on a suction cup to support the iPad or rely on sticking anything to your pad. Just received rapid prototypes and so far so good. At this point I'm interested in what iPad users think of the form and functions shown in the video and pictures not so much how I will attach to the IPad, although it's good to know that sticking anything on the Pad is a no no.

PadStand
Aug 24, 2010, 06:00 AM
The good thing is I have a method that will not have to rely on a suction cup to support the iPad or rely on sticking anything to your pad. Just received rapid prototypes and so far so good. At this point I'm interested in what iPad users think of the form and functions shown in the video and pictures not so much how I will attach to the IPad, although it's good to know that sticking anything on the Pad is a no no.

Looking good PadPivot... I hope you get into production soon! My idea is a far simpler solution with an RRP of £9.99 ($14.99) ~ so I am not sure if you can manufacture your item commercially for an RRP of less than $22 ~ question is will people pay that?

In my experience costing works like this:-

Cost to manufacture = X
Trade Price = X * 2.45
Ex VAT RRP = (X * 2.45) * 1.8 MIN

So if your Manufacture price is $5 your RRP is $22 +TAX

If your manufacture price goes up, your RRP goes up significantly! This is where expensive packaging starts to impact on the finished goods price!

Good luck getting to market, and if I can be of help at all, send me a PM.

Regards
Adam @ PadStand

PadPivot
Aug 25, 2010, 11:27 AM
Looking good PadPivot... I hope you get into production soon! My idea is a far simpler solution with an RRP of £9.99 ($14.99) ~ so I am not sure if you can manufacture your item commercially for an RRP of less than $22 ~ question is will people pay that?

In my experience costing works like this:-

Cost to manufacture = X
Trade Price = X * 2.45
Ex VAT RRP = (X * 2.45) * 1.8 MIN

So if your Manufacture price is $5 your RRP is $22 +TAX

If your manufacture price goes up, your RRP goes up significantly! This is where expensive packaging starts to impact on the finished goods price!

Good luck getting to market, and if I can be of help at all, send me a PM.

Regards
Adam @ PadStand

Thanks Adam, nice to see another independent developer looking for feedback. The nice thing about my design is that it can fit in your pocket, function as a stand in all formats offering a wide range of angles/slopes and the big bonus is that it can be used on your lap and is fully rotational… Great for gaming. Another interesting feature is that it is compatible with the Kindle and other tablets even iPhone or the touch. My purpose of posting here was to hopefully garner a bit of feedback to see if iPad users might be interested to have all this function in a compact design. Like you I am an independent developer looking for feedback but I am not selling yet.

Built
Aug 25, 2010, 05:10 PM
I'm in. Definitely willing to give it a try. (God knows, I've tried everything else!)

As long as its secure..as Schneiderman said, that would be the dealbreaker for me. Looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days.

PadPivot
Aug 26, 2010, 06:40 AM
I'm in. Definitely willing to give it a try. (God knows, I've tried everything else!)

As long as its secure..as Schneiderman said, that would be the dealbreaker for me. Looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days.

http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae120/Wind1111/PadPivot/RapidProto1Compile.jpg

Built, I hope it won't be too long. This is a prototype the final device will likely be high gloss black with grey trim. I'll be posting a new video soon showing a little more detail on how it works. Man are those your arms?

Angelo95210
Aug 26, 2010, 06:47 AM
The less is better for me so I wouldn't buy but looks like a great stand. Mac users have high expectations on crafting so beware to this.

PadPivot
Aug 26, 2010, 07:20 AM
The less is better for me so I wouldn't buy but looks like a great stand. Mac users have high expectations on crafting so beware to this.

Angelo, You make an excellent point about crafting, I certainly want to build a quality device. I hope that as a stand it seems unobtrusive with a small foot print so the iPad remains the focus. Re function, some iPad users have no issue with holding the iPad but I hope there are others, especially gamers and people on the move that may like the functions and portability. Thanks for taking a look.

Zodiak
Aug 26, 2010, 08:31 AM
Stupid question but one I still feel the need to ask, but if you ever needed to clean it for some reason, is it dishwasher safe? :)

PadPivot
Aug 26, 2010, 09:34 PM
Stupid question but one I still feel the need to ask, but if you ever needed to clean it for some reason, is it dishwasher safe? :)
I'd better get on that feature. http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae120/Wind1111/PadPivot/th_icecream.jpg (http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/ae120/Wind1111/PadPivot/?action=view&current=icecream.jpg)

Built
Aug 26, 2010, 11:29 PM

What are you planning on doing with it???? :confused:

@Padpivot...Looks great. Can't wait for it to come out.

SchneiderMan
Aug 27, 2010, 01:28 AM
I'm sorry to say this but it's something I would expect to find at RiteAid or in a As Seen On T.V store.
The fact that there are parts that need to be assembled is a big downside imo.

PadPivot
Jan 13, 2011, 04:18 PM
I started this thread a while back and thought I'd drop by and invite anyone interested over to our Kickstarter campaign http://kck.st/gmzC2U or www.padpivot.com If you are into grassroots design and invention you might like what you see? If so come join our story and feel free to spread the love if you like what we have coming. Jim and I will need all the help we can muster. Cheers! Bernie
Ps. Might be worth a look just to see how things have evolved.

Tobster3
Jan 16, 2011, 05:33 AM
Here is a better link:

PadPivot on Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jay-design/padpivot-lap-and-desk-stand-for-your-ipadtablet-or)

http://www.padpivot.com/includes/images/gallery/pp_upclose.jpg

Love it - I'm in, I'm a backer!!:)

ZipZap
Jan 17, 2011, 05:48 AM
Me too.

Zodiak
Jan 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
I think you both have a great product on your hands. The prototype looks solid, doesnt look cheap and flimsy, doesnt take up much space, folds up nicely, looks well designed and styled.

If the end product looks like the current prototype I would definatly buying 1 or 2 :)

sportster
Jan 17, 2011, 11:15 AM
Looks promising, I'll be keeping an eye out for this...

Catalystic
Jan 17, 2011, 12:06 PM

Can't wait to get it

hardax
Jan 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
Looking forward to this coming out!