Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heliocentric

Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
looking for something to play music through my hifi (which is connect to my tv) and play dvd rips on my 40inch tv.

is the apple tv still worth a look?

i know its been around a while now...

thanks

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Sure. of course there are rumors of a new atv this fall. but some of those rumors might actually make it worse for playing your dvd rips. hard to say. If it does what you need then I'd say go for it. As far as reading apples tea leaves ... good luck.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
If you want any of these wait, If a new comes out and the usage is worse for you than the current one as the previous poster said the Apple TV will be much cheaper, and If the new one fits your needs you will love it

It's a good option, but it's not really cheap and useful, Ripping DVD's on your Mac and then getting them on the Apple TV can be a pain comparing to a DVD Player, and of course you won't have a lot of space for them, To Stream Music you can just get an Apple AirPort Express that does that via AirTunes and it costs under 100$ and you (maybe) could even extend your wifi network (not sure)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.