Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buzzpoet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Can anyone make a recommendation on a cheap solution?

I know there's the suggestion of using a USB Car Charger and then using the iPhone 4 sync cable. This seems like a hack, and I'm concerned about overcharging.

I have a Griffin car charger that works great with the 3G but doesn't make contact with the iPhone 4 with the bumper.

daemonite

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2010
Can anyone make a recommendation on a cheap solution?

I know there's the suggestion of using a USB Car Charger and then using the iPhone 4 sync cable. This seems like a hack, and I'm concerned about overcharging.

I have a Griffin car charger that works great with the 3G but doesn't make contact with the iPhone 4 with the bumper.

I use the Griffin USB car charger I have with my iPhone cable. Pretty much any car USB charger that supplies 500mAh to 1000mAh output will work. No need to worry about overcharging

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
You're concerned about overcharging? The iPhone 4 is a li-ion battery.

In fact, I prefer using a USB car charger with a sync cable... much more portable and more useful than a standalone car charger. You forgot your cable at a friends? You have an extra in the car. Have a friend that needs to charge his phone? Just use his USB cable.

Just my two cents.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I would suggest a cheap charger from ebay that accepts the USB cable and then pick up a cheap usb cable from ebay as well if you need it.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
Search eBay for the AT&T car charger. It's the one I use and it works fine. Should run you about $7 shipped.

roots4x

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
Search eBay for the AT&T car charger. It's the one I use and it works fine. Should run you about $7 shipped.

That does not work with the bumper. Some people seem to not read the actual thread. Best bet would be to find a USB charger and use an OEM cable. Better question might be where to buy a USB cable that will fit with the bumper on. That thread also has people responding with just random links though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.