PDA

View Full Version : Xcode and iPhone SDK question

ctyhntr
Aug 19, 2010, 05:12 PM
When I upgraded to Xcode 3.2.3, it remove my existing iPhone SDKs and only left it with 3.2 and 4.0. Is there anyway to restore or copy in older iPhone SDKs?

robbieduncan
Aug 19, 2010, 05:13 PM
You don't need to: use the later SDKs and set the deployment target to the lowest target iOS you want. The system will prevent you using any APIs that are not available in the lower SDK (assuming you've selected one)

ctyhntr
Aug 19, 2010, 05:33 PM
As part of my learning process, I have some useful open sourced code that I collected for reference and compiled in the previous xcode and sdk (3.1). I know where to edit my base SDK settings (4.0) in Project Settings.

There is one project, where when I compile and launch in Simulator it comes up as a black screen. My first thought was delete the build folder, and then run and build. No dice, next was checking the View Controller and File Owner settings in Interface Builder. That appears correct, so I'm stumped.

I'm thinking if I go back to 3.2.2 and re-compile it in 3.1, then I can have something to compare. So, I'm trying to rule that out, actually avoid uninstalling Xcode 3.2.3 as a troubleshooting method.

firewood
Aug 19, 2010, 07:17 PM
When I upgraded to Xcode 3.2.3, it remove my existing iPhone SDKs and only left it with 3.2 and 4.0. Is there anyway to restore or copy in older iPhone SDKs?

If you kept the previous SDK install .dmg file, you can (re)install the old one, then (re)install the new one in a separate directory. Then both SDK toolsets will be available for use.

ctyhntr
Aug 19, 2010, 07:44 PM
I wasn't aware that Xcode could install in a different directory. I'll give it a try.

Thank you

If you kept the previous SDK install .dmg file, you can (re)install the old one, then (re)install the new one in a separate directory. Then both SDK toolsets will be available for use.

dejo
Aug 19, 2010, 07:52 PM
I wasn't aware that Xcode could install in a different directory.
Yep, it says so in the Xcode Readme (see the Custom Install section). Probably one of the most important docs to read before installing new software.