PDA

View Full Version : Performance of Mini after Tiger-to-Snow Leopard upgrade

aep1974
Aug 19, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi all. I'm a newbie and have a question that I don't feel comfortable asking on the Apple forums. I have a Mac mini 10.4.11 (Tiger). I am planning on purchasing the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade (I've already read a thread on here discussing if that can be done). I am wondering about how the performance of my mini will be after the upgrade. If it will be less than stellar, perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and buy a new Mac. But if I can avoid that, I (and my wallet) would be very happy.

The reason for this quickie upgrade is I bought the iPad and didn't inquire as to minimum requirements beforehand. It's probably the only question I didn't ask in my iPad research.

DannySmurf
Aug 19, 2010, 09:30 PM
Hi all. I'm a newbie and have a question that I don't feel comfortable asking on the Apple forums. I have a Mac mini 10.4.11 (Tiger). I am planning on purchasing the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade (I've already read a thread on here discussing if that can be done). I am wondering about how the performance of my mini will be after the upgrade. If it will be less than stellar, perhaps it's time for me to bite the bullet and buy a new Mac. But if I can avoid that, I (and my wallet) would be very happy.

The reason for this quickie upgrade is I bought the iPad and didn't inquire as to minimum requirements beforehand. It's probably the only question I didn't ask in my iPad research.

Well first, check that your mini is actually capable of running Snow Leopard. You say it came with Tiger. Later G4s came with that too, and they will not run Snow Leopard.

MikieMcBikie
Aug 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
agreed, name the specs. i upgraded a G4(1.67) laptop from tiger to leopard to use the new iphone, and it runs horrible. so i got a new mini lol.

aep1974
Aug 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
agreed, name the specs. i upgraded a G4(1.67) laptop from tiger to leopard to use the new iphone, and it runs horrible. so i got a new mini lol.

1.66 Intel Core Duo

RRmalvado
Aug 20, 2010, 07:09 PM
1.66 Intel Core Duo

You can definitely install Snow Leopard on it.

thejadedmonkey
Aug 20, 2010, 07:11 PM
But you might want to upgrade to 2gb of RAM.

kilowattradio
Aug 20, 2010, 08:39 PM
1.66 Intel Core Duo

I run SL on a 1.66 MM and it works fine. You need the max of 2GB of ram though. I have noticed that sometimes graphic intensive flash video will seem slow, but my DVD movies play fine on it.
Don't use it as a game machine with intensive graphics either.:D

aep1974
Aug 20, 2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks all for the info!

oowf
Aug 30, 2010, 07:49 AM
Hi....

I have decided to switch all of our computer systems over to Mac and in a couple of the less intense areas I bought three mac mini's for those places.

They are the 2006 era production with the four USB Ports and the large video output...

1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo and OS 10.4.11

When I attempt to upgrade to either 10.5 X or SL 10.6.X I always get the message that the OS X can't be installed on this machine. I get the message on all three machine.

Can someone help me? At this point since we just got the computers there is no data to protect or application to save.

Thank You.