Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Does anyone have an idea or speculations on when and what the next PowerMac G5 line will be? First, will Apple release an update before the end of 2004. Second, when it does, what configs it may come in.

Just curious since i'm getting ready to replace my PowerMac G4500 Dual.

Cheers. :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I kinda like his way of saying what his computer is, maybe we could adopt it like a VIN for computer.

G51800D1500R

It saves some space don't you think?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm looking forward to an update on the Power Mac G5 at MWSF. It's only another five weeks. It would seem that would should finally pass that 3 GHz mark.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
wdlove said:
I'm looking forward to an update on the Power Mac G5 at MWSF. It's only another five weeks. It would seem that would should finally pass that 3 GHz mark.

All pretty much speculation. With Apple there is no guarantee on anything. We might have to wait until June again for an update, or not.

Basically, if you need a machine, buy it. But if you think waiting around for MWSF would make a difference, then 5 weeks shouldn't be that big a deal. But don't hold your breath.

D

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
wdlove said:
I'm looking forward to an update on . . .
A sure-fire way of being disappointed.

Steve's generally reserved the expo for consumer-oriented announcements. I would bet the keynote being heavy on software. Maybe something on eMacs, Powerbooks if you're lucky. Apple will probably save the Power Mac update until later in the month or sometime in February.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Looking at the buyers guide today, the Powermac is 1 day past it's average update cycle time of 176 days, Mac World in January will add about another 35 days to that, so based purely on the average update times I suppose its possible we could hear about something at Mac World in January. :)

Philoman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2003
Thank you everyone for their interesting speculations. I appreciate hearing everyone's input. cheers!

The one who comes closest to guessing will receive an ipod mini (paper fold-up model delivered via email) :)

vashim66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
I'd like to see:
A motherboard with PCI-Express x16 intead of AGP
Faster/cooler procs (duh)
option for BTO 10k RPM raptor drive
16x dual layer dvdr drive
nvidia 6600GT as the standard vid card so I dont have to spend a fortune for a decent card.

This hardware is alrdy available in $700 dells.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
This is a good point. Does anyone know anything about Apple and PCI Express??

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
No Powermac Update

I highly doubt there will be any updates to the Powermac G5 in January. You possibly might see updates elsewhere, but the Powermac updates will probably be a packaged deal with Tiger in June. I'm sure they are going to want to make a grand entrance, and severe updates in hardware and software will do just that.

January is too soon...IMHO... :D

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
dongmin said:
A sure-fire way of being disappointed.

Steve's generally reserved the expo for consumer-oriented announcements. I would bet the keynote being heavy on software. Maybe something on eMacs, Powerbooks if you're lucky. Apple will probably save the Power Mac update until later in the month or sometime in February.

February would be fine with me also. Now whenever something goes wrong with my G4, she says that it's my problem. Wanted me to already have a new Mac. Had a lockup with my Zip 100. Luckily a forced quit of the Finder worked.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
vashim66 said:
I'd like to see:
A motherboard with PCI-Express x16 intead of AGP
Faster/cooler procs (duh)
option for BTO 10k RPM raptor drive
16x dual layer dvdr drive
nvidia 6600GT as the standard vid card so I dont have to spend a fortune for a decent card.

This hardware is alrdy available in $700 dells.

I agree with your wish list (though I'd take the X700 over the 6600GT...trust ATI's drivers a little bit more), but the part about the $700 Dell is pure BS.

Only thing a $700 Dell comes with that is in your list is PCI-Express. Pentium 4 is not a cool processor, HD is 7200 rpm (and only 40GB!), doesn't even have a DVD recoding capabilities (let alone dual layer DVD-R), and the video "card" is crappy integrated video...not even as good as the eMac's!

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_dp_desktop2_1?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Don't completely ruin your credibility by making such absurd claims.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I wish every Mac had a 128MB graphics card standard but iBook and eMac. They aren't supposed to need it, they are not designed for it.

Macs used to be known for their great video cards... what happened? I have a Power Computing PowerTower Pro 225 with an 8MB video card. That card was the best thing money could buy... it took about two years before the iMac G3s had comparable video cards...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.