Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
What is Interference Robustness? It is an option on the pull down menu when you go wireless.... I dont have it checked... until now I did, and I dont see any difference... what does it do?
Thanks

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
I have no idea what it does (I guess it tries to minmize interference ;)), but I know that whenever I turn it on, it knocks my wireless out..

I've never seen it deliver an advantage..

/asif

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
hmm... weird. Yeah I guess it must block stuff maybe. my wireless didnt do anything... however the finder seemed a bit zippier...... just kidding ;)

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
It must reduce interference in certain conditions. like if you have a lot of interference from other devices... the only thing I notice it does it it reduces the signal strength for me.

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
Just have a look in the Airport Admin Utility folks...

Attachments

• airport_ir.gif
    airport_ir.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 405

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
It has something to do with microwave ovens...
They operate at frequencies of 2.45Ghz, almost the same as the 2.4GHz of your airport card. This option is ment to reduce the "noisy" caused by microwaves...

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Intereference Robustness is a feature built in to Airport cards to help drown out interference from other wave-emitting devices in similar frequencies, such as microwaves and 2.4 Ghz cordless phones. From what I can gather, turning on interference robustness increases the power but reduces the transmission range, thus you need to be within a good distance of your Airport base station for this to work.
Apple doesn't give much information about this. I had to do a Google search a while back when I had the same question. So basically, don't use it unless your computer and base station are right next to the microwave!

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
wow, thats cool
guess its a good thing for me to have on... cause my microwave, aswell as 2.4ghz phone are both in between me and my wireless station... awesome... maybe that feeling i had of "i think my internet is faster" wasnt just in my head when i turned it on :)
thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.