Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NomisQc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Hi, I own a Iphone 4.

I don't like the orange peel effect of my Phantom Skinz screen protector and I was impressed by pictures of the SGP screens.

I see many users seem to recommend the Oleophobic one.

I was wondering which of the 3 (OP, FINE (anti-fingerprints) or CRYSTAL) is best.

Why ?

Anyone compared two or more and found a definite favorite ?

Thanks !

kim2272

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
I've had the bodyguardz wet apply, SGP oleophobic, and a clear screen protector from incipio. So far I think that I have found the best one with the oleophobic. The clarity is just like viewing the phone with nothing on it. It does not leave a rainbow effect. I noticed myself cleaning the screen less often than I would with the clear protector or the bodyguardz. I totally recommend getting the SGP oleophobic. I bought mine from amazon. It is just $13.99 shipped. :)

http://www.amazon.com/SGP-STEINHEIL-iPhone-Protector-Oleophobic/dp/B003SQP986

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
If you're looking for clarity, you can eliminate the anti-fingerprint from the discussion. As for the Ultra Oleophobic, it is crystal clear but it will pick up fingerprints. I've had mine on for a few weeks now and it picks up fingerprints like crazy and it's becoming harder and harder to clean. I'm switching to PS Anti-Glare to see if I can put up with the reduction in clarity. The fingerprints and smudges are driving me insane.

asdff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2010
california
Hi, I own a Iphone 4.

I don't like the orange peel effect of my Phantom Skinz screen protector and I was impressed by pictures of the SGP screens.

I see many users seem to recommend the Oleophobic one.

I was wondering which of the 3 (OP, FINE (anti-fingerprints) or CRYSTAL) is best.

Why ?

Anyone compared two or more and found a definite favorite ?

Thanks !

i've used 3 of sgp's offerings on the iphone 4 and am waiting on powersupports antifingerprint hd atm. with that said...

if clairity is your primary concern, go with the oleo over the crystal. the oleo is amazing in that aspect and handles fingerprints and smudges better. but that is not to say that it doesn't show fingerprints at all... the naked glass seems to be better/easier with wiping fingerprints and smudges off in comparison, but this works really well.

the antifingerprint that i tried is the regular sgp steinheil--not the ultra fine version. on white screens it is really grainy but the sp pretty much shows no fingerprints/smudges and feels great. I can't wait to get the powersupport antifingerprint to try it out. based on the reviews of sgp's ultra fine version on here, that looks like it is the better anti-print screen though.

imo, sgp oleo is the one to go with for most users.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
SGP Oleo is the best one and it does NOT pick up fingerprints for me. The reason people are saying that is because they don't know there's some material left over from SGP top film. After installing and removing the top most film there's some residue left over. It's just like when you get a brand new iphone, after removing the film that came with iphone you can feel slight stickiness left on the screen. Just wipe off with water until screen is smooth.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
SGP Oleo is the best one and it does NOT pick up fingerprints for me. The reason people are saying that is because they don't know there's some material left over from SGP top film. After installing and removing the top most film there's some residue left over. It's just like when you get a brand new iphone, after removing the film that came with iphone you can feel slight stickiness left on the screen. Just wipe off with water until screen is smooth.

The SGP Oleo absolutely picks up fingerprints. Like I said, mine has been on for weeks now and even though it was good at first, it is now picking up way too many fingerprints (and I'm not a dirty or greasy person either:D). It is super clear and that's great and all but I can't keep it clean and that's a real problem for me. I may end up coming back to it if I hate the PS Anti-Glare, but I'm hoping I can put up with the reduction in clarity with the AG (I used AG on both my 3g and 3gs).

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC

you just may be on to something here......I have been wondering why people say the Oleo is a fingerprint magnet because for me it is certainly not.....I have been quite impressed with its oleo coating....pretty much exactly the same as a naked screen. I have always used PS films and I didnt realize about the extra top layer on the Oleo until after I installed it.....many people might miss it and leave it on unknowingly.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
you just may be on to something here......I have been wondering why people say the Oleo is a fingerprint magnet because for me it is certainly not.....I have been quite impressed with its oleo coating....pretty much exactly the same as a naked screen. I have always used PS films and I didnt realize about the extra top layer on the Oleo until after I installed it.....many people might miss it and leave it on unknowingly.

I actually wasn't happy at first with Oleo because of that rough feeling on the screen and it reminded me about the first time I got the iPhone4 the screen feels exactly the same. It was the sticky stuff left over from top film cover so I figured cleaning it off would make it smooth. Oleo is smooth as iphone screen after cleaning.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
The SGP Oleo absolutely picks up fingerprints. Like I said, mine has been on for weeks now and even though it was good at first, it is now picking up way too many fingerprints (and I'm not a dirty or greasy person either:D). It is super clear and that's great and all but I can't keep it clean and that's a real problem for me. I may end up coming back to it if I hate the PS Anti-Glare, but I'm hoping I can put up with the reduction in clarity with the AG (I used AG on both my 3g and 3gs).

Mine does pick up fingerprint but it's about the same amount as naked screen. But it wiped off easily for me. I must have screen clarity over anything else. My eyes are spoiled by Retina.

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I've tried the SGP Oleophobic, SGP Ultra Fine, and SGP Ultra Crystal. My husband has the PS anti-glare, so I've seen that but not really used it.

The best IMO so far is the Ultra Crystal. I find fingerprints less noticeable and easier to wipe off than they were on the oleophobic. They are about the same in terms of clarity. Also, I think the ultra crystal feels more like the naked glass than the oleophobic, which I like.

The main downside to the Ultra Crystal is that it doesn't seem to fully adhere around the cutouts. A lot of people have this issue, including me, but it's still my favorite anyway.

The Ultra Fine had too much noise on bright backgrounds.

For me, the PS anti-glare takes away too much clarity from the retina display. But keep in mind I've only briefly played with the PS.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
SGB Oleo for sure. Excellent job on cutting down on fingerprints, very easy to clean and it's perfectly clear. Easy to install. The best. ;)

NomisQc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Thanks for all the input !

I think I will give the OP a try.

Worst case scenario, it's 15$ in the garbage...

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
I have been using the OLE for a week. No scratches (yet). Although it is smooth as glass the second you get greasy fingers on it, it proves difficult to wipe away. You'll need a cloth to clean it as the grease just smudges all over the place. Other than that the clarity is top notch and its as if there is nothing there. I do like it over the PS Anti-Glare

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.