PDA

View Full Version : How to clean ipad

auzzuro
Aug 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
Hi how do u guys clean the clean the screen and the back of e ipad? Do u guys use any solution? Even when u have protectin screen do u guys still use any solution to clean them?

Blakjack
Aug 20, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hi how do u guys clean the clean the screen and the back of e ipad? Do u guys use any solution? Even when u have protectin screen do u guys still use any solution to clean them?

Many people are scared to do this because they are punks, but just get a paper towel fold so it's thick, spray it with windex two to three times, squeeze so it's not drenched and wipe your iPad down front and back. It's really not that serious. This is how I cleaned all my iPhones and now my iPad. Never had a problem.

As the iPad gets older just wiping it with a cloth takes longer because the coating starts to wear off.

GadgetAddict
Aug 20, 2010, 06:23 PM
Download (http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=answerlink&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmanuals.info.apple.com%2Fen_US%2FiPad_User_Guide.pdf&answerid=16777220&src=support_site.home) and navigate to page 26. No better way than the manufacturer's instructions.

gatearray
Aug 20, 2010, 09:48 PM
Many people are scared to do this because they are punks, but just get a paper towel fold so it's thick, spray it with windex two to three times, squeeze so it's not drenched and wipe your iPad down front and back. It's really not that serious. This is how I cleaned all my iPhones and now my iPad. Never had a problem.

As the iPad gets older just wiping it with a cloth takes longer because the coating starts to wear off.

I'm "scared" to do this because I am a punk? If anyone thinks that the iPad or iPhone is a bitch to clean now with a fully intact oleophobic coating, you'll wish you were dead once it's all gone from spraying Windex on it-- THE WORST THING YOU COULD EVER DO TO YOUR IDEVICE!

Apple specifically says not to do this with good reason, before I knew the dangers, I used Windex on my old 3GS, and once that coating was gone, I was this close to dropping $80 for new glass just to end the greasy smeared nightmare that it was. Now that I have an iPhone 4 I can put the noose back in the drawer.

Light pressure with a plain white T-shirt will do the trick and the glass will be smooth as silk. Launch day iPad here that is still a joy to use with no screen protector just like day one. If you need Windex or any other solvent to clean your glass my advice is to wash your hands a little more often! :)

Chiisu
Aug 20, 2010, 10:00 PM
They're inexpensive, they clean it easily, and you can clean them rinsing them in the sink or throwing in the laundry.

Blakjack
Aug 20, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm "scared" to do this because I am a punk? If anyone thinks that the iPad or iPhone is a bitch to clean now with a fully intact oleophobic coating, you'll wish you were dead once it's all gone from spraying Windex on it-- THE WORST THING YOU COULD EVER DO TO YOUR IDEVICE!

Apple specifically says not to do this with good reason, before I knew the dangers, I used Windex on my old 3GS, and once that coating was gone, I was this close to dropping $80 for new glass just to end the greasy smeared nightmare that it was. Now that I have an iPhone 4 I can put the noose back in the drawer.

Light pressure with a plain white T-shirt will do the trick and the glass will be smooth as silk. Launch day iPad here that is still a joy to use with no screen protector just like day one. If you need Windex or any other solvent to clean your glass my advice is to wash your hands a little more often! :)

See u weren't reading correctly. I said spray windex on the paper towel guy not the iPad. Dealing with a cloth is too much. U have to keep up with the thing. Just spray the napkin and wipe it down. Trust me, u won't hurt your iPad buddy.

If u think that coating is going to last, think again.it never does. After wiping with a shirt over a period of time, the screen gets smudgier and smudgier. That tshirt doesn't do the trick anymore. It's really really not that serious. Use glass cleaner. Don't do like that guy says and spray it directly on your iPad. I don't know where he gets that from.

nixiemaiden
Aug 20, 2010, 10:36 PM
I usually dampen a corner of a microfiber cloth with water, wipe it down, then wipe it with the dry part.

I also have a special screen cleaner that I use on my cellphone but haven't needed to use it on my iPad since just water works fine. My phone gets too greasy for just water though.

gatearray
Aug 20, 2010, 10:49 PM
See u weren't reading correctly. I said spray windex on the paper towel guy not the iPad. Dealing with a cloth is too much. U have to keep up with the thing. Just spray the napkin and wipe it down. Trust me, u won't hurt your iPad buddy.

If u think that coating is going to last, think again.it never does. After wiping with a shirt over a period of time, the screen gets smudgier and smudgier. That tshirt doesn't do the trick anymore. It's really really not that serious. Use glass cleaner. Don't do like that guy says and spray it directly on your iPad. I don't know where he gets that from.

The issue is Windex coming into contact with the glass, "guy," it makes no difference in the end how it gets there before you start scrubbing. Spray it on your hand or the cat first, whatever. You originally said to "wring" out the paper towel, right there tells me that it is WET, so why does it matter if the glass is made wet directly or with a napkin middleman???

You speak about the coating going to hell regardless, and I would argue that this is your opinion from personal experience by using Windex to hasten the process. Those impossible smudges you speak of as a foregone conclusion are a result of using glass cleaner where it doesn't belong, as per the manufacturer's explicit instructions.

To the OP, do whatever you think is best, it's your device after all, but in the friendliest way possible I recommend that you take Apple's (and my) word for it and stay away from Windex for the longest oleophobic coating life possible.

Have a good night.

misterbig
Aug 20, 2010, 11:19 PM
I usually use just water and a tissue when I'm up and about. When I'm at home I use a screen cleaner + microfiber cloth.

Shasta McNasty
Aug 21, 2010, 12:45 AM
microfiber towel, or i used to use the cloth that came with the iphone

Blakjack
Aug 21, 2010, 01:35 AM
The issue is Windex coming into contact with the glass, "guy," it makes no difference in the end how it gets there before you start scrubbing. Spray it on your hand or the cat first, whatever. You originally said to "wring" out the paper towel, right there tells me that it is WET, so why does it matter if the glass is made wet directly or with a napkin middleman???

You speak about the coating going to hell regardless, and I would argue that this is your opinion from personal experience by using Windex to hasten the process. Those impossible smudges you speak of as a foregone conclusion are a result of using glass cleaner where it doesn't belong, as per the manufacturer's explicit instructions.

To the OP, do whatever you think is best, it's your device after all, but in the friendliest way possible I recommend that you take Apple's (and my) word for it and stay away from Windex for the longest oleophobic coating life possible.

Have a good night.

I know all of my iPhones and my iPad are not the only ones that do this so here is how it usually works.

When I first buy them, I can just use my shirt to dry wipe them. After so many dry wipes, the coating goes bad. When the coating goes bad, dry wiping takes much longer which gets irritating, no matter how clean my hands are. Seems like I have to wipe for hours(exaggerated). So instead of purchasing some little rag that I'm going to have to keep up with, I use a paper towel with a small amount of windex on it to clean the glass and metal backing. The windex has no way of getting into any ports as long as u only damp the paper towel and it definitely doesn't have any kind of chemical reaction on the iPad surfaces. It doesn't take a genius to use windex properly. We have all cleaned bathrooms I hope. When u say ring the paper towel, it makes it seem like your pouring the whole bottle of windex onto the paper towel. A few misty sprays will suffice.

Gosh, a whole lesson on how to clean the iPad. If you ask me, the question is kinda on the "are u kidding me" side.

Ciclismo
Aug 21, 2010, 02:08 AM
For a thorough clean...

http://dianaconsultants.com/images/sandblasting.jpg

ntrigue
Aug 21, 2010, 02:46 AM
The smudges and dust are ridiculous.

Magic Eraser worked pretty well.

bri1212
Aug 21, 2010, 03:23 AM
Please no matter what anyone says. Do not use windex or any other alcohol based product on your Ipad or Iphone. It will definitely ruin the screen.
I have a micro-fiber cloth, and use water with it, and they always look brand new. I also don't have a lot of problems keeping up with my micro-fiber cloth, as I put it back every time in the same place.

duncyboy
Aug 21, 2010, 04:00 AM
I use screen wipes on the metal back ONLY. On the screen I use a good microfibre cloth and, if it needs it, a few spots of water.

Be VERY cautious about what you use on the screen because of the oleophobishness.

May cleanliness be with you and your 'pad.

drenline
Aug 21, 2010, 04:10 AM
just breathe hot air onto the screen and wipe it with the micro fiber cleaning cloth.... and for the back, I'm not sure.. I usually keep my ipad in a case all the time so it's rarely exposed to dust or any other particles.

mhall
Aug 21, 2010, 05:39 AM
Believe it or not, the best way to clean the screen is to drag the underside of your forearm over the screen a couple times. Works a treat, gets rid of all the smudges and restores the 'just out of the box' shine! Just give it a try, I didn't believe it either.

banderson6793
Aug 21, 2010, 06:03 AM
I am surprised no one suggested using a ShamWow...

I prefer to use those cloths they sell for cleaning your glasses (without the solution).

Julien
Aug 21, 2010, 06:51 AM
Microfiber and/or moisture (water) and/or eyeglass spray (it is designed for optical coated glass) if needed. Stay away from cleaners like Windex. They are formulated to clean straight glass and other surfaces with ammonia and powerful degreasers. You can use Windex (or other degreasing cleaner like 409) on the back but not on the glass surface.

doodude
Aug 21, 2010, 08:11 AM
The smudges and dust are ridiculous.

Magic Eraser worked pretty well.

Magic eraser, is that the white spongey material from Mr. Clean that's for cleaning marks like sharpies that people write on the bathroom walls with?
Would that be a little too good for the glass treatment on an iPad?

I use micro fiber cloth towels that clean the smudges & shines the glass beautifully but I can feel tiny bumps under my finger as I touch the glass. They come off using a finger nail but what's best for removing those, just water?

And before someone say it, yes, I cover my coughs, sneezes etc...:p

iHeartapple2
Aug 21, 2010, 10:36 AM
I use iKlear cleaner/polish. This stuff is made for Apple products and it really puts a nice shine on the screen and gives it a slick feeling. You can pick it up at the Apple store or order it directly from the company. Do not use cleaners like Windex on your electronics!

IrishTiger
Aug 21, 2010, 01:31 PM
I use iKlear cleaner/polish. This stuff is made for Apple products and it really puts a nice shine on the screen and gives it a slick feeling. You can pick it up at the Apple store or order it directly from the company. Do not use cleaners like Windex on your electronics!

+1. I use iKlear too. I ordered it offline, and I have the big bottle, and the small bottle i travel with (pilot) and I also have some handy single use wipes that came with the package. I feel much more comfortable using that on my Apple products than anything else. I also use it on my Navi screen in my car, and on my rearview mirror (if you use windex on those automatic dimming mirrors, it could cause them to explode/leak fluid).

iKlear is great stuff.

iKlear FTW!!! Click this to see the product I bought. (http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS833LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY)

tekchic
Aug 21, 2010, 03:36 PM
Another vote for iKlear followed by microfiber. Simple, easy, great results. I use it on my MBP, iPhone, and iPad and they all look spotless afterward. One 2oz bottle will last ages too.

heavy2healthy
Aug 21, 2010, 05:36 PM
dishwasher light wash cycle. lol I keep mine in a case and it has a antiglare screen protector. So I get alot less fingerprints. But I take it out of the case and wipe it down with one of my camera lens cleaning clothes.

Battlestar
Aug 23, 2010, 08:57 AM
If you wear a cotton t shirt you can clean your screen by rubbing it up against your stomach. It works great.

saberahul
Aug 23, 2010, 10:39 AM
I use the cleaning cloth that came with my iPod touch. It works well and takes all the lint and dust away.

Grievous Angel
Aug 23, 2010, 03:38 PM
I just wet a clean bath rag, ring it out thoroughly, then carefully wipe down the entire thing.

Have done that since new without a single problem.

I'm sure we could wait on Apple to release a bottled-water cleaning solution and magical cleaning cloth for 49.99. That might be better.

caubeck
Sep 21, 2010, 07:19 AM
I use any Microfiber cloth. You can buy them for 60 cents up near me, large and small. The back of my ex's cuddly giraffe worked very well, too.

Maybe that's where it all went wrong...

Chris Blount
Sep 21, 2010, 08:26 AM
I just wipe the screen across my pant leg or shirt. Works like a charm.

melman101
Sep 21, 2010, 08:46 AM
I use iKlear solution and the microfiber cloth it came with. I've even seen the Apple Genius's use this on the brought in to be fixed iPads :-).

maturola
Sep 21, 2010, 09:05 AM
They're inexpensive, they clean it easily, and you can clean them rinsing them in the sink or throwing in the laundry.

Best answer right here, I got still got a couple of the microfibers i got with my Original iPhone and Macbook, and that is what I use, it works perfectly.

GreggM3
Sep 22, 2010, 02:00 PM
If my son can remove the paint from the grill of my Jeep with a Mr. Clean magic eraser, then it is clearly too strong for a coated touch screen! Yikes!

THiPad
Sep 23, 2010, 06:32 PM
I bought a pak of Reuseable Microfiber Cloths from Bed Bath and Beyond. Use it dry. Works so perfectly, over and over again. I cut one in half and use it for my iPad.

ajax43
Sep 25, 2010, 10:30 AM

What does that even mean??

GinoDotCom
Sep 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
Microfiber towel is the way to go 100%

glen4cindy
Sep 25, 2010, 02:49 PM

Quoted from the iPad manual written by Apple: "Donít use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe the iPad screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen."

So, ACTUALL FOLLOWING the manufacturer's recommendations makes you a PUNK? That's a very interesting statement, one that I'm sure many users here take exception to.

But, IF following apple's recommendations makes me a PUNK, then I guess I'm a PUNK. I paid $699 for my iPad, and I want my coating to last as long as possible. I will only clean the screen the way Apple recommends. It's not like they are selling outrageously expensive iPad cleaning kits that would seem to give them a special reason to recommend not using window cleaners.

ArmCortexA8
Sep 26, 2010, 02:33 AM

I thought people had common sense, well I beg to differ. Firstly any device that has a glass screen like the iPad and iPhone and even the iPod touch, should not be cleaned with alcohol / solvents / thinners etc as these destroy the oleo-phobic coating and also the glass itself. Windex causes streaks and destroys the coating completely. Don't people read the cleaning / precaution information with these devices? Its common sense.

Here's a simple effective and free method that works. Use a damp cloth (not soaking wet) to clean the screen, and then use a clean lint-free cloth to dry it off - thats it - no sprays - no chemicals - no issues. Ive used this same method on the iPhone 4 / iPad and even my MacBook Pro.

cymonesays
Nov 22, 2010, 03:07 PM
These guys put together this iPad safe cleaning solution that doesn't kill the screen film. It doesn't smell like it has alcohol, but it gets the fingerprints and stuff off mad quick! I ordered this MDI-72 for $10 bucks and its working like a charm. I found them here --> http://www.mdi72.com. Check them aout and whatever you do DON'T use alchohol or those screen cleaners. I'm afraid of putting anything too harsh on my iPad. Apple says they tear up the screen's special coating.