PDA

View Full Version : why pay $99 to load iOS apps?

BeanieMan
Aug 20, 2010, 09:57 PM
I am wanting to play around with programming touch screen devices as a little hobby, and I've been thinking of getting an iPod Touch. However, apparently I would have to pay $99 per year just to be able to load my own programs onto my own device. Am I understanding this right? I can't upload any iOS app to any iOS device unless I have a $99 per year account with the iPhone Developer Program? Why does it make sense to charge this fee? I'm hoping i just misunderstand what i was reading...

Other questions:
-Is there any way to load apps to an iPod for free, without the developers account? maybe with a jailbroken iPod Touch or something?
-Presumably there are no such paid accounts for such hobby development for Android. Are there any good iPod-like Android music/video devices out there? All i could find were Android phones and music apps for some reason... (creative zii egg)

---sorry, I put this in the wrong category. I don't know how to put it under the right one...

ranguvar
Aug 21, 2010, 02:31 AM
You can deploy apps on your iPhone / iPod touch without paying the $99. Check out Alex Whittemore's blog (http://www.alexwhittemore.com/?p=398).

Like you, I don't understand why you'd need to pay $99 to run your programs on your device.

firewood
Aug 22, 2010, 03:25 AM
I just assume the real price of the iDevice includes the $99 dev fee. The out-the-door price includes a non-dev-(l)user discount, that's why it's less.

..unless you want to do the non-warranty cracked security thing.

StefanDevil
Aug 28, 2010, 10:02 AM
You can deploy apps on your iPhone / iPod touch without paying the $99. Check out Alex Whittemore's blog (http://www.alexwhittemore.com/?p=398).

Like you, I don't understand why you'd need to pay $99 to run your programs on your device.

hi there,

i tried this out, but when i change the sdksettings .plist, my xcode crash everytime it launch. i am use 3.1.3 sdk. anyone knows how to solve?

thks in advance