PDA

View Full Version : Idea for thread creators

SchneiderMan
Aug 21, 2010, 01:28 AM
Iv'e got an idea for thread creators that might even help mods out a little.
I'm not sure if you would agree with me on this but here it goes.
Say I was a thread OP and there are spam and non-thread related posts, I could have the feature to remove those posts myself without having a mod to do so. Basically it's like having your own rights within the thread you created.
Maybe this can be a feature for more experienced forum members and not for newbies?

Thoughts?

appleguy123
Aug 21, 2010, 01:30 AM
I've been thinking about this for awhile too. I also want a way to lok my own thread if it becomes unruly.

SchneiderMan
Aug 21, 2010, 01:30 AM
I've been thinking about this for awhile too. I also want a way to lok my own thread if it becomes unruly.

Exactly, I mean why not? It's something that can be taken into Beta testing :D

lbro
Aug 21, 2010, 01:34 AM
I kind of like this idea too, make it a requirement to have a post count of 500 or more or be a demi/contributor.

Jaffa Cake
Aug 21, 2010, 01:34 AM
The problem I can imagine though is that you're going to get some folk deleting posts that disagree with their point of view, even if the posts are perfectly reasonable and don't break any forum rules.

Unfortunately, it's a privilege that I think would be too open to abuse.

iBookG4user
Aug 21, 2010, 01:37 AM
Perhaps modify it so that the thread creator can flag posts to be deleted by the mods and temporarily hide them until a mod deems them good or bad.

SchneiderMan
Aug 21, 2010, 01:44 AM
The problem I can imagine though is that you're going to get some folk deleting posts that disagree with their point of view, even if the posts are perfectly reasonable and don't break any forum rules.

Unfortunately, it's a privilege that I think would be too open to abuse.

That can be an issue yes but, and this is a big butt, (nah I got nothin.) :D

There can be a warning message that you agree to before wiping off a post that says that you should only remove posts that are spam and not topic related.!

lbro
Aug 21, 2010, 01:47 AM

There can be a warning message that you agree to before wiping off a post that says that you should only remove posts that are spam and not topic related.!

And if you wipe off too many good posts you get a TO.

Peace
Aug 21, 2010, 01:48 AM

Well then you'd need a mod to moderate that. Which defeats the purpose.:)

SchneiderMan
Aug 21, 2010, 02:27 AM
Well then you'd need a mod to moderate that. Which defeats the purpose.:)

Not really because you only have an option when you create your own thread. In some other forums you can delete your own posts and threads btw.

Oh I get what you're saying now. But you still need mods to close down spam threads and such.

Hellhammer
Aug 21, 2010, 02:45 AM
Only feature I would like is to delete/close a thread I made so if/when it gets offtopic, I could close it. Having a right to delete or edit the posts made in that thread would be overkill as most threads are made be newbies and if someone disagrees with OP's opinion, he will delete the post. Also, spammers usually don't think their posts as spamming so they would report the OP meaning more work.

It's good as it is now. If you want it to be closed, report it. Mods will close it if OP requests it in 9 cases out of 10. The idea of mods is to have an unbiased group of people who just follow the rules and do their duty. We don't need more work for mods as this would cause a lot of it when people start soloing.

Some extra mods could possibly help this situation and it's been told that it's under discussion so in future, your reports may be processed quicker than in the near past.

Surely
Aug 21, 2010, 02:49 AM
Sorry SchneiderMan, bad idea.

Too much risk of abuse that way, and it will probably lead to more work for the mods.

I agree with Hellhammer on this.

sammich
Aug 21, 2010, 02:54 AM
Sorry SchneiderMan, bad idea.

Too much risk of abuse that way, and it will probably lead to more work for the mods.

I agree with Hellhammer on this.

If you could silence someone's voice just because you wanted to, that's bad. That would mean that they would spam that thread in the hopes their voice will be heard. Bad for everyone.

I vote for a Karma/Post voting system only available to 6502a members and above. This solves the problem of OT posts (poorly ranked posts are either hidden, or can be easily glossed over), and making it available to regular members means that abuse is difficult.

SchneiderMan
Aug 21, 2010, 02:54 AM
Totally fine, it was simply an idea that I did not have high hopes for anyway lol.
I myself would never delete someones post because I do not agree with him.

Hellhammer
Aug 21, 2010, 03:06 AM
I myself would never delete someones post because I do not agree with him.

Unfortunately everyone isn't as wise as you are :( This is the feedback forum so I guess all ideas are welcome and ideas can always be improved when people jump in with their own ideas and opinions :)

maflynn
Aug 21, 2010, 06:20 AM
I could have the feature to remove those posts myself without having a mod to do so. Basically it's like having your own rights within the thread you created.
You realize that many people will in affect remove any posts that they disagree with. It doesn't matter if they're seasoned veterans of MR or newbies. You cannot have people censor discussions.

miles01110
Aug 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
This has been brought up numerous times before and it's still a bad idea.

redwarrior
Aug 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
Yes, this has been brought up numerous times. It simply would not work because it would cause more work for the mods, not less. The simple fact that we need moderators at all is a good indicator that we are only semi-adequate at moderating ourselves, much less threads or other members.

annk
Aug 22, 2010, 12:33 PM
It's understandable that an OP has a greater interest in how a thread progresses, but IMO the best way to keep things in line is to report problem posts. :)

If a post is a blatant violation of a rule, it will be deleted - - and that means all the responses to it will need to go (or at the very least be edited, which is actually more work due to the documentation necessary). So not replying to a problem post is another way to help.

Finally, it's not necessary to post "reported". That post has to be deleted eventually, too. It doesn't matter if a lot of people report a post; all reports of a single post are grouped together when we see them, so many reports of a post don't create any more work for us. And sometimes it can be helpful to see whether more than one member has reacted.