Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kennybrosif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
So i have been having major problems with my powerbook G4. I know its old but its been good to me. Until recently when all of a sudden it would switch the date and time to a random date in 1969. It also will not connect to the internet by means of ethernet cable or airport. Just so you know i have used a torrent site, but only 2-3 times download a song or two. If you know anyway that i can fix this or anything that can help, that would be great.

Thanks so much,
Kenny

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
There are no viruses for OS X. There are only trojans but those you have to install and insert your admin's password.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the time and date change could point to a dying or dead pram battery
the networks problems could possibly be solved by a permission repair (that helped on my ibook when i just could not get the airport express card to connect to my router)
on the other hand some powerbooks had some problems like failing ram slots and some problems with the airport express failing , but that would be the worst case scenario depending which size screen ( because unlike in the iBooks apple did not consider to get the airport card fitted userfriendly in the PowerBooks )

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
PRAM battery. The problem connecting to the internet is a result of the fact your PRAM battery is dead...the computer actually thinks it's in 1969.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
that helped on my ibook when i just could not get the airport express card to connect to my router [...] problems with the airport express failing

For clarity for those reading this later, this should be Airport Extreme, not Express. Express is an external mini-router that gets plugged into a wall, Extreme is the internal card.

I'm sure this was simply a mixup, so I wanted to clarify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.