PDA

View Full Version : Like the apple case but better quality?

bilbo--baggins
Aug 21, 2010, 06:53 AM
I like the functionality of the Apple case, without it the iPad is too slippery and the wrong angle on my lap. However everyone says the apple case is made of poor quality materials.

Is there something very similar design but better quality. I found other vaguely similar designs but none that seem quite as good.

sracer
Aug 21, 2010, 08:49 AM
I like the functionality of the Apple case, without it the iPad is too slippery and the wrong angle on my lap. However everyone says the apple case is made of poor quality materials.

Is there something very similar design but better quality. I found other vaguely similar designs but none that seem quite as good.
The Chinao case is virtually identical to the Apple case in every way except made out of different material. If you like the Apple case, then you like the Chinao.

corykane
Aug 21, 2010, 08:52 AM
I think the Cyber Acoustics Leather Portfolio is a well made case that is similar to the Apple case.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=978983

sracer
Aug 21, 2010, 01:39 PM
I think the Cyber Acoustics Leather Portfolio is a well made case that is similar to the Apple case.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=978983
That's a very nice case but it is more along the lines of the Macally Bookstand/Yoobao style cases rather than the Apple case. If the OP is looking for a case that is virtually identical to the Apple case then there are none closer than the Chinao.

TheBritishBloke
Aug 21, 2010, 01:45 PM
I like the apple case.. Except it picks up dirt easily, but easy to clean.

SuperChargers
Aug 21, 2010, 02:45 PM

I heard that the chinao was a good case too, wish more people who purchased them would post, I'm very interested as well. And they are a great price...the seller on eBay has great ratings...

bilbo--baggins
Aug 21, 2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I really like the look of the Chinao case except they're really expensive to get sent to the UK.

The Cyber Acoustics Leather Portfolio also looks good, at first I wondered about the exposed sides but I don't think it's a big deal. Unfortunately they don't ship outside the US.

I read the thread on the Macally Bookstand and early discussions were very enthusiastic but later lots of reports of quality issues and fraudulent credit card charges which has put me off that one.

I'm a little confused by the various revisions of the Yoobao. I'm a bit put off by the fact it only seems to be available on ebay (like the Chinao). Also the version that comes up mostly seems to have too much of the screen edges covered. I recently had issues with the SwitchEasy Colors case on my iPhone being too close to the screen edge, so that it interfered with using the touch screen. I definitely prefer the fact that others (like the Apple design) keep the case well away from the touch screen area. Having the corners so exposed doesn't make sense either.

I found a few myself that look promising. The Marware Eco-Vue looks good. I'm not impressed with the flap that 'holds' the iPad in, though reviews seem to infer it's not a big deal. The bit of elastic to hold the cover shut looks a bit pathetic too. It looks like it encroaches too much on the touch screen.

The XGear Folio also seems like a good case. Quite expensive, but one comment that it fits in the Belkin neoprene case (which I have) sounds good for extra protection when travelling.

Any others?

Darth Maniac
Aug 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
You could see if this is on sale in the UK: http://www.gumdropcases.com/surf-convertible-ipad-case.html

Its identical to the iPad case but once again someone has decided to try some funky material and I can see the "Faux Suede" being a dirt magnet. But its another option.

sracer
Aug 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I read the thread on the Macally Bookstand and early discussions were very enthusiastic but later lots of reports of quality issues and fraudulent credit card charges which has put me off that one.
I've owned a Macally Bookstand for months and the quality is fine. Some may have received a defective unit, but it is holding up well. If you decide to buy one, just don't buy it from the Macally site and you should be fine (Macally's ecommerce site appears to have been compromised).

corykane
Aug 21, 2010, 06:34 PM
I have no idea if the quality of this is good at all (coming from China) but there are a lot of cheap iPad cases on this site that look similar to the Apple case.

http://www.sw-box.com/Flip-And-Folder-Leather-Case-Cover-Pouch-For-Ipad-Black.html