Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
this is a quote from 2 motorola guys taken from MacUser UK magazine.

'...but according to two Motorola people, he erupted when Jobs, in a telephone conversation, tried to strick a bargain: granting Motorola the right to continue cloning in return for a promise to speed up development of microprocessors crucial to Apple's laptop business. Jobs erupted right back. Motorola later took a $95 million charge to shut down cloning.

Motorola continues as a chip supplier to the company, but officals say they will no long go the extra mile for Apple. "They will be just another customer," one says.' - MacUser UK June '98

Jobs did take the piss with Motolora with the cloning business so he must have been spending all to time cooking somthing up with IBM the other PowerPC partner, maybe this new Power4 chip.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
This is good news :D. Moto needs to go. I just hope that the next powermacs will be by IBM and not moto. Those 2 GHz chips IBM is planning would be tight on a powermac. I really dont care who manufactures the chips as long as they are fast, and I think that IBM is more likely to make a better microprocessor.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Way back to the Clone Wars, eh? Well that makes sence, sort of, why development has been so slow with the G4.

Ah well, I'm ready to embrace IBM as the new chip supplier for Apple. I just hope they are a little more regular with the updates.

D

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I think Motorola is just hurting themselves by not developing the G4/G5 to what it could be (For the G5, the 'what it could be' is on your desk :p )

I don't think IBM would hold much of a grudge against Apple. Besides, they see profit here... I'm sure that IBM would jump on the chance to beat the worthless sh*t out of the x86 platform :eek: :eek: :D :cool:

The way I see it, is like driving a standard transmission... When you change gears, it's like changing processors... You give it gas when letting the clutch back up (introducing the processor, hype it.) And when you go to the next phase (or gear), you let off the gas and push the clutch in smoothly, so that the car doesn't lurch, or if you let off the gas too early, the car slows down. If you keep the gas down, and push the clutch in, you rev the engine, and when you go into the next gear, bad stuff happens (at least with my truck :p )

It may be a very obscured way to put it, but it works for me :cool:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
How's that proof???

I don't see how an article from 4 years ago constitutes proof of anything.

I also don't see Apple dropping Motorola completely. I envision that the "pro" line Macs will sport the new IBM chips (I'm not calling them G5s because I think Apple will use another designation). The "consumer" (and TiBook) Macs will continue to use the G4 (7455 and 7470 - when available).

Every Mac will have Altivec (or some facsimile thereof) and they'll all be over 1ghz.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Re: How's that proof???

Originally posted by ftaok
I don't see how an article from 4 years ago constitutes proof of anything.

I also don't see Apple dropping Motorola completely. I envision that the "pro" line Macs will sport the new IBM chips (I'm not calling them G5s because I think Apple will use another designation). The "consumer" (and TiBook) Macs will continue to use the G4 (7455 and 7470 - when available).

Every Mac will have Altivec (or some facsimile thereof) and they'll all be over 1ghz.

it takes about four yers or so to produce a microprocessor from scratch. four years ago they had already invested and were in development stage of the g4, they were not gonna trash all that in the bin. where the g5 (8500) went in development a year or two after the clone disagreement, notice how the 8500 is useless in a desktop machine, which is what Apple need it for.

Yes the G4 will still exist in the consumer line but these G4's (74XX) are not new chips which do not have any R&D costs, that way Motorola are not investing any money in the G4 production, their not 'going the extra mile' they manufacture it and sell it to Apple at a profit as 'just another customer'.

let me put it another way, ATI pissed Jobs off once look what happend to them...nVidia anyone

GET THE POINT:mad:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Re: How's that proof???

Originally posted by Mr Jobs
it takes about four yers or so to produce a microprocessor from scratch. four years ago they had already invested and were in development stage of the g4, they were not gonna trash all that in the bin. where the g5 (8500) went in development a year or two after the clone disagreement, notice how the 8500 is useless in a desktop machine, which is what Apple need it for.

Yes the G4 will still exist in the consumer line but these G4's (74XX) are not new chips which do not have any R&D costs, that way Motorola are not investing any money in the G4 production, their not 'going the extra mile' they manufacture it and sell it to Apple at a profit as 'just another customer'.

let me put it another way, ATI pissed Jobs off once look what happend to them...nVidia anyone

GET THE POINT:mad:
MJ,

Your topic was "proof why motorola is out & IBM in", right? So now you're saying that Motorola will still be around in the consumer lines. So which is it? Are they out or are they in?

About your ATi/nVidia point. ATi still supplies the video cards for the iBook, the TiBook and some PowerMacs. So what's the point there? Is it that ATi used to have the whole Mac market and now they share? Well if so, Motorola never had the entire Mac market (post PPC). They've always shared with IBM.

What's your point again? :rolleyes:

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
yet another ridiculous thread...

first of all, since when did you, Mr. Jobs, become an expert in microprocessor development? Four years from scratch, huh? Is this a industry-wide rule, Motorola-only rule, or just something you pulled out of your a$$?

second of all, Moto has gone through a lot of management and strategy changes since four years ago. To imply that because Moto "lost" $95 mil (which was chump change for Moto back then) in the clone business four years ago, they're willing to shoot themselves in the foot for years down the road and screw a major profit source--that's just plain silly.

finally, to me the problem with Moto is not the stalled development of the G5. The G5 is just a rumor. No one here has a clue as to what Apple-Moto is planning for the next generation of chips. No, the problem is that Moto sucks in mass-producing their chips; they can't get decent enough yields on existing designs for Apple to really push the clockspeeds on the G4s. The processor issues has been around for a while now. The G5 is something different altogether.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by dongmin
yet another ridiculous thread...

read something properly before you open you a$$ with comments, i didn't say 'four years...' I said 'it takes about four years or so...' cos no i am not a microprocessor expert but i do know my fair share.

i don't think and didn't expect everyone else for once to think that Motorola made their entire business around this one little argument, i sure there were other factors involved as well. maybe i didn't make my self clear on that point. However i didn't imply anything on Motorola's behalf, i didn't imply one bit instead (this is where you should shout you a$$ hole and open your ear hole) ...instead i quoted a motorola representative, '...will no long go the extra mile for Apple. "They will be just another customer"...' taken from MacUser UK magazine.

You think no one has a clue what (Apple) Motorola is planning for the next generation of chips, hey dickward heard of a 'PowerPC road map'. The 601 - 74XX details were reviled before they came out in the 'PowerPc road map'. These microprocessors are also demoed or at least technical info to developers around a year or before their release (Apple desktop machines for example) just like IBM will be doing in the microprocessor furom in October. they did it with the 740, and 7400 which was rebadged by Apple as G3 and G4.

lastly Motorola's 'PowerPc road map' had the 8500 as the next generation PowerPC, yet the 8500 useless in a desktop machine which is what Apple need it for. Now you tell me if Motorola are going the extra mile for Apple.

Like i said i am not a microprocessor expert but i do know i fair share but i noticed you however know JACK so you not worth wasting my time on.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Re: How's that proof???

MJ,

Your topic was "proof why motorola is out & IBM in",
right? So now you're saying that Motorola will still
be around in the consumer lines. So which is it? Are
they out or are they in?

What's your point again? :rolleyes:

when i said moto was out i was referring to the G5 as
in the G5 will not be from motorola, sorry i i didn't
mention that part i expected every one to understand
that a not think that all of a sudden Apple was gonna
somehow get IBM to produce the G4 from now on. OH HOW
SILLY OF ME.

ATI nVidia thing - my point was not that ATI no longer
exist on the Mac but Jobs had a 'problem' with them
and now they are on Apple machines second to nVidia.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Re: Re: Re: How's that proof???

Originally posted by Mr Jobs

when i said moto was out i was referring to the G5 as
in the G5 will not be from motorola, sorry i i didn't
mention that part i expected every one to understand
that a not think that all of a sudden Apple was gonna
somehow get IBM to produce the G4 from now on. OH HOW
SILLY OF ME.
If you want people to understand you, then say (in this case - write) what you mean. Hey, I hope that IBM's new chip is all that it's cracked up to be. It would help Apple greatly. But if Jobs was cooking this up with IBM 4 years ago, I would have expected something sooner.

Don't misunderstand me. I saw that Apple was leaning towards shifting the processor line-up as early as a year ago. My theory then was that IBM would develop the chips for the pro line and Moto would do the chips for the consumer and laptops.

ATI nVidia thing - my point was not that ATI no longer
exist on the Mac but Jobs had a 'problem' with them
and now they are on Apple machines second to nVidia.
Just to be argumentative, do you really think that nVidia is 1st to ATi's 2nd? I'd put them more on equal terms. ATi has the iBook and TiBook. nVidia has the iMac and eMac. They both share the PowerMac. Pretty equal in my book.

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
London, England
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How's that proof???

Just to be argumentative, do you really think that nVidia is 1st to ATi's 2nd? I'd put them more on equal terms. ATi has the iBook and TiBook. nVidia has the iMac and eMac. They both share the PowerMac. Pretty equal in my book.

untill a week ago it was nVidia in all of Apples desktop line-ups with some models having the option of BTO with ATI.

any on the laptop side the reason for ATI being there are technical, the nVidia Go series drain the laptop battery like a bitc...errrr. and even the the laptop market is small compared to the desktop market

that my friend is second best

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.