Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerBookNewton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I am now content with my PowerBook G4, I'm upgrading it to 1 GB of RAM in a couple of days and my WiFi is all set up...But I have dirt on my screen from the previous owners that transfered over time from the keyboard to the screen and I have no idea how to get it off, Water did not work at all, I am currently keeping a piece of paper in between the keyboard and screen when I close it but I'd really like the dirt off the screen, Has anyone had any luck removing it?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
are you sure its dirt and not the more common "pressure marks" of the keyboard , seen that quit often on ebay sold powerbooks where you can clearly make out the surroundings of the keys of the keyboard on the screen
looks like a faded copy of a keyboard done with transfer paper then you can make out the entire or parts of the keyboard on the screen
happens over time , if the owner does not clean its keyboard all the time and it can become permanent as its dust too and makes over time small tiny microscopic scratches on the screen and the best cleaner will only make it a bit better , sometimes motorcycle helmet visor polish can help a bit too
apple explains it here , its a common thing happening if owners dont care about cleaning their stuff from time to time after use

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24961

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.