PDA

View Full Version : iPad screen scratch protector thread...

Leafgreen
Aug 21, 2010, 10:49 PM
So I did a quick goog search and here on this forum and didn't find one thread that gets peeps substantial feedback on different screen protectors...NOT cases. I don't want extra bulk. I just want to know which you think is the best film to apply to the screen to protect from scratches.
Here's what I've found:
Casemate (http://www.dpbolvw.net/pk97cy63y5LNOVUTPPLNMTMTSTM?sid=macrumors&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.case-mate.com%2FApple-iPad-Cases%2FCase-Mate-iPad-Clear-Armor.asp%3Futm_medium%3Daffiliates%26utm_source%3D%25zp&cjsku=SSJACKSM-BLK) $35
Invisibleshield (http://www.jdoqocy.com/dl104wktqks79AHGFBB798FF8BGC?sid=macrumors) by Zagg $25
Stealthguards (http://stealthguards.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=238&sub_id=macrumors) $20
BodyGuardz (http://www.pjatr.com/t/RD9ESElLRz9GQkdKP0VGSEdK?sid=macrumors) $20

If you are using one, please tell us:
1. How resistant is it to showing finger smudges?
2. How clear is it?
3. Does it stay put, or does it peel up at the edges?
4. After you remove it, does it leave any residue?
5. How easy is it to install?
These are the five key features for a scratch protector film, I think.

talk soon,
Leafgreen

KameronBriggs
Aug 21, 2010, 11:15 PM
Try out bestskinsever.
Here's a link:
http://www.bestskinsever.com/ipad-skin
I installed it wrong on my iPhone, and I e-mailed them and they sent me another. They have awesome customer service, and I wouldn't hesitate from buying from them again.

Only downside is that you have to make your own install solution, which isn't that big of a deal....it's just soap and water. I don't know about the other brands... I've only tried BSE. And it worked great.

drenline
Aug 22, 2010, 03:08 AM
I think switcheasy has the best screen protector on the market, very clear, you literally can't tell anything is on there, it's easy to put on (peel both sides and then squeegee out the air bubbles one by one). You can either buy the nude cases which comes with 1 screen protector for $29.99 on their website or else separately (on ebay) for $15 + free shipping.

Leafgreen
Aug 22, 2010, 08:36 AM
Only downside is that you have to make your own install solution, which isn't that big of a deal....it's just soap and water. I don't know about the other brands... I've only tried BSE. And it worked great.

Hmm not psyched about needing an installation solution, much less needing to make it. But anyway, can you offer any input for the four questions I asked, please?

sracer
Aug 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
I think switcheasy has the best screen protector on the market, very clear, you literally can't tell anything is on there, it's easy to put on (peel both sides and then squeegee out the air bubbles one by one). You can either buy the nude cases which comes with 1 screen protector for $29.99 on their website or else separately (on ebay) for $15 + free shipping.
I wasn't impressed with the one the came with my SwitchEasy Nude. But I did find one at Radio Shack, Merkury: 2 for $20. Applying it was easy and it seems to be pretty good so far.

But I've found that all of the screen protectors add resistance. Touching the screen requires more effort to swipe a finger. This is particularly annoying when using the iPad for sketches and drawings. It seems that fingerprints are harder to remove from screen protectors.

Maybe it just takes a little getting used to.

mrgossett
Aug 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
I bought a pack of three clear protectors back in April from HandheldItems- relatively cheap. I still have the first one that I put on, and it's been great. Fits perfectly, crystal clear and adheres well along the edges. You really can't tell it's on. It does show fingerprints, but they wipe off pretty easy with a microfiber cloth. It actually makes my screen slicker and easier to use. You really don't have to spend a lot or buy name brands to get a decent screen protector.

ajax43
Aug 24, 2010, 03:03 PM
I have a Belkin clearscreen overlay and I just found out today how tough that thing is. My cat was on the desk and knocked my ipad off the charging dock and straight onto the heater unit on the floor by the baseboard. Right onto the sharp edge of the heater. Tore a huge gash in the middle of my ipad screen. I thought it messed up my screen permanently. I took off the protector and thankfully it was just the Belkin overlay that was torn. Not a scratch on the ipad screen (fortunately for the cat, lol). Without that extra layer, i think I would have a permanently scarred ipad. But now I gotta go spend $20.00 on another screen protector.

itzcoolz
Aug 25, 2010, 01:29 AM
So I did a quick goog search and here on this forum and didn't find one thread that gets peeps substantial feedback on different screen protectors...NOT cases. I don't want extra bulk. I just want to know which you think is the best film to apply to the screen to protect from scratches.
Here's what I've found:
Casemate (http://www.dpbolvw.net/pk97cy63y5LNOVUTPPLNMTMTSTM?sid=macrumors&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.case-mate.com%2FApple-iPad-Cases%2FCase-Mate-iPad-Clear-Armor.asp%3Futm_medium%3Daffiliates%26utm_source%3D%25zp&cjsku=SSJACKSM-BLK) $35
Invisibleshield (http://www.jdoqocy.com/dl104wktqks79AHGFBB798FF8BGC?sid=macrumors) by Zagg $25
Stealthguards (http://stealthguards.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=238&sub_id=macrumors) $20
BodyGuardz (http://www.pjatr.com/t/RD9ESElLRz9GQkdKP0VGSEdK?sid=macrumors) $20

If you are using one, please tell us:
1. How resistant is it to showing finger smudges?
2. How clear is it?
3. Does it stay put, or does it peel up at the edges?
4. After you remove it, does it leave any residue?
These are the four key features for a scratch protector film, I think.

talk soon,
Leafgreen

i am currently using a bodyguardz for my iPad (and i subsequently bought another for my iPhone). I have only used invisibleshield previously, and I feel the bodyguardz is much better.

1) Shows finger smudges, but also very easy to clean
2) Very clear. Significantly less orange peel effect than InvisibleShield. This is one of the things i was most impressed with
3) Stays put quite well. This was another vast improvement that I noticed over InvisibleShield. On my iphone 3g, the invisible shield would peel up and become very grimy at the edges. The Bodyguardz on my iPad and iPhone4 have been the same as they were initially.
4) Have not removed any of them yet, so I can't comment on the residues.

5) I would add a 5th question: How is installation? For the bodyguardz, especially for the iPad because the screen is so big, it takes a little focus with the spray and stuff. Make sure that it is not sticking out on any edges so that it won't catch on anything. Also, it's important to note that it will look really smudgy (As if there's residue underneath the screen) for about 2-4 days. I was really bothered by this when I first installed it that I actually reinstalled it about 3 times. After my 3rd time, I was so disappointed by the residue that I was about ready to take it off and return it. However, about 3 days later, it had cleared completely.

6) Also, one problem I've noticed with both bodygardz and invisibleshield, which i believe will affect most of the sticky, rubbery screen protectors (as opposed to the harder dry films that last less long) is that they ding somewhat easily to sharp edges. So, if you press really hard with your fingernail, it might leave a mark. For day to day use, nothing permanent occurs, but just make sure you don't intentionally try to push its limits with your fingernail or anything.

Leafgreen
Aug 25, 2010, 04:04 PM
i am currently using a bodyguardz for my iPad (and i subsequently bought another for my iPhone). I have only used invisibleshield previously, and I feel the bodyguardz is much better.

1) Shows finger smudges, but also very easy to clean
2) Very clear. Significantly less orange peel effect than InvisibleShield. This is one of the things i was most impressed with
3) Stays put quite well. This was another vast improvement that I noticed over InvisibleShield. On my iphone 3g, the invisible shield would peel up and become very grimy at the edges. The Bodyguardz on my iPad and iPhone4 have been the same as they were initially.
4) Have not removed any of them yet, so I can't comment on the residues.

5) I would add a 5th question: How is installation? For the bodyguardz, especially for the iPad because the screen is so big, it takes a little focus with the spray and stuff. Make sure that it is not sticking out on any edges so that it won't catch on anything. Also, it's important to note that it will look really smudgy (As if there's residue underneath the screen) for about 2-4 days. I was really bothered by this when I first installed it that I actually reinstalled it about 3 times. After my 3rd time, I was so disappointed by the residue that I was about ready to take it off and return it. However, about 3 days later, it had cleared completely.

6) Also, one problem I've noticed with both bodygardz and invisibleshield, which i believe will affect most of the sticky, rubbery screen protectors (as opposed to the harder dry films that last less long) is that they ding somewhat easily to sharp edges. So, if you press really hard with your fingernail, it might leave a mark. For day to day use, nothing permanent occurs, but just make sure you don't intentionally try to push its limits with your fingernail or anything.

Awesome feedback! I added the installation question :)

drenline
Aug 25, 2010, 04:31 PM
Does anyone have a screen protector that shows the least amount of fingerprints? I realized my switcheasy screen protector pure shows very many fingerprints. Maybe I should try their anti reflect version?

Leafgreen
Aug 25, 2010, 06:07 PM
Does anyone have a screen protector that shows the least amount of fingerprints? I realized my switcheasy screen protector pure shows very many fingerprints. Maybe I should try their anti reflect version?

I wish more people would have responded to the survey. But anyway, I went ahead and got the Stealthguards (http://stealthguards.com/idevaffiliate/idevaffiliate.php?id=238&sub_id=macrumors) one for $20 and I think the fingerprints are minimal.

Built
Aug 25, 2010, 06:13 PM
Power Support is the only way to go...at least for me. I have had one on my original iPhone (2G), my iPhone 3G, and two iPod Touches. As of yesterday, I have their Crystal Film on my iPhone 4 and my iPad.

Top-notch protection, and top-notch support from Power Support USA.

All protectors show fingerprints...Anti-glare protectors will by their nature show fewer fingerprints. I use the Crystal Film exclusively, and a quick wipe with a lint-free cloth brings it back to its fingerprint-free state, and I don't have to worry about fingerprints on the actual device...Certainly don't have to worry about scratches either.

sracer
Aug 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
Matte or anti-glare screen protectors will show fingerprints MORE than regular protectors. The SwitchEasy protector isn't any worse (or better) than other protectors with regard to showing and removing fingerprints.

Built
Aug 25, 2010, 07:30 PM
Matte or anti-glare screen protectors will show fingerprints MORE than regular protectors. The SwitchEasy protector isn't any worse (or better) than other protectors with regard to showing and removing fingerprints.

Interesting. I've only used Crystal films and assumed that the matte would show fewer fingerprints simply because it is a matte (ie. non-shiny) surface.

Good to know and just another reason for me to stick with crystal (I can deal with the glare).

sracer
Aug 25, 2010, 09:20 PM
Interesting. I've only used Crystal films and assumed that the matte would show fewer fingerprints simply because it is a matte (ie. non-shiny) surface.

Good to know and just another reason for me to stick with crystal (I can deal with the glare).

I too assumed that a matte protector would be better fingerprint-wise... But because the oil from fingerprints is shiny, the difference between the matte finish and shiny fingerprints is more pronounced.

Built
Aug 26, 2010, 05:51 PM
I too assumed that a matte protector would be better fingerprint-wise... But because the oil from fingerprints is shiny, the difference between the matte finish and shiny fingerprints is more pronounced.

That totally makes sense! I had never thought of it that way, but it definitely makes sense.

Tobster3
Aug 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Power Support is the only way to go...at least for me. I have had one on my original iPhone (2G), my iPhone 3G, and two iPod Touches. As of yesterday, I have their Crystal Film on my iPhone 4 and my iPad.

Top-notch protection, and top-notch support from Power Support USA.

All protectors show fingerprints...Anti-glare protectors will by their nature show fewer fingerprints. I use the Crystal Film exclusively, and a quick wipe with a lint-free cloth brings it back to its fingerprint-free state, and I don't have to worry about fingerprints on the actual device...Certainly don't have to worry about scratches either.

Agree Completely.

Easy to put on without any water or additional solutions etc. Great protection and reduces fingerprints considerably, although still requires the occasional polish with a Micro Fibre cloth.