Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Check this out...
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/21/switchers/index.html

A Salon.com writer switched from a PC to a Mac a while back and now she wants to switch again...back to a PC!!

What I find most interesting about this are her reasons for wanting to switch back. She can't figure out what the Apple key does?? Where is the control key?? External floppy drive problems??

All of these could probably be fixed by a glance through Mac OS Help.

Taft

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
That's just stupid ridgedness. Like seriously, get with the program, it's not hard, well, the fact is she ALREADY BOUGHT IT! So all that cash is in Apple's pocket, so it doesn't frieken matter like a tear in the rain because she's already paid! Although maybe she'll switch back, BACK to apple after she realizes the sad state of windows :D

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
What a ****ng idiot. She whines about how in school they took away the nice Mac with the Apple key, but now she doesn't know what it does? Give me a break. She misses the "nostalgia" of floppies and all the "reassuring" clicking noises? People like this should not own computers, I dobut if she's deserving of air . Damn.

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I usually don't criticize people for thinking the PC is better than the Mac (it's true in some ways), but man, this lady's a friggin' retard. Her "article" (I say that loosely since it's just an amalgamation of meaningless rants), really doesn't have any sustentative arguments--just something about "nostalgia" over and over again.

Stupid.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Originally posted by Shrek
I think this was all a conspiracy just made up to discredit the Mac. Besides, anyone can put whatever the heck they want on their freakin' website! Geeesh. :mad:

Salon is generally pretty pro Mac and anti-MS. Which is why this suprised me.

I suggest some people write a letter to the editor explaining why they think this is bogus. I mean, she credits having nightmares about her friends and collueges teasing her about her Mac as one of the reasons she regrets switching.

I think this woman has some insecurity issues driving her fear of Macs. If she wanted to fit in so badly, she should have stuck with the PC. :rolleyes:

Taft

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
This must be that Mac bashing 12 year old kids older sister.

Sometimes you have to wonder some if these people have any recognizable brain activity at all.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Maybe you could help my forefinger get through its withdrawal from the left-click option on Windows mice.

Uh... left click? Sounds like she doesn't deserve to be using ANY computer.

All that bitching and moaning is giving me a headache. :rolleyes:

Fine, so switch back to the PC side. I won't miss you one bit!

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I can see it now. She keeps poking icons on the screen wondering why the mac keeps freezing up :D

"gee, what's that flat smooth thing under the keyboard area of my ibook?":rolleyes:

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
i just find that whole "article" laughable and stupid. last time i checked, external drives of any kind went blazingly fast on macs...even little cheap floppy drives...the real question is...why is she even using them? i have a feeling she is one of those people with a fear of new technology...but the ibook is pretty new...maybe she just needs a little mental help :confused: :confused: :confused:

kungfu

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
heheh... she can't even find the control key... maybe she doesn't get that "ctrl" means "control". these are the kind of people that don't even deserve to use a mac, let them use their pc.

kungfu

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Talk about sublimation! This woman has obvious "issues" , but none of them have anything to do with computers, as her asinine whining and nonsensical "reasoning" makes all too clear. Apparently, she desperately wants to hold on to her lost youth (re: high school nostalgia) and a controlling daddy figure (missing the protective arms of Bill Gates). Truly bizarre, if you ask me.

Whenever I read stuff like this, I start to have my doubts about whether the internet is such a good idea after all, when it is all too often used as a public forum for people to flaunt their neuroses at the world.

If there's one thing I can't stand is that type of smarmy "observational humor", ala Dave Berry and so many others that the author is trying to emulate. It's neither insightful or funny. It's always struck me as a mask one wears, attempting (and failing) to cover up a great deal of hostility and delusions of grandeur ("I'm above it all ... better and smarter than all of this petty triviality I'm deigning to write about"). Not particularly witty, merely whiny.

Salon just keeps getting worse and worse. Writings like this are why I refuse to pay for Salon "premium" content. I don't care if she dislikes Mac - not that she gave any kind of sane argument for or against it, in any case. Did Salon do away with editors??? I really don't understand why they published this at all.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
Complain to the editor. The page has a link to email the editor at the bottom of the article.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
A friend of mine works in desktop IT support for a non-tech-oriented organization, and to hear him tell it that article is an excellent example of how personal computers (at a level so general that "PC or Mac" is an esoteric question) have totally failed in their mandate to make things easier for the nontechnical masses.

It doesn't matter whether the author of that article has a PC or a Mac or whatever... she just shouldn't be using computers, not because there's something wrong with the computer, but because there's something wrong with the user, in terms of her expectations and in her ability to proficiently use the most complex and versatile (and, by extension, the most unpredictable) tool mankind has ever created.

The problems she describes in that article, aside from the nonsensical shame she describes at her feeling that her coworkers will laugh at her, are very simple things of the sort that, whether it's a PC or a Mac, most tech-savvy people will shrug and say, "it's a computer -- they do that." We take it in stride and find a way to fix it or to work around it to make the computer do what we wanted.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by macktheknife
I usually don't criticize people for thinking the PC is better than the Mac (it's true in some ways), but man, this lady's a friggin' retard. Her "article" (I say that loosely since it's just an amalgamation of meaningless rants), really doesn't have any sustentative arguments--just something about "nostalgia" over and over again.

Stupid.

Well come on. Some of the switch advertisements are pretty vacuous as well. "Things were kinda all over the place" <womans waves hands>

The only one I trust is the LAN administrator because I've said the same things. :D

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
Originally posted by shadowfax0
Although maybe she'll switch back, BACK to apple after she realizes the sad state of windows :D

Windows current state isn't so sad. I use both platforms regularly and I prefer Macs, but XP is a pretty decent OS and their transition was a hell of a lot smoother.

Flame away, but please keep in mind that I am primarily a Mac guy, I have convinced dozens to make the switch, and aided in making their transition smooth. All I'm saying is Windows XP ain't half bad.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I agree. I keep hearing people talk about how all windows machines BSODs 3 times a day and stuff but truthfully, my win XP rig has crashed only about 4-5 times in the LAST YEAR. I don't claim that windows is better, since I haven't used OS X much and all I can compare windows to is Classic. I can, however, claim that Win XP is better than Classic in most areas and it isn't too much of a ram hog (any computer over 450Mhz with over 256megs of ram would run XP well).

Still, I prefer the mac because it just
feels different. My next computer will definately be another Apple portable.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Actually, you're partially right, and I agree with you. Compared to some stuff that has come to pass (Like WinME for instance) XP is a big improvement. And the sad truth is that it's state isn't quite as bad as Linux (Now hold you horses with the flaming! I'll explain, I promise!) Now what I mean by that is the fact that average Joe can't go and switch to Linux because he actaully has to know something before hand. I feel that there should really be an effort to get Linux to be easier for people. Persoally I like Linux, I use SuSe on a seperate partition all the time, but for your average person, it jsut isn't going to do, so I really hope people get with it and make Linux a ACTUAL viable option next to Windows on x86, I really hope they do, beccause it's such a nice OS to play with :)

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I tried installing Red Hat on my second hard drive on my pc and it wiped out my NT Boot Loader. I couldn't start up in XP or Linux after that. Talk about crappy... :)

dnte42

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Hmm, I wonder if this lady knows which end of the knife is the right one to hold... Assuming this is a true story, I don't think any of us want that woman to have any contact with Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.