Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Grrrr!!. I have a late 2009 unibody MacBook, and the rubber layer which is bonded to the aluminium bottom cover IS PEELING AWAY AT THE EDGE!!!!.

What kinda shoddy design is this, that a FIVE MONTH old, £800 computer is falling apart SO soon?. I'm gonna have Apple I tell you - has anyone else experienced this JUNK design, with this flaw?.

Apart from that, the design is great. What is it that makes people design these STUPID flaws into their products?.

Sorry for ranting, I am VERY disappointed!!

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008

darrennie

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2010
Just over the horizon
Whoa, maybe take a step back take a deep breath and relax. Justified you are to be pissed but...

First off this is not a very common problem from what little I know of. Apple is not infalible to certain problems , in fact you stated in your post that other Macs. had not had this issue. So why so quick to run? Why not take it in and see what "they" have to say. If I'm out of line, sorry.

Blondie :)

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Prescott, AZ
Whoa, maybe take a step back take a deep breath and relax. Justified you are to be pissed but...

First off this is not a very common problem from what little I know of. Apple is not infalible to certain problems , in fact you stated in your post that other Macs. had not had this issue. So why so quick to run? Why not take it in and see what "they" have to say. If I'm out of line, sorry.

I agree. Every design will have some sort of flaw with it. Your problem is in fact very uncommon and hardly ever happens. If you've already owned other machines from Apple that have performed up to your expectations, then why run so quick? Every company will have problems. And I will be the first to admit, Apple has been getting somewhat sloppy lately. But, they've had periods such as this in the past. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon :)

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I agree. Every design will have some sort of flaw with it. Your problem is in fact very uncommon and hardly ever happens. If you've already owned other machines from Apple that have performed up to your expectations, then why run so quick? Every company will have problems. And I will be the first to admit, Apple has been getting somewhat sloppy lately. But, they've had periods such as this in the past. Don't worry, it'll all be over soon :)

EVERY design has a flaw?. So, the common nail or screw?... a ballbearing?... a broom handle?...

LOL!!!

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
What kinda shoddy design is this, that a FIVE MONTH old, £800 computer is falling apart SO soon?. I'm gonna have Apple I tell you - has anyone else experienced this JUNK design, with this flaw?

Firstly, it's partly your fault for not considering the design of the notebook. When this first came out, my first thoughts were about how the bottom might flake, discolor and tear. You see the difference between my considerations and your own? It goes to show it is partially the users' responsibility. You wouldn't buy a car without a steering wheel, would you?

Also, perhaps Apple appreciates money more than whatever £ are...

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
What kinda shoddy design is this, that a FIVE MONTH old, £800 computer is falling apart SO soon?. I'm gonna have Apple I tell you - has anyone else experienced this JUNK design, with this flaw?

If it's 5 months old, then it's still under warranty. Just take it to the Genius Bar and they'll fix/replace it. Not that big of a deal.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Yep, mine is doing it and the poly carb hinges are cracking.

Apple won't even acknowledge the case problem. Morons:mad:

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Firstly, it's partly your fault for not considering the design of the notebook. When this first came out, my first thoughts were about how the bottom might flake, discolor and tear. You see the difference between my considerations and your own? It goes to show it is partially the users' responsibility. You wouldn't buy a car without a steering wheel, would you?

How is it party MY fault?. In what universe does that make sense?!.
So, if I shot you, would it be partly YOUR fault for not seeing it coming?... :D

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
EVERY design has a flaw?. So, the common nail or screw?... a ballbearing?... a broom handle?...

LOL!!!

Yup. I do construction work and you would be surprised how many screws are bent, or made too dull to actually screw in. Nail heads aren't big enough sometimes. Ball bearings... that one is too easy haha and broom handles.... well IDK ask a witch if they are perfect.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

Blame the victim much? I have news for you, your macbook is just as fallible as his is/was. Maybe it's not plastic that'll discolor, but aluminum that'll dent, but it can happen to you, too. When you pay £800 for a machine that, without OS X, would cost roughly 1/2 that, you expect perfection. Not getting perfection is a reason to complain. Belittling the OP for posting his complaint is really low, I hope you never have anything ever go wrong in your life otherwise you won't know how to react.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Hmm... That almost wiped the lul from my face. Not quite, though.

Listen, guy, buddy, if it's peeling and you're peeßed, it's still under warranty. Apple will very gladly replace the lid, and you'll have a chance to experience some apologetic groveling! Won't that be nice?

I'm just saying; I would have known better than to buy a notebook with such an apparent flaw. I knew the moment I picked one up that the rubber was going to be trouble. That's a tad more obvious than MacBook Air hinges or iMac displays because it's inherently flawed, like Snoop Dogg's Advizzanced English course.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I really don't see how the rubber can peel off. I've toke the back cover over and over. I use the mac on everything that's safe from falls and never saw anything bad with the rubber thingy.

I even use it on a blanket it gets hot but no peeling:p

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Blame the victim much? Belittling the OP for posting his complaint is really low, I hope you never have anything ever go wrong in your life otherwise you won't know how to react.

Only reason we're "belittling" him as you say is because the OP is acting like a toddler, ranting and bitching about a known defect that Apple will gladly fix under warranty. Why waste all this time ranting on a forum instead of actually going to the Apple Store, letting the Geniuses know of the problem, and getting it repaired/replaced? This is usually known as the smart, logical, adult thing to do.

Sorry if I sound a bit harsh but I absolutely hate it when people start whining over something can easily be remedied. I take the same issue with iPhone 4 users whining about "Antennagate". It's a well-known defect, your phone is refundable/resellable (sometimes for more than retail value), and Apple will give you a free case that remedies the problem if you decide to stay with your iPhone. But instead, they bitch and moan online about the problem without making the numerous choices available to fix the problem for themselves.

Don't like the MacBook? Sell it. Want to get it fixed? Take to Apple. It's still under warranty anyway. Like I said in my previous post, it's not that big of a deal. It's also not worth ranting about.

jmac1642

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
vancouver bc canada
macbook rubber bottom delaminating

6 months after buying the 13" macbook i noticed 2 blisters appear on the bottom. a week later the blisters had enlarged and the rubber bottom started to separate from the aluminum at one of the edges.

took it into the apple store, they ordered a replacement bottom, called me 2 days later to come in and have it replaced - took about 15 minutes.
no charge - no hassle - still under warranty.

both techs i spoke with had seen this before - one offered that it had been exposed to too much sunlight (this macbook has never seen a sunbeam and moves only between my desk and lap; treated very gently - it doesn't leave the house).

both techs said this was a function of 'not enough glue'.

disappointed that it failed after 6 months, but pleased that it was repaired quickly and cheerfully.

hoping that the new bottom is better than new and ready to be as durable and trusty as my 3 previous macs.

AaronSC101

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
You probably dont take good care of it :] Anything will break and peel etc. if you throw it around like a hackie sack..

JiveKooly

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Mine is peeling too! And this is the 2nd time! It peeled the first time about 8 months after i got it. I took it too the genius bar and they fixed it, and now its peeling again! Im really careful with it but it just starts peeling by itself.

I think its because the bottom gets hot and makes the rubber warp. what a dumb design! I think apple should recall them and give us all macbook pros.

Grrrr!!. I have a late 2009 unibody MacBook, and the rubber layer which is bonded to the aluminium bottom cover IS PEELING AWAY AT THE EDGE!!!!.

What kinda shoddy design is this, that a FIVE MONTH old, £800 computer is falling apart SO soon?. I'm gonna have Apple I tell you - has anyone else experienced this JUNK design, with this flaw?.

Apart from that, the design is great. What is it that makes people design these STUPID flaws into their products?.

Sorry for ranting, I am VERY disappointed!!

its more common than you think. its happened to me twice already :-(

I love how people say "apple will gladly replace it since its under warranty, so its no big deal". it IS a big deal when you only have one computer and they keep your computer for over a week! you have to wait for them to fix it and are unable to do the work you need to do...or have to find alternative less comfortable ways to do your work.

when you pay a thousand dollars for a laptop, you expect it to work, and last for a while! I know every product has flaws and falls apart eventually but it started falling apart before it was even a year old! Apple is getting lazy and starting to slack off, but not slacking off on their prices.

I bought a used iBook off craigslist, and it lasted longer used than my new macbook is lasting! its very disappointing and upsetting. now I have to take this in for a 2nd time and be without my computer again while I wait for them to fix it! they need to create new bottoms for them that dont peel and replace them for free! either that or let us trade in our macbooks for macbook pros and clone them for free.

this is *********!

and to the people blaming the O.P. and saying they didnt take good care of it, what a crock! Im sure anyone who pays that much for a laptop is going to take care of it! I take great care of mine and the same thing is happening to me! Ive never dropped it or done anything negligent to my laptop. Aside from the peeling bottom its in great condition!

You probably dont take good care of it :] Anything will break and peel etc. if you throw it around like a hackie sack..

Last edited by a moderator:

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Not buying anything Apple for a long time. Not that they are any worse than any other brand, but I have spent way too much money on over-priced products, and for what? Nothing.

The MacBook has been replaced by a much faster i3 PC with Windows 7. Hey, it works (fast!!) and runs Ubuntu no hassles at all. Post all the elitist responses you like to this, I care not - Apple are diluting their quality and aftercare more and more, and I'm stuffed if I am paying another X-amount wad of dough for a shiny Apple logo. No thanks.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
For the people who don't see the obvious, this is a problem that can easily occur outside the 1 year warranty, and apple charges more than a few pizza's for repair. This is rubbergate. No other laptop peals on the bottom, that's cause other manufacturers use screws to hold pieces together, not Elmer's glue.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Not buying anything Apple for a long time. Not that they are any worse than any other brand, but I have spent way too much money on over-priced products, and for what? Nothing.

The MacBook has been replaced by a much faster i3 PC with Windows 7. Hey, it works (fast!!) and runs Ubuntu no hassles at all. Post all the elitist responses you like to this, I care not - Apple are diluting their quality and aftercare more and more, and I'm stuffed if I am paying another X-amount wad of dough for a shiny Apple logo. No thanks.
Did you even get it repaired, for free, under warranty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.