Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiveoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Has anyone hard wired the apple composite cable to a cig lighter? I'm using the cable on the rear rca inputs for my radio and would like the phone to charge while its plugged in. I dont want to have anything plugged into my cig lighter and wanted to keep it out of sight.

Is there anyway to do this? I know the iphone charges at 5v and the lighter is probably 12v so im not sure if it will work.

Cynikal.Mindset

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Guelph ON, Canada
Has anyone hard wired the apple composite cable to a cig lighter? I'm using the cable on the rear rca inputs for my radio and would like the phone to charge while its plugged in. I dont want to have anything plugged into my cig lighter and wanted to keep it out of sight.

Is there anyway to do this? I know the iphone charges at 5v and the lighter is probably 12v so im not sure if it will work.

buy a cig lighter to usb adapter and hard wire that behind the dash and call it a day...$5-10 for the adapter, some wire, electical tape/solder/butt connectors and done

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
It will NOT work

12 volts will fry your iphone

Ive done what you did but ran it from directly from the battery so my phone could charge with my car completely off

But it sounds like you don't have experience to do this, so i take no responsibility for any damage caused by running live wires

Positive battery terminal ---> wire----> through firewall ---> 2 amp fuse ---> extra ciggarete lighter ---> 5V car charger in the extra cigarette lighter ----> apple usb cable plugged in

For the negative side of the cigarette lighter just ground the wire on any metal part of your frame

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.