PDA

View Full Version : Google Adds Gmail and Calendar Push Notifications to iPhone App

MacRumors
Aug 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/08/23/google-adds-gmail-and-calendar-push-notifications-to-iphone-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/08/23/134601-google_mobile_notifications_1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/08/23/134601-google_mobilenotifications_2.jpg

Google today announced (http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/08/google-mobile-app-for-iphone-gets-pushy.html) an update to its Google Mobile App (http://www.appshopper.com/reference/google-mobile-app) for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, bringing push notifications for Gmail and Google Calendar.Ever missed an appointment or important email because you were away from your desk? Now Google Mobile App can help with push notifications from your Google account to your iPhone -- an icon badge shows you've got new mail in Gmail, and Google Calendar event reminders appear right on your home screen.Also included in the update is as-you-type results for searches on flight info, weather, stock quotes and currency conversions.

The update appears to just be going live now, and may not yet be appearing for all users.

Article Link: Google Adds Gmail and Calendar Push Notifications to iPhone App (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/08/23/google-adds-gmail-and-calendar-push-notifications-to-iphone-app/)

justgeig
Aug 23, 2010, 12:51 PM
SWEET! Love this

Small White Car
Aug 23, 2010, 01:05 PM
Interesting. I'll stick with Boxcar for now, but this is a nice option for the future.

If all the Twitter apps add their own push notices than Boxcar might stop being needed altogether.

ssspinball
Aug 23, 2010, 01:09 PM
Gmail/GCal already use push when using the Exchange setup (http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740) with Gmail anyway. The above Gmail/Exchange setup also allows 2-way sync with Google Contacts. My calendar items have been 2-way synced with GCal for like a year and half now, and pop-ups work just like with the native iPhone calendar, because it IS the native iPhone calendar.

So how is this better or even necessary?

iOS lacks a good Android/WebOS notification system, so having that pop up for EACH new email would actually be a pretty terrible IMO.

Small White Car
Aug 23, 2010, 01:20 PM
iOS lacks a good Android/WebOS notification system, so having that pop up for EACH new email would actually be a pretty terrible IMO.

How is that terrible? I use boxcar, but the result is the same and I love it.

When I hear the e-mail sound I look at my screen and I know whether or not I want to pick up the phone, unlock it, launch mail, and wait for the message to load in the inbox.

Why would I want to do that every single time a message comes in? Most of the time they're not messages I care to look at right now. I have five "2 second glances" per hour. You'd suggest I turn them each into 20 second "mess with the phone" moments?

I'm not understanding how that's better.

Saladinos
Aug 23, 2010, 01:40 PM
How is this Gmail push different from the regular exchange-based Gmail push?

Similarly, why can't Google just sync the notification settings for calendar events and let the phone provide the notification locally?

longdogs
Aug 23, 2010, 01:46 PM
Has anyone got notifications working yet? I've got a Google Apps account and I'm not getting any notifications.

spillproof
Aug 23, 2010, 01:59 PM
Wake me up when the native mail.app can push Gmail :mad:

honeytoast
Aug 23, 2010, 02:05 PM

You can get push Gmail in the native app by setting up using the exchange option as mentioned above. Server is m.google.com with your Gmail credentials.

Dias
Aug 23, 2010, 02:08 PM
Cool, it doesn't work.

Tilpots
Aug 23, 2010, 02:11 PM

Wake up.

spotsphill
Aug 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
I also have not been able to get push notifications working. I've sent several tests. The badge updates, but no sound and/or alert. It's probably too early and they'll probably iron this out within a few minutes/hours, but I can't help but be anxious! I've been using a 3rd party push notification app for about a year now.

Anyone else get this working yet?

diesel
Aug 23, 2010, 02:28 PM
Stupid. Why use push notifications in a calendar app when you can use the built in calendar alerts in the iphone. I don't want to miss an appointment because i had crappy cell/data signal. Let's face it, it is AT&T after all.

jason2811
Aug 23, 2010, 02:30 PM
We need NATIVE GMail and GTalk apps! Just like they have on Blackberry.

But this will never happen due to Google's investment in Android.

spillproof
Aug 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
You can get push Gmail in the native app by setting up using the exchange option as mentioned above. Server is m.google.com with your Gmail credentials.

Hehehe nevermind :)

I thought Exchange was only for business networks.

kas23
Aug 23, 2010, 02:37 PM

But this will never happen due to Apple's investment in iPhone and their anti-Google stance.

Fixed that for you.

Why would Google waste their time making a killer App only to have it outright rejected (Google Voice) or neutered (Google Mobile App) by Apple's App Store disapproval process? It isn't Google not wanting to develop these apps, it's Apple not allowing them to.

arkmannj
Aug 23, 2010, 02:37 PM
this is cool. But what I'm really waiting for from Google on the iPhone, is a full blown Google Voice App.

Rodimus Prime
Aug 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
this is cool. But what I'm really waiting for from Google on the iPhone, is a full blown Google Voice App.

Sorry never going to happen. Steve Jobs says no and Apple is the one blocking it. Apple say no so not going to happen.

rwilliams
Aug 23, 2010, 02:51 PM

Which is something that many people do not consider to be native. There's a discussion going on over at TechCrunch about this very thing. The author of the article doesn't consider setting up an account via Exchange ActiveSync to be native, when MobileMe and Yahoo allow you to set up push accounts without going the ActiveSync route.

Compile 'em all
Aug 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
How is this Gmail push different from the regular exchange-based Gmail push?

This is PUSH NOTIFICATIONS. It has nothing to do with push email. Exchange based gmail push doesn't use push notifications when you receive an email.

Like some other poster said, push notifications for email is a terrible idea.

ssspinball
Aug 23, 2010, 02:57 PM
How is that terrible? I use boxcar, but the result is the same and I love it.

When I hear the e-mail sound I look at my screen and I know whether or not I want to pick up the phone, unlock it, launch mail, and wait for the message to load in the inbox.

Why would I want to do that every single time a message comes in? Most of the time they're not messages I care to look at right now. I have five "2 second glances" per hour. You'd suggest I turn them each into 20 second "mess with the phone" moments?

I'm not understanding how that's better.

The reason it's terrible is because as soon as a second notification comes in IT OVERRIDES THE FIRST ONE wiping out your usage example entirely. I received 2 new emails (heard the vibrate motor for each) over push gmail (using the Exchange setup written by Google) while writing this response less than 3 seconds apart. With your system I would have only seen the latest one, and that's not including other things using the APNS such as games, facebook, foursquare, etc, all adding to the noise. With the notification system currently in place, only the latest notification is visible without 20 second "mess with the phone" moments, as you put it. And then when you DO finally unlock the phone, you get the push notification pop-up barrage where X number of pop-up bubbles happen in a row, and that is awful to deal with a regular basis. YMMV.

I can sort of see your point, but the experience is currently terrible IMO. If the notifications stacked and rolled downwards or something you'd have a much better point.

kzoojason76
Aug 23, 2010, 02:57 PM
Push Notifications are coming through, but I'm not getting the pop-up. I'm only getting the badge on the Google App. When I go in, it displays the app page, and has a (1) next to GMail.

Hope they fix this. A pop-up on the lock screen or the home screen would be great.

arkmannj
Aug 23, 2010, 05:39 PM
Sorry never going to happen. Steve Jobs says no and Apple is the one blocking it. Apple say no so not going to happen.

I know, but I just had high hopes with iOS4 and with Skype working, that Google voice would be allowed also.

mizelly41
Aug 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
Push Notifications are coming through, but I'm not getting the pop-up. I'm only getting the badge on the Google App. When I go in, it displays the app page, and has a (1) next to GMail.

Hope they fix this. A pop-up on the lock screen or the home screen would be great.

The way I understand it, the pop-up notification only works for the calendar. The only notification you get for the mail is the badge icon.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

jplusc
Aug 23, 2010, 06:22 PM
The way I understand it, the pop-up notification only works for the calendar. The only notification you get for the mail is the badge icon.

Thats how I read it on the Google blog. Thanks for pointing this out.

skeep5
Aug 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Interesting. I'll stick with Boxcar for now

Dang another app i didn't know I needed

xcel360
Aug 23, 2010, 07:01 PM

Well thats just stupid. I'm sure, just like 99% of gmail/google calendar users I get way more emails and would rather have pop up notifications for emails over calendars. What is going on at google?

kzoojason76
Aug 23, 2010, 07:43 PM
I already get pop-up notification from my calendar. So I don't need the google app to do a pop-up. It would be far more useful to get pop-up notification for email. All I would need to see if the From and the Subject.

Oh well.. maybe they will expand upon this.

ipoddin
Aug 23, 2010, 07:59 PM
yeah, this is a pretty pointless addition. My calendar is synced with Google already. And without a pop up notification, who cares for email? I already use exchange.

Now, if they supported pop ups for Google Voice, it would be newsworthy.

macfan881
Aug 23, 2010, 11:21 PM
Interesting. I'll stick with Boxcar for now, but this is a nice option for the future.

If all the Twitter apps add their own push notices than Boxcar might stop being needed altogether.

If you want a great twitter app that has push try Simply Tweet its 2/3 bucks cant rember?? but it does Push/list's/trends landscape the other nice thing I love about it is it can cache your last read tweet so if you want it will load all the last read tweets from the last time you had the app open.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 24, 2010, 07:42 AM
Has the push Gmail/exchange method been working for people under iOS4? i was going to set it up when I got my new iPhone but read a lot of reports saying it was broken under the new OS...

Fireproof!
Aug 24, 2010, 08:41 AM
Has the push Gmail/exchange method been working for people under iOS4? i was going to set it up when I got my new iPhone but read a lot of reports saying it was broken under the new OS...

There were some glitches at first, but it's been working fine for quite a while now.

netslacker
Aug 24, 2010, 09:59 AM
The update only allows push notifications for ONE account. So if you have multiple GMail accounts then you're still out of luck. Lame.

abbstrack
Aug 24, 2010, 11:11 AM
dont see the point of this..i dont need yet another place to check my email

if yahoo can offer push email for the iphone's own mail.app, why cant google and apple work something out as well..that doesnt require an exchange server. I dont use exchange with yahoo and it works fine.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 24, 2010, 11:37 AM
There were some glitches at first, but it's been working fine for quite a while now.

Thanks! I'll def. set it up now

MSlaw
Aug 24, 2010, 11:46 AM
Don't get it. From what I see, the app does what's already available on the phone. Been syncing calanders (google and ical) for months now. Same with email.

DynaFXD
Aug 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
I did not read whole thread. But anyone having problems getting push or fetch to work should upgrade to the latest (4.02) iPhone update. I could not get it to work and there is some Apple support knowledge base article that says the carrier file may not have been correctly updated with iOS4. Once I added 4.02 (begrudgingly) everything worked fine. Though I am using Gmail push through Exchange, not the Google app.

douglaswilliams
Aug 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
If your iPhone calendar was already synched with your online Google Calendar, wouldn't your iPhone calendar give you reminders? Making this useless?

This is a serious question by the way, I really want to know the details.

nagromme
Aug 24, 2010, 03:08 PM

But this will never happen due to Google's investment in Android.

Meebo handles Google Talk well for me, and there are others. Itís just Jabber.

philstubbington
Aug 24, 2010, 04:22 PM
What's the point of push notifications for calendar events? My gmail account already synchronises with my iPhone and iPad, so I get the alert directly. Why do I want another alert for the same event?

Also, I get an audible alert for email already, so although I can see some use for push alerts here, it's hardly a major benefit.

Phil

waloshin
Aug 25, 2010, 02:05 AM
How nice of Google, so will Apple delete it?

earnjam
Aug 26, 2010, 08:45 AM
The reason it's terrible is because as soon as a second notification comes in IT OVERRIDES THE FIRST ONE wiping out your usage example entirely. I received 2 new emails (heard the vibrate motor for each) over push gmail (using the Exchange setup written by Google) while writing this response less than 3 seconds apart. With your system I would have only seen the latest one, and that's not including other things using the APNS such as games, facebook, foursquare, etc, all adding to the noise. With the notification system currently in place, only the latest notification is visible without 20 second "mess with the phone" moments, as you put it. And then when you DO finally unlock the phone, you get the push notification pop-up barrage where X number of pop-up bubbles happen in a row, and that is awful to deal with a regular basis. YMMV.

I can sort of see your point, but the experience is currently terrible IMO. If the notifications stacked and rolled downwards or something you'd have a much better point.

IMO, the best solution is to just jailbreak and install Lockinfo. You can see all emails, texts, vms, missed calls, notifications, etc in a list on the lockscreen. You have total control as to what shows and # of items in each section, etc.

No need to do a "20 second mess with the phone moment". Just glance at the lockscreen.

Unfortunately my preferred setup requires a jailbreak, so to each his own I guess.

smegma11
Aug 27, 2010, 04:10 PM
I've never seen you keep the same article go for three days in a row like this before. Is this a Google advertisement, you people on vacation, or is news just dead?

MBHockey
Aug 27, 2010, 10:16 PM
IMO, the best solution is to just jailbreak and install Lockinfo. You can see all emails, texts, vms, missed calls, notifications, etc in a list on the lockscreen. You have total control as to what shows and # of items in each section, etc.

No need to do a "20 second mess with the phone moment". Just glance at the lockscreen.

Unfortunately my preferred setup requires a jailbreak, so to each his own I guess.

I would agree if Lockinfo wasn't so unstable. I paid for it and had nothing but problems with it for the four months I used it. For me, it wasn't worth it. I hope iOS 5 brings a lockinfo type notification system though.

OnlyShawn
Aug 28, 2010, 06:59 AM
Earnjam is right--lockinfo for the major win. With the HTC-style clock/weather, it's golden. I'm not sure when you were having crash issues, MBH, but it's been working great for me for a while, very stable. Time to jb and dust off that license. :)

RussOniPhone
Aug 28, 2010, 05:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Has anyone got notifications working yet? I've got a Google Apps account and I'm not getting any notifications.

I turned it off, I use my iPhone all the time for an alarm clock, not 100%, but it works after I turned this off. Sometimes I think Google is trying to sabotage the iPhone, Google does things to apps and never finish the product, Google Voice never went anywhere, I realize Apple has a roll her too. I think GrandCentral would have gotten better if Google had not purchased them don't get me wrong I like Google but lately I think they are getting

Evil, the opposite what their company is suppose to stand for.

quickdollar
Aug 29, 2010, 08:18 AM
The notification does not cause the Iphone to vibrate or to make a sound. Recently the Google today announced an update to its Google Mobile App for the ipad and Iphone application.

Le Big Mac
Aug 30, 2010, 02:25 PM
What's the point of push notifications for calendar events? My gmail account already synchronises with my iPhone and iPad, so I get the alert directly. Why do I want another alert for the same event?

Phil

I have my account(s) set up this way and I get notifications of calendar entries.

The only problem I have is setting notifications, because they seem to be off by default.

SnifferUK
Sep 11, 2010, 03:15 AM
I'm a bit new to this and only just realised that you could set up gmail using Activesync/Exchange to give you push email.

I've previously had my gmail setup using IMAP and 15 minute polling - does the Activesync/Exchange way still give you the same functionality as IMAP?

tesilential
Sep 20, 2010, 03:00 AM
Hot Damn! I had been putting off setting up gmail as an exchange account, but now that I took the 1 minute to do it, I finally have push for my gmail account! Tested it and it works perfectly, I get a sound and a badge on the stock mail app.

Prior, I tried using the app mentioned in the OP, but it immediately showed 713 unread emails on the notification badge, and I did not feel like going through to mark them all as read.

chrisonly
Feb 14, 2011, 06:08 AM
This is good news for those online marketers or web professionals looking forward to manage their schedule :)

alara2
Feb 14, 2011, 02:54 PM
Well, I still have not received a notifications. Not sure what to do... should I wait another day? Are there any alternatives?