Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Ok, so here's the current hardware that I have and how it's hooked up.

80 GB firewire external HD with all of my MP3's stored on it, sitting ontop of my TV. When I want to listen to music, I have to plug my firewire drive into my PB and then either use a 1/8 inch to RCA cable and hook it all up to my TV (which acts as my stereo) or listen to it with the built in speakers on my PB.

The problem with this is, I use my PB exclusively from the couch, kitchen table, bedroom, etc. Basically, anywhere that I DON"T need a wire to hook it up (if I wanted it to be stable, I would have gotten . This leads to me never being able to listen to my music :( and worse yet, never updating my iPod. I hope to this point I have explained the situation that I'm in.

My ideal situation would be to have a second mac which works as a file server. Then I could wirelessly mount this drive on my PB, add all the files to my iTunes library and play them to my TV using an Airport Express. However, this is not going to happen, ever. My whole motto in my new place is to have as little **** as possible. I bet alot of other mac enthusiasts enjoy this same idea. However, I've seen lots of hardware (I remember a review from Gateway) that lets you wirelessly stream music from a disk drive to a computer.

What sort of options do I have here? I'd like to keep the bill for this project under 400 bucks, and the least amount of components as possible (if I have to dump the external drive, so be it. I DO need somewhere to store this 75+ GB's of music that I have, my PB does not have sufficient space for this, so that's not an option either). Can anybody help me?

Thanks,

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.