2.33Ghz Core 2 Duo
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz
200GB (100GB x 2) Serial ATA @ 7,200 RPM
Alienware® m5750 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD
8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software*
Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card*
Bluetooth™ USB Adapter*
FOR ONLY $3059

So Alienware has faster processer, 80GB more HHD, AMAZING resolution of 1920x1200 all for $40 less

The only problem is it runs Windows!

I hope the Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo has that good screen though, and 2 hard drives ready for time machine

Josias
Aug 28, 2006, 02:51 PM
Why would anyone make this comparison? It's like comparing a Pentium D Dual Core to an iBook G4.

The MBP is gonna be updated soon.

To your comments:
Screen res.: Hvae you got any idea how impossible it would be to see anything on that screen. Remember that Windows ain't res. independent.

Faster processor: WTF? Apple will anounce tomorrow or at Paris.

Extra HDD: The reason AW can make room for 2 HDD's, is because that PC is like 2" thick.:p

Sesshi
Aug 28, 2006, 02:52 PM
You forgot the graphics adapter difference, which is major. Portability is reduced but the Alienware system offers more power. Fact is, Dell /Alienware turns out higher-specced, better supported and more functional machines than Apple. But Apple stuff looks better, and of course with OS X works a lot nicer. Apple will never quite match the top-tier PC companies in terms of performance because their emphasis is a bit different but there's the elegance of operation to be appreciated. It's as they say in the UK; six of one, half a dozen of another. The buyer simply has to decide what his/her priorities are.

Makosuke
Aug 28, 2006, 02:59 PM
Yes, from a pure power standpoint, the AlienWare is a better deal. I'm not at all surprised, because they are simply not in the same class of laptop: The AlienWare is "Portable Power", while the MBP is "Thin Power". They're close, but not the same.

Main difference: The AW laptop is 2/3 inch thicker (1.6x, that is), .6" wider, 1.1" deeper, and weighs 1.2 lbs more. Not a huge difference, but given that a 17" laptop is already monstrous, it's significant, and it more than likely accounts for the cost difference. I can say personally that my 17" MBP is at the absolute limit of what I'd like to carry around; were it any bigger, I'd have opted for the 15" model, since I couldn't legitimately call it portable.

The comparison also would have been totally different *yesterday* before they announced the Core 2 model, and the MBP will, of course, be updated with it in the near future, at which point it'll probably be similar again.

And I agree that the higher rez screen isn't necessarily a plus; some people like it, and that's great for them. Me, the rez on my MPB 17" is already at the absolute limit of what I'd want for my eyes--any higher, and it would be uncomfortable to use. I would actually consider that an anti-feature, and given the choice would take the lower-rez screen. Were OSX resolution independant (here's hoping for Leopard!), I'd reconsider, of course.

[Edit: And incidentally, there are several other things you're not comparing; the AlienWare has room for a second hard drive and a beefier graphics chip plus a media reader, but it doesn't have a FW800 port, optical audio input (does it have optical audio out?), or a built-in camera/microphone. For that matter, you could knock $200 off the price of the MBP by just buying the extra gig of RAM separately, and the AlienWare doesn't come with anything really comparable to iLife.]

Basically they serve different markets, but you're getting more or less what you pay for.

Chone
Aug 28, 2006, 03:09 PM
Between those two I'd definitely pick MacBook Pro, simply, for OS X, doesn't matter the alienware is 150mhz faster, OS X makes up for it by being the better, faster system :) as far as resolution goes... well I don't think you need 1920x1200 on a 17" screen, the MacBook Pro is sleeker and features nice things like the iSight, magsafe, etc, all the little things not to mention the MacBook can run Windows XP.

Ideally I would wait a week or so until Apple unveils the Merom MacBooks, who knows, processor aside, they might be redesigned with a better screen or some other nicety.

My vote goes for macbook because it has more features and Apple is coming out with a new macbook soon.

Summary: Sure the Alienware has speed and more res but OSX makes up for it not to mention MacBook Pro can run Windows XP and its getting an update soon.

petite
Aug 28, 2006, 03:19 PM
I do not understand why I keep seeing people comparing an PC to Apple?!? Why compare the hardware? You buy the Apple computer if you want Mac and you buy the PC if you want Windows. It's as simple as that.

bobber205
Aug 28, 2006, 03:22 PM
All computers are portable. It's just some are easier to tote around than others. :D

tobefirst
Aug 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
I do not understand why I keep seeing people comparing an PC to Apple?!? Why compare the hardware? You buy the Apple computer if you want Mac and you buy the PC if you want Windows. It's as simple as that.
Quite simply because Apple is a hardware company that happens to make software.

And it's not as simple as that now that Macs can run Windows. The hardware will be compared now more than ever.

ZoomZoomZoom
Aug 28, 2006, 03:43 PM
To start off, there's no point in comparing. Alienware is most likely going to pack more power for the money. I don't shop from them, but I'm guessing they probably have coupons now and then, too, so in the end, Alienware probably wins by a larger margin.

But if you really did want to compare, the Apple puts up a good fight.

(1) You are comparing an Apple laptop from 8 months ago to an Alienware laptop updated yesterday.
(2) Apple puts all the components into a much smaller space. As the chassis gets thinner, it seems to get exponentially harder to squeeze more things in while distributing heat. There is litte doubt that if you gave Apple another 0.6'' in thickness (I'm not even going to count in that the Alienware is wider and heavier) the Apple would be able tp push its specs to match the Alienware's. And remember prices - you pay a premium for thin.

However, Apple loses in two big areas.

(1) 1920x1200 resolution is a big step up from 1680x1050. I'm not sure how comfortable that is to read, though. If it's readable, then the Alienware easily burns out the Apple with 30% more screen real estate.
(2) You didn't list the graphics card, but Alienware probably has a better graphics card than the MBP's x1600. They almost certainly have a x1600 if not better. And even if their card is the same, Alienware probably doesn't have to software underclock their GPU because they have more space to disperse heat.

dextertangocci
Aug 28, 2006, 03:49 PM
Of coarse you can fit all that in a 3" thick, fugly laptop:D

And as for that screen res, it will look SOOOO crap with windoze:rolleyes:

vv-tim
Aug 28, 2006, 04:13 PM
Screen res.: Hvae you got any idea how impossible it would be to see anything on that screen. Remember that Windows ain't res. independent.

Faster processor: WTF? Apple will anounce tomorrow or at Paris.

Extra HDD: The reason AW can make room for 2 HDD's, is because that PC is like 2" thick.:p

Quit with the ridiculous screen resolution whining. I can see 1920x1200 fine at 15.4". 17" is even easier. Just because you're blind doesn't mean everyone is. And guess what... Mac OS X isn't "resolution independant" either and never will be. You can already scale widgets / font sizes to be bigger in Windows if you want... Mac OS X isn't going to magically scale websites to be larger or images to be larger or WHATEVER. They're probably just going to ask app developers to use vector graphics in Leopard so that their navigation scales cleanly.

And there's not a 100% chance Apple will announce tomorrow or at Paris. Alienware is better today, nobody said they'd always have that edge.

Between those two I'd definitely pick MacBook Pro, simply, for OS X, doesn't matter the alienware is 150mhz faster, OS X makes up for it by being the better, faster system :)

Windows runs faster at pretty much everything I've tried... Mac OS X beachballs, pales in gaming performance, and network performance on wireless signals is poor.

Not saying I prefer Windows, but saying OS X is faster is a load of crap.

Why do you compare hardware? Uhhh... because you're buying the hardware.

You don't simply buy an Apple when you want Mac OS X anymore. It was before when Apples didn't run Windows. Things have changed now. Apple's actually gaining new converts instead of sliding backwards and relying on iPod sales.

One of the major reasons Apple is now a contender is because their hardware is no on-par with other computer manufacturers.

Something (even Apple) needs to understand now is that it's not Apple vs. PC. Apple is a "PC". They can fight Mac OS X versus Windows all they want, but that's their only distinction (and their aesthetic beauty, which is what won my heart).

petite
Aug 28, 2006, 04:31 PM
You will always find better bargain in PCs when comparing hardware. If that is all that matters you wouldn't even consider Apple. That is what I mean. Sure you can compare the hardware... but PC will win. You need some other motivation to buy the Apple... In comes Mac OS (which is the biggest motivation in my mind).

The aesthetic argument is also quite understandable. I think that is one more motivation to buy a computer from Apple. Good service is also a motivation.

So what I am saying is that you're not buying hardware. You're buying so much more than that.

suneohair
Aug 28, 2006, 04:33 PM
Calm down ladies. :D

If you want to buy an Alienware, go for it. Whats the point of this anyway?

Dont Hurt Me
Aug 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
Point is many still want the best hardware with the best software. Impossible!

vv-tim
Aug 28, 2006, 04:49 PM
Point is many still want the best hardware with the best software. Impossible!

...? why?

Dont Hurt Me
Aug 28, 2006, 04:55 PM
Thats a silly question , why wouldnt you want the fastest machine for your hard earned $$$

timmillwood
Aug 28, 2006, 04:59 PM
God! i was just saying alienware was faster for the money!

I have been mac OSX for 3 years and would never get anything else but i would like a portable Mac Pro, i need the speed and the portability!

I also do a lot with photos and graphics so would love the higher res, i have 1920x1200 on my 24" screen and i want more!!

milozauckerman
Aug 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
The AW laptop is 2/3 inch thicker (1.6x, that is)

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a 1.66-inch thick laptop is a horrifying ball and chain to carry around for eternity, but 1-inch laptop is like carrying a bag of golden feathers floating on pixie dust.

mdickson
Aug 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a 1.66-inch thick laptop is a horrifying ball and chain to carry around for eternity, but 1-inch laptop is like carrying a bag of golden feathers floating on pixie dust.

I just read this thread and don't remember anyone saying that.

vv-tim
Aug 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
Thats a silly question , why wouldnt you want the fastest machine for your hard earned $$$

I meant "why is it impossible?" :P

KingYaba
Aug 28, 2006, 05:05 PM
So you can buy a 3 inch thick monster, or you can buy a sexy mbp. Your call.

Sesshi
Aug 28, 2006, 05:26 PM

The funny thing is that on a transient level, the heavier (but not by much it has to be said) HP nx9420 feels lighter to me holding it in one hand because it's thicker than the MBP. The MBP weight feels more 'concentrated'.

decksnap
Aug 28, 2006, 05:29 PM
Quit with the ridiculous screen resolution whining. I can see 1920x1200 fine at 15.4". 17" is even easier. Just because you're blind doesn't mean everyone is.

I'm not blind. 1680x1050 on my 20" is pushing it as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way.

Dont Hurt Me
Aug 28, 2006, 05:36 PM
I meant "why is it impossible?" :PBecause Apple has slim pickings for the consumer who is looking for the fastest machine while at the same time has the best software and blows away windows thats why its impossible....at the moment.

twoodcc
Aug 28, 2006, 05:42 PM
this is not a good comparision. the macbook pro is better (with merom)

being a former owner of an alienware laptop owner, i can confirm that the alienware would sound like a jet waiting to fly out the window! and if you thought apple's laptops get hot....ha, you got another thing coming with alienware

amin
Aug 28, 2006, 05:52 PM
Macbook Pro
So Alienware has faster processer, 80GB more HHD, AMAZING resolution of 1920x1200 all for $40 less

The only problem is it runs Windows!

I hope the Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo has that good screen though, and 2 hard drives ready for time machine

The Alienware machine is 66% thicker, weighs significantly more, and is much uglier. It also isn't ready to ship, so you can't assume Apple won't have a MBP with the same processor by the time the Alienware ships. The very high resolution is, as others have pointed out, not necessarily an advantage.

Mr. Mister
Aug 28, 2006, 05:55 PM
Because if you ever were forced by that creepy guy from Saw to eat your laptop or get brutally killed, you'd have to stomach less silicon, metal, and plastic with a Macbook Pro than an Alienware.

Chone
Aug 28, 2006, 08:08 PM
And there's not a 100% chance Apple will announce tomorrow or at Paris. Alienware is better today, nobody said they'd always have that edge.

Windows runs faster at pretty much everything I've tried... Mac OS X beachballs, pales in gaming performance, and network performance on wireless signals is poor.

Not saying I prefer Windows, but saying OS X is faster is a load of crap.

Why do you compare hardware? Uhhh... because you're buying the hardware.

You don't simply buy an Apple when you want Mac OS X anymore. It was before when Apples didn't run Windows. Things have changed now. Apple's actually gaining new converts instead of sliding backwards and relying on iPod sales.

One of the major reasons Apple is now a contender is because their hardware is no on-par with other computer manufacturers.

Something (even Apple) needs to understand now is that it's not Apple vs. PC. Apple is a "PC". They can fight Mac OS X versus Windows all they want, but that's their only distinction (and their aesthetic beauty, which is what won my heart).

I agree with you on the last point, a "Mac" is nothing more than a PC that can run OS X, on the PowerPC days the hardware was inferior, today its equal and at a good price, so as I see it, Apple can now be compared as a prebuilt manufacturer in the lines of Dell, Alienware, etc... and as far as they go, Apple is the only prebuilt I like, now if we could only build our own Macs :p

Maybe you were trying Windows on faster hardware? I'm very open minded and I like Windows and I just laugh when people say it crashes, it virus prone, etc, etc, etc, I even went as far as opening 50 or so apps in Windows to prove people not only Macs can do that but I'm also very realistic and from my personal experience games run TONS faster on Windows XP, no argument there but some applications like Photoshop ran a little faster on Mac OS X and well my main point was to say that even though the Alienware might do a Photoshop filter a second faster, stuff like expose will make working on Mac OS X more pleasant, yeah I know expose sounds like a small thing but when you have to work on 30 simultaneous pictures on photoshop you'll think differently.

Makosuke
Aug 28, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how a 1.66-inch thick laptop is a horrifying ball and chain to carry around for eternity, but 1-inch laptop is like carrying a bag of golden feathers floating on pixie dust.Actually, I said that the 17" MBP weighs a ton and is absolutely huge. It's at the absolute limit of what I call "portable", personally. If you added half again to the thickness, an inch in both horizontal directions, and over a pound to the weight, it crosses the line for me. As in me personally--there are plenty of people, I'm sure, for whom that line is above where the AlienWare sits. There are, likewise, plenty of people for whom that line is WAY below the 17" MBP's size.

The point is, you pay for compact in laptops--ALWAYS. That particular AlienWare is simply not in the same class of laptop as the MBP. I'm not saying it's better or worse, but it's not an A to A comparison. You are, basically, getting what you pay for in both cases.

Now, there's PLENTY of room to argue that Apple should make a fatter, cheaper laptop (like low-end Dells) or a fatter, faster one (like that AlienWare) but they don't. They likewise don't make any ultrathin/ultralight laptops yet, so there's no comparison on that front, either.

With laptops, you really do need to take the form factor into account rather than just stats. I mean, if you're not taking the size into account, then you could complain that that particular AlienWare gets its butt kicked by the MJ-12 m7700a with the option of an Opeteron or Athlon FX processor, dual hard drives, a 512MB Quadro graphics card, and a mess of features. It's also over 2" thick, weighs 12 pounds, has a 1.5 hour battery life, and has a 2-pound wall brick. The difference, I'd hope, is obvious.

vv-tim
Aug 28, 2006, 11:10 PM
Maybe you were trying Windows on faster hardware? I'm very open minded and I like Windows and I just laugh when people say it crashes, it virus prone, etc, etc, etc, I even went as far as opening 50 or so apps in Windows to prove people not only Macs can do that but I'm also very realistic and from my personal experience games run TONS faster on Windows XP, no argument there but some applications like Photoshop ran a little faster on Mac OS X and well my main point was to say that even though the Alienware might do a Photoshop filter a second faster, stuff like expose will make working on Mac OS X more pleasant, yeah I know expose sounds like a small thing but when you have to work on 30 simultaneous pictures on photoshop you'll think differently.

Nope, I was running Windows in dual boot w/ Mac OS X on this MacBook Pro. Windows is more response, never stalled(no ridiculous beachballs for 30+ seconds), and ran most programs more fluidly without any lag (Firefox, World of Warcraft, it's own Explorer, etc).

Photoshop obviously isn't a fair comparison as it's not a Universal Binary (so Windows on a MacBook Pro obviously runs it far faster).

I do really like expose... but you never know, Vista might copy it.

mavherzog
Nov 16, 2006, 03:34 AM
I'm not blind. 1680x1050 on my 20" is pushing it as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way.
I am a MacBook (and former 12" iBook) owner. I love the portability...but would throw it all out for a 1920x1200 rez Apple laptop.

Ever since I owned a 15.4" laptop with that rez (1920x1200), it has been the gold standard for me. Didn't stop me from switching...but I am DEFINITELY hoping to see higher rez Apple laptops at some point.

topocalypse
May 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
if you ask your question in a mac forum, u're gonna get people to praise Mac for sure.

Me personally have MBP and My Gaming PC which i build myself.

I would rather MBP, which i did. The single most important aspect that made me choose MBP over Alienware is OS X =D

ZombieZakk
May 3, 2011, 10:27 AM
if you ask your question in a mac forum, u're gonna get people to praise Mac for sure.

Me personally have MBP and My Gaming PC which i build myself.

I would rather MBP, which i did. The single most important aspect that made me choose MBP over Alienware is OS X =D

why would you resurrect a 5 year old thread?

conchshell
May 3, 2011, 10:30 AM
nevermind i didn't realize this was a 5 year old thread

Hydrocity
May 3, 2011, 06:45 PM
haha i read the MBP specs w/ C2D and DDR2 for 3grand and I was like :eek:

and then i realized....

whitedragon101
May 2, 2012, 06:44 AM
Whoops didn't realise this was an old thread. Have deleted my post and replaced with this text.

dervmonkey
May 2, 2012, 07:44 AM
Sorry for keeping this thread bumped, but it's interesting to see the difference in price these 2 machines now command, almost 6 years on.

Pentad
May 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
Skimming these posts, I think the arguments miss the most important issue:

Alienware Horror Stories.

If you Google it you see results here (http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&output=html#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=Alienware+Horror+Story&oq=Alienware+Horror+Story&aq=f&aqi=g-v1&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3..0i15.4513.6327.2.6984.4.4.0.0.0.2.558.1334.0j1j1j0j1j1.4.0.cpsugrst.1.0.0.eNz4nqpFudI&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a9c9eb23d1f4dcb8&biw=1431&bih=863).

Look, I know that a manufacturer can't please everyone and there are going to be people that complain, but in my lifetime in IT I have never seen a more consistent stream of complaints against a notebook manufacturer.

I have had nothing but great success with Apple's support. I have also dealt with HP and Dell (I know they own Alienware) with varying degrees of success.

However, Alienware continues to have a terrible reputation. If you look else where besides Google - like ratings sites- you will see they continue to score low.

Finally, I'm sure that there are those out there who will claim that their second cousin on their mother's side of the family has an Alienware and it has worked great for years. I'm sure it has and they problem even saw bigfoot hanging out with Elvis.

In the end, given my work and my need to depend on my equipment, why would you take the chance? I'm fascinated by the amount of people who I think truly read these 'horror stories' and still order from Alienware thinking "Well, that won't happen to me!"

Longevity, Service, and Support are very important to me.

Just my thoughts...

-P

dervmonkey
May 2, 2012, 10:15 AM
I agree, I've been an Apple convert since the iPhone 3 came out, I wouldn't buy another Dell/HP/etc new, although I do have Windows machines in the fleet.

Apple service has been second to none in my experience, I've only had to use the support service once on a new iMac with a screen issue - which they replaced the whole machine without hassle.

Worth every penny, IMHO

Medic278
May 2, 2012, 10:18 AM
This is a tough call as others have said the MBP is going to be outdated soon. I have never been a huge fan of alienware machines as I have heard they have a pretty high failure rate. However if you were to get a MBP and then add say 8GB of RAM and like a 120/128GB Intel or similar SSD then you'll probably be good to go. I think thats your best bet is going MBP with a RAM and SSD combo.

mikeo007
May 2, 2012, 11:48 AM
Dear God! Let this zombie thread die! This is why you always check the date before replying to a 6 year old message.

Epic Xbox Revie
May 2, 2012, 01:00 PM
This is a tough call as others have said the MBP is going to be outdated soon. I have never been a huge fan of alienware machines as I have heard they have a pretty high failure rate. However if you were to get a MBP and then add say 8GB of RAM and like a 120/128GB Intel or similar SSD then you'll probably be good to go. I think thats your best bet is going MBP with a RAM and SSD combo.

BOTH MACHINES ARE GARBAGE!!! They are both 6 years old!!! Stop posting.

Medic278
May 2, 2012, 01:52 PM

Get off your high horse I saw several different replies to it and thought that it may once again have been relevant again so please get off your high horse if you don't have anything to add DONT POST.

Aldaris
May 2, 2012, 01:56 PM
no comment

dervmonkey
May 2, 2012, 02:11 PM

Wow, someone needs a nap.

Bubba Satori
May 2, 2012, 02:24 PM
Alienware Horror Stories.

Just my Applesauce...

-P

The horror. The horror. The horror.

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/apple_magsafe_fire.jpg

http://www.marccizravi.com/uploads/2010/02/CrackBook_close_up.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1f7G83iP9ltF7zxZDvoQEoupdINpm7lAi1ZCBeyetypSqvehw6BkIsQu1

Epic Xbox Revie
May 2, 2012, 05:31 PM
Wow, someone needs a nap.

I did need a nap. And I took one. Thanks.