Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Ok, I know I will get flack for this...but...for me the mini 4 can do the same things for me as the ipad pro. First, I am not an artist, so I dont think the pencil would get much good use from me. I purchased the logitech k380 keyboard for $30 on sale, and it works wonderfully with the mini 4 (and my air 1). All of the keyboard shortcuts are there. I can multitask on it, albeit on a smaller scale. And the best part about the mini....you can travel with it and you hardly know its there. Seriously, its that light. I take it everywhere with me in a bag. I dont have to think about it, it just goes. For times that I would need a bigger screen, I have the original air, which stays home (wifi only). Anyway just my thoughts today, im sure I will change my mind in the future lol.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

goomba478

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
To each his own :). We had a mini 2 for a while and it's fantastic. That said the mini 4 is infinitely more capable, but the Pro is what I dream about for the artistic posibilities. Don't need the pencil? Then get a mini 4 ^_^.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'm a proud owner of a Mini 4 myself, but it seems to me like you're just stating the obvious. If you're not interested in Pencil support, the Mini 4 can indeed do most of the same things as the Pro, in a much more portable form factor.

Reactions: Appl3FTW

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Yes, sir. You are absolutely correct. Hopefully, you could to go bed feeling a bit better tonight about your mini 4 :)

Reactions: ZBoater

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have the mini 4 and air 2 and it's a perfect combo for me

At work typing on my mini 4 as we speak. Pro I think is great for a lot. Each their own

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Seriously though....I own a Macbook Pro (non retina 2012) and the Mini blows away the speed of the Macbook. I am really starting to use my mini for more and more everyday "computer" tasks. The only reason that I need the Mac is to store photos, music etc. But with Apple music everything is in the cloud, so its really down to storing my photos. I think its this type of problem that will really prevent the iPad from becoming a true PC/Mac replacement. People want to have local storage of photos etc and the local storage isnt enough yet on any ipad.

To even debate this shows how we really have come so far in such little time....I am 43 years old and just 15 years ago, the idea of a tablet was ridiculous, we had monster CRT monitors on our desks, connected to computers that had little power compared to todays devices....

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneJack

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think I'm gonna go with a Mini 4/Pro combo. Sell my Air 2 to help finance the madness. Carry my Mini around, use the Pro at home and at work. We'll see how it works out.

Reactions: gorkt

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I think I'm gonna go with a Mini 4/Pro combo. Sell my Air 2 to help finance the madness. Carry my Mini around, use the Pro at home and at work. We'll see how it works out.
This is what I'm doing now... But I'm in a very mobile job now and rock an MBP ret, and the mini4. Now it'll be the MBP and either the iPP or iPad mini4 depending on my needs for the day... On especially light days, I may just go and do the iPad pro only.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah I think that would be a good combo. got the best of both worlds. think the pro is too big for me but i think it would work well for most

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

That's what I am doing, but the Pro comes to work with me everyday.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Too bad my employer only lets us get corporate email on one phone and one tablet. I'd like to keep both the iPad mini and the iPad Pro. They are two vastly different devices. The mini is superportable. The Pro is bigger (area-wise) than my notebook computers. I can balance the mini in one hand easily. But I'm very interested in the Pencil for note taking.

If the Air 3 gets Pencil support, I can see myself getting that next year.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
We really are starting to live in a world where your device is just a screen into cloud based content and a processor to push that content around. What size screen and what power processor works best for you depends on what you're doing and where you're going. Some times my iPhone is all I need, some times I want my Pro or MBP. The Watch covers all the rest! ;)

Reactions: StoneJack

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I also want to rock the Mini 4 vs iPad Pro combo. I visualize using the iPad Pro at home on my lap most of the time while being able to hook it to a wireless keyboard for when I need to do some work on it. My mini 4 stays in my bag and is used more for reading, emails and light web surfing on the go. I just need to figure out how to pay for it.....

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
My combo is a Mini 4 and an Air 1. I use the M4 always but love my Air 1 as well. I am buying an Air 2 for my wife as she only has one iPad and all day use on an Air 1 is no longer acceptable.
iPads to me are about portability. I respect the artists needs for the Pro. I have played with a Pro in the Apple Store and feel it is too big for what I do.
We all buy these fantastic Apple products to satisfy OUR needs.

Reactions: Lancetx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.