Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
Is AT&T throttling/preventing App store downloads?

I have three different iOS devices. Two are running iOS 9.0.1 and one is running iOS 8.4.1. When they are connected to wifi, apps download fine. When on LTE, the app just sits there and the progress bar does not move, even after a very long period of time. When I run a speed test over LTE, I'm getting a solid 10-15Mbps down (3-4 bars). Also, i have a VPN configured on one of the iOS 9.0.1 devices and when I enable the VPN over LTE, apps download fine. One of the devices also uses a different iTunes account. I supposed it could be a regional problem. I'm in Indianapolis Indiana, USA. I've tried toggling the Download over Cellular option off and on and I've reset the network settings on one device and even did a factory reset on another, with no success. It's strange that a freshly restored iPhone 6 with iOS9.0.1 can not download apps over AT&T LTE, but bandwidth tests (and everything else) seems fine. Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: sml2612

iRebound

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm experiencing the same thing with the App Store and Apple Music. I can't test on wifi right now since I am at work.

iPhone 6s on iOS 9.1 public beta 2.
Chicago, IL

Last edited:

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I thought I was the only having this issue! Downloading an app from the app store on LTE is horrible, takes me 30+ minutes to download a damn 15mb app! Did a speed test and got 30mbps down and 9mbps up in the area I was in at the time.

I wonder wtf is going on with AT&T's network...... They need to get their **** together.

Reactions: protobiont

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I'm experiencing the same thing with the App Store and Apple Music. I can't test on wifi right now since I am at work.

I am experiencing the exact same issues and am also on ATT. Good to know I'm not alone. I'm on 9.1 public beta 2. What OS are you all running.

Just to add some more data, it seems to be icloud related. I can download from google drive, dropbox, surf the web, and listen to amazon music just fine.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I'm on a 6s, and I don't recall the issue before the new phone, but not entirely sure. What phones and OS versions are you all on?

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I am experiencing the exact same issues and am also on ATT. Good to know I'm not alone. I'm on 9.1 public beta 2. What OS are you all running.

Just to add some more data, it seems to be icloud related. I can download from google drive, dropbox, surf the web, and listen to amazon music just fine.

6S Plus running iOS 9.0.1 - I don't think it's iOS related but I'd like to see if other users from other carriers are having issues?

tok

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
6S Plus running iOS 9.0.1 - I don't think it's iOS related but I'd like to see if other users from other carriers are having issues?

No issues with Tmobile, downloads are pretty fast as usual... Using 6S+ on 9.0.1

Reactions: TL24

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I'm having the issue on:
  • iPad Air ATT LTE (iOS 9.0.1)
  • iPhone 6 ATT LTE (iOS 9.0.1)
  • iPad 2 ATT LTE (iOS 8.4.1)

Aelton

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010

I am having the exact same problem with Apple Music. I'm on a new 6s Plus, but was having the same issue on my iPhone 6 for the last week or 2. I'm on iOS 9.0.1.

It is literally unusable on LTE currently.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I am having the exact same problem with Apple Music. I'm on a new 6s Plus, but was having the same issue on my iPhone 6 for the last week or 2. I'm on iOS 9.0.1.

It is literally unusable on LTE currently.

I sent a tweet to @ATTCares but they have yet to respond - typical of AT&T.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I subscribed to boxpn.com vpn service for $35US/year, a few weeks ago for something else. If I have the VPN enabled, everything works perfectly. I'm just going to leave it up.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I subscribed to boxpn.com vpn service for $35US/year, a few weeks ago for something else. If I have the VPN enabled, everything works perfectly. I'm just going to leave it up.
I sent a tweet to @ATTCares but they have yet to respond - typical of AT&T.

I saw another tweet (maybe yours), and the response was a lame link to a generic trouble shooting page (which doesn't even have the S model phones on it)

Edit: I got a response to my tweet, asking me to DM contact info so they could look into it. I'll keep updating if I get a worthwhile response.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
How do we get this to the macrumors front page? Its obviously a real issue, affecting multiple people (can't be just the 6-7 of us who have responded to this thread).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
They are probably not legitimately throttling.

Content Distribution Networks like the ones that serve apps generally have servers at the ISPs people use so that the traffic doesn't have to travel large distances across the Internet. There's a good be that the CDN servers for Apple at AT&T are down or having difficulties.

Do not attribute to malice what can be explained by bugs. :)

Reactions: uhaas

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
They are probably not legitimately throttling.

Content Distribution Networks like the ones that serve apps generally have servers at the ISPs people use so that the traffic doesn't have to travel large distances across the Internet. There's a good be that the CDN servers for Apple at AT&T are down or having difficulties.

Do not attribute to malice what can be explained by bugs. :)

Probably not. But his provocative title got a lot more responses than the others with the same issue that had more mundane titles.

Also, it is an issue that we do want to find a solution for.

iRebound

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Chicago, IL
Got this from Twitter "Hi Scotty, We value the security of your account. Due to the nature of this request, please call 8003310500 / 611 for help. I apologize for any inconvenience. ^Auronil"

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Presently experiencing the same download issues. Very, very slow....LTE connection and 3 dots. Just trying to update 4 App's, all less than 50mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.