Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
This may be a really dumb question, but it's been a long time since I've worked on older PowerMac models, but...

Do you need to use a special Apple display, keyboard, or mouse with a PowerMac G3? I remember some older models requiring you to use the proper Apple hardware, such as an Apple display with the unit.

The reason I'm asking is because I've been thrift-store hopping and found a G3 for sale, but didn't have the chance to actually look at the unit.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
A Blue and White? No. Any VGA display and USB keyboard and mouse will work.

Beige? You'll probably need a display adapter and you might need an ADB keyboard and mouse. Depends on how its configured.

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
I just bought one from a thrift store for $10. It didn't include the hard drive, RAM, or a video card. I was able to pick up 512mb SDRAM, 40GB HD, and used one of my old PCI ATI cards. I have a 7500 Radeon PCI, and a ATI Rage 128.
Would either of these work with a Blue/White G3?

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
When I put either card in the box, the computer doesn't show any display.
Lights come on, but that's about it. Do I need to use a specifically stated Mac GPU?

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
New problem time :3

I have a 40gb hard drive in the G3. When I put in my OS 9.2.2 CD, and hold down the "C" key, I get the floppy-disk with a flashing question mark.

I tried formatting the hard drive on my MacMini, under the MacOS Extended (journaled) format, along with the Apple Partition Map.

Still no luck. I've checked the cables, and tried various drives, and still no luck.

Any ideas?

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Just noticed that the PRAM battery is missing. Odd that the system even starts up o,o

Could that prevent it from reaching the hard drive?

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
Just noticed that the PRAM battery is missing. Odd that the system even starts up o,o

Could that prevent it from reaching the hard drive?

I think certain models can boot up without a pram battery. If it does it'll just tell you your in 1969 :D go and buy a nice Camaro while you are there!

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Will do XD

Any ideas on it not finding the hard-drive though? I've confirmed the IDE controller is Rev.1

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Have you tried to format the drive on another computer. I don't know what format os 9 used though.

I tried formatting it on my MacMini, and still no luck.
I think it may have something to do with the faulty IDE controller in the early G3 Blue and White models.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
I tried formatting it on my MacMini, and still no luck.
I think it may have something to do with the faulty IDE controller in the early G3 Blue and White models.

You could try to get a cheap bootable PCI ATA/IDE card from Amazon or somwhere and see if that works for you. That would at least let you know if the ATA bus is working or not.

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
I actually have one of those laying around, that I might finally get to try.
I'll give it a shot and see if it works :3

silentwulf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
No progress with the RAID card I found.

I was able to pick up a G4 though, but am facing the same issues.
I'm still getting that floopy disk with the flashing question mark. I've tried several drives, formatting them to HFS and HFS+. I still can't manage to get Mac OS 9 installed :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.