Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Hello fellow MR people. I sold an as is Canon G9 on eBay, last week, and the buyer said he hasn't received it. So a complaint was filed on PayPal. I shipped via USPS priority through a UPS store. I called today and there's no tracking or confirmation for it, which is my fault. I've been selling stuff online and through eBay for almost a decade and have never had a problem.

I guess what i"m asking is there anything else I could do to resolve this?

I'm not trying accuse the buyer of anything but he has been quite pushy about the subject. 3 days after the auction ended he was asking about his item, even though I gave him all the details and when it was shipped the day after. Then he filed the complaint through PayPal the day after, not even after 3 business days, which is usually how long Priority is and didn't contact me about the subject. I've been keeping open communication with him, but it seems like he doesn't want to talk to me about this. So now it's escalated to a claim.

I really can't think of anything I can do. Suggestions? I guess I'm out 122 bucks.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
If you don't have a tracking number for it, you're pretty much screwed. PayPal will want a tracking number as proof you sent it out. If you don't have it, they assume you never shipped it and he gets his money back.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
sounds like he is trying to rip you off. 2nd he say it was not trackable he was going to steal the item. Sadly Pay Pal and Ebay are not willing to do anything about it. They let repeat abuses do it over and over again and do nothing to crack down on them.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Unfortunately eBay sides with the buyer usually. Not sure about PayPal. Sounds to me like he is wanting to just take you to the cleaners (well $122 worth of clean) because I know I want communicate with the seller to solve the issue.

I sold an item not too long ago here in the Marketplace and it took about 2 days longer than it was supposed to for the item to be reached. The buyer and I communicated and both contacted USPS and eventually got it resolved. We worked together though.

If he doesn't want to work together I would be very suspicious.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you don't have a tracking number for it, you're pretty much screwed. PayPal will want a tracking number as proof you sent it out. If you don't have it, they assume you never shipped it and he gets his money back.

Sadly, OP, I think yg17 is correct and you are out of luck. Lesson to be learned is to always have your items that you sell tracked by the shipper and request signature confirmation.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
...there's no tracking or confirmation for it, which is my fault.

Then it's looking grim. Read your eBay and Paypal terms and conditions. Always mail recorded and signed delivery... and insured. Keep all receipts, photographs, serials, correspondence etc. In the UK, the receipt for this kind of mail also includes the weight of the package, handy if anyone tries to claim the box was empty or had something else in it.

Sad to say, it's extremely likely that you're going to have to write this $122 off to experience.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Yup. Gotta have insurance/delivery confirmation to cover your butt on ANY eBay sale. I forgot it once, and was lucky enough to have an honest buyer and had no problems--but it's bailed me out of multiple scammer situations, too (about 5 times out of 30ish). Good luck, but you can probably kiss the money goodbye.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
If it was genuinely lost, it will probably come back to you. It takes time. I went through something similar through ebay (but I was the buyer and I didn't file a complaint - I'm too patient). Item was purchased Aug 18 and sent Aug 20 (according to the seller). Never arrived so I asked the seller to take care of it. Apparently he wrote down the wrong house number (happens a lot with me). Anyway, the item came back to him yesterday.

Since he's pushing, just refund the money, accept responsibility, and apologize. If it comes back, you can try again. Only this time, insure it! I insure everything worth more than $50 I sell on ebay.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks for the input guys. I guess it was about time that this happened. Lesson learned. I do have the receipt from the UPS store, is that valid for anything?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Does it have the zip code you sent it to? Maybe the weight as well. Could be useful if so.

Nope neither, but it does have a receipt ID number. I don't think that helps with anything. I called the UPS store, but they said they couldn't help in any way. :(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks for the input guys. I guess it was about time that this happened. Lesson learned. I do have the receipt from the UPS store, is that valid for anything?

Nope this means nada.
You have been selling on eBay for a while and you shipped your camera without insurance or tracking? Not good.

How much you out? Oh and giving it only one week is stupid on the buyer's part. There was a holiday in there somewhere if you're in the US.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
From now on, get tracking numbers AND insurance on everything you send. It costs more, but you won't have to worry about this sort of thing anymore. If you have to pass on the cost to the buyer, so be it.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Nope this means nada.
You have been selling on eBay for a while and you shipped your camera without insurance or tracking? Not good.

I usually don't ship with tracking or insurance unless the buyer requests it, but I know it's for my protection, so my bad, on my part.

How much you out? Oh and giving it only one week is stupid on the buyer's part. There was a holiday in there somewhere if you're in the US.

$122 bucks is lost. Yea it had only been 3 business days because of the holiday, but he seemed pretty adamant that he should've of gotten it by then. That's why I hold suspicion, even though he has a good feedback, but I guess as a buyer he has immunity over feedback.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I usually don't ship with tracking or insurance unless the buyer requests it, but I know it's for my protection, so my bad, on my part.

$122 bucks is lost. Yea it had only been 3 business days because of the holiday, but he seemed pretty adamant that he should've of gotten it by then. That's why I hold suspicion, even though he has a good feedback, but I guess as a buyer he has immunity over feedback.

I didn't know that. I think even ebay expects the buyer to wait longer than that. That is fishy.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I didn't know that. I think even ebay expects the buyer to wait longer than that. That is fishy.

Yes eBay does require like at least a week or more, something pretty forgiving for the shipper, last time I checked.

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts
Shipping costs and eBay's allowing people (buyers) to scam sellers has pretty much ruined eBay for me. I still use it, but the cost to ship items is now insanely high and people constantly complain and my stars have suffered. I charge what it costs me and not a penny more.

Recently I switched to Express mail only for international shipping. I have no choice. Too risky otherwise.

For comic books and graphic novels I ship first class and use Pay-pal's online postal printing forms. They have delivery confirmation for just 19 cents and so far I have not had any issues. For anything over $25 I require signature confirmation.

It's now so expensive to ship items that all of the comic books I have that would sell for under $5 are no longer worth listing. eBay and Pay-Pal will take most of my money anyway. And who wants to pay $2 for a comic book and $3 to $5 for shipping? Or even $10, as some sellers charge for Medium flat rate boxes?!

eBay is going to decline as shipping rates continue to go up and protection for sellers continues to to shrink. Without the ability to leave negative feedback, sellers are now ****ed.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
try to get on the buyers good side, maybe he/she really is desperate to get the item and not wanting to scam you, do you have a receipt for the shipping, try to show that to the buyer... Usually paypal will side w/ the buyer when no proof of insurance is shown otherwise...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.