Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senorita87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
I have a iphone 3g but the same has happened with my brothers ipod touch 3g
software version 4.1
jailbroken and now wont turn off, wont go in recovery mode or restore...
Someone please help...run out of options

scooterjoe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
4.1 jailbroken with redsn0w_win_0.9.5b5-5

I'm having the exact same problem. I updated my iPhone 3G to OS 4.1 last night on Windows XP and then jailbroke it with the latest redsn0w beta 5-5 and that worked fine, but I went to sync the phone with iTunes later and it tried to sync but it failed because it was unable to make a connection with my phone.

I can plug it in to charge it, and the phone recognizes that it's plugged in, and so does iTunes, but no message pops up on the phone display saying its trying to sync. I also can't restore it to factory settings or to a previous .ipsw. When I hold the sleep button until the "slide to power off" message pops up and I slide it to the right, the phone initially tries to turn off, but the circle thing on the phone stops spinning and it goes back to my lock screen.

I cannot manually put the phone in DFU or Recover Mode either, and I know how; the phone just won't do it. I basically have no way of restoring the phone. I haven't been able to find anything conclusive online about how to fix this; I even restarted my phone and PC several times and removed everything Apple-related from my PC and re-downloaded iTunes and tried again, but it still won't make the connection with my phone.

If you hear anything about how to fix his problem, please repost it here.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
So I assume that holding the sleep and home buttons don't cause it to turn off either?

scooterjoe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Well normally you can shut it off that way too, or keep holding both buttons until it restarts, and I can turn it off that way, but I can't enter into DFU or Recover Mode from there either. I think I might need to find some sort of program that forces a connected iPhone into Recovery Mode (without manually doing it on the phone).

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Well normally you can shut it off that way too, or keep holding both buttons until it restarts, and I can turn it off that way, but I can't enter into DFU or Recover Mode from there either. I think I might need to find some sort of program that forces a connected iPhone into Recovery Mode (without manually doing it on the phone).

You can use recboot to kick it into recovery. You should definitely still be able to put it in DFU via the phone.

scooterjoe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I think I may have messed something up in the phone internally somehow. I "jailbroke it to death" I guess. I'll try out recboot to see if that helps. Also, maybe I should see what happens if I let the phone die.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
I think I may have messed something up in the phone internally somehow. I "jailbroke it to death" I guess. I'll try out recboot to see if that helps. Also, maybe I should see what happens if I let the phone die.

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how it goes.

Short of the buttons not working nothing should prevent the phone from going into DFU mode.

scooterjoe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I know it shouldn't, but it's jailbroken, so it's not working like it normally would. I never install Cydia though because I don't exactly want or know what to do with all the extra stuff it gives you. I just wanted like a "jailbreak lite," I guess you could say, but I do have a custom boot logo. I definitely know how to put it in DFU because I've done it many times before; it just will not do it, no matter how long I hold the home button after releasing the sleep button.

Right now I'm installing some Microsoft .NET Framework 4 because recboot won't work without it apparently.

I dunno, I hope I'm not completely screwed here. My phone's been out of warranty for like a year, and it's obviously been jailbroken, so I'm not gonna be able to get any official tech support from Apple.

hawaiipoolman

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
its an easy fix, this should work. plug your iphone into your computer, and most likely it will not be recognized, that is fine. hold the home and lock button for 15 seconds, as soon as the screen freezes and starts to reboot, release the lock button, and continue to hold the home button for 60 seconds, the phone will kick into dfu mode, and you can restore it.

scooterjoe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Well I don't know if my timing was off before because of how slow the phone was when I tried to get it into DFU or what, but I was finally able to get in there, and I restored the phone. I'm re-syncing it now, but it won't reinstall my apps because it says I'm not authorized or something...

I'm putting all my music back on it now, and I'll probably be able to figure out how to get the apps back on there too. What I'm really waiting to see is if it'll be able to reconnect to wi-fi networks again. That was another thing it wasn't doing after the jailbreak. It was saying it was connected in my settings, but there was no icon next to where my service provider would be at the top of the screen, and it wasn't loading pages or updating stuff in the Facebook app and things like that.

Perhaps my problems are solved... We'll see I guess. I think in the future I'll refrain from trying to jailbreak it right after an OS update comes out. Especially since I'm not quite as computer-literate as I'd like to think. Once I get some cashflow goin' I'll probably get AT&T service again and get a newer phone that I won't need to jailbreak in order to get backgrounding and a battery percentage indicator.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Well I don't know if my timing was off before because of how slow the phone was when I tried to get it into DFU or what, but I was finally able to get in there, and I restored the phone. I'm re-syncing it now, but it won't reinstall my apps because it says I'm not authorized or something...

I'm putting all my music back on it now, and I'll probably be able to figure out how to get the apps back on there too. What I'm really waiting to see is if it'll be able to reconnect to wi-fi networks again. That was another thing it wasn't doing after the jailbreak. It was saying it was connected in my settings, but there was no icon next to where my service provider would be at the top of the screen, and it wasn't loading pages or updating stuff in the Facebook app and things like that.

Perhaps my problems are solved... We'll see I guess. I think in the future I'll refrain from trying to jailbreak it right after an OS update comes out. Especially since I'm not quite as computer-literate as I'd like to think. Once I get some cashflow goin' I'll probably get AT&T service again and get a newer phone that I won't need to jailbreak in order to get backgrounding and a battery percentage indicator.

Which was what I was telling you. Jailbreaking can't effect getting into DFU..

scooterjoe

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
I'm not sure what the deal was then. I do know how to get into DFU mode, and I tried repeatedly last night. Maybe I was too tired to do it properly or something.

And man, I forgot how long it takes to re-synch a library after a restore. It's only done with like a thousand songs. I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get its mac address whitelisted to work on my school's secure wi-fi (assuming this restore fixes that connectivity problem).

yga1979

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
My iPhone 3GS shutdown automatically when turning 3G or EDGE for few minutes

Hello there

After jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS (4.3.1), using jailbreakme.com website, I started to have regular problem. When I use 3G or EDGE for few minutes, my phone will power down, even when the battery is 80% and sometimes more.
I tried to restore my system, to the latest version 4.3.5, but this problem is persisting.
Now my iphone is NOT jailbroken, and my battery is not fine!
Any possible help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.