Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I was told by someone at Parallels tech support a while ago that this version will finally support firewire drives, yet that is not listed as one of the "new and improved" features. Does anyone have any info on this? The Parallels forums are a waste of time ..... almost no one responds to anything and on top of that, each question has to wait for approval before it's posted.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
No, I haven't heard about this. I'm one that loves using Windows on Boot Camp, not a virtual machine, however, I tried Parallels a couple of days ago after around 4 months of uninstalling it and I saw a lot of improvements. So I assume maybe FireWire support is on its way, just be patient.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
logana, I would love to know how you get a firewire drive to "work perfectly" with parallels 5. I'm using 5 as well, and they only way it sees a firewire drive is to enable folder sharing. You can't just plug in a firewire drive and get windows to see it as a drive like you can with usb. They even state on their website that "Parallels does not support firewire at this time".

I was hoping in 6 that I would at least be able to have direct access to a faster drive than usb in a windows virtual machine.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I am using Parallels 5 and Windows 7. I have 2 firewire 400 drives and a Lacie firewire external dvd drive. All are visible and I can read and write to them in "My Computer"..... Time Machine and 400GB are connected by firewire and are Mac OS journaled formatted......
win 7 desktop.jpg

They show up as network drives - I did not map them or anything. Prayerofthe bone is a dvd sitting in the Lacie firewire dvd writer. I can read and rip dvds from there and also burn as well. Home is my internal hard disk on my MacBook.

I thought that this was how it was supposed to work - VMWare Fusion does not seem that clever to me.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Windows XP basically does the same thing, but it's reads and writes slowly. It not like plugging a usb drive in and then seeing it show up as a regular windows mounted drive. Honestly, I don't see why more people don't request this feature with Parallels. I never use usb drives with my macbook pro and the speed of firewire is a big selling point for me. It seems odd that Parallels wouldn't tap into that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.