Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faisalhussain17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Hello everyone,
i have an iphone 3g and it lost its wifi about 3 months ago.i have tried reseting,restoring,airoplane mode etc.None have worked for me.But i see my wifi address (mac address) in settings-general-about.why do i see the address when i cant see any wifi networks.:confused:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The MAC address is a hardware-based, physical address of the WiFi antenna and not based on any network connection.

faisalhussain17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
i read somewhere that if you dont get the mac address of the iphone then it is a wifi hardware problem.true?(i am a newbie)

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
i read somewhere that if you dont get the mac address of the iphone then it is a wifi hardware problem.true?(i am a newbie)

If you don't see a MAC address, then yes, you have a hardware problem.

Now, that doesn't mean you don't have a hardware problem now - your WiFi antenna might still be broken.

faisalhussain17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
If you don't see a MAC address, then yes, you have a hardware problem.

Now, that doesn't mean you don't have a hardware problem now - your WiFi antenna might still be broken.

anyway to verify that my antenna is broken(without opening the iphone).i read that geohot said that the wifi problem was with the apple os on iphone.and if apple gives his $10k then he will fix it.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
anyway to verify that my antenna is broken(without opening the iphone).i read that geohot said that the wifi problem was with the apple os on iphone.and if apple gives his $10k then he will fix it.

I have no idea what you are talking about ...

If your antenna is broken (hardware), software (iOS) cannot fix it.

mrpuffy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2010
Defo hardware, maybe try and fix it yourself if u cant afford new one?
signature_happy.jpg

faisalhussain17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
I have no idea what you are talking about ...

If your antenna is broken (hardware), software (iOS) cannot fix it.

i am saying that my antenna might not be broken and i read somewhere that geohat has said that most of the wifi issues are caused by apple's os.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.