Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Howdy folks,

I rented a show on my iMac and would like to watch it on my :apple:TV. Is it possible?

Thanks

This KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1657?viewlocale=en_US says:
"Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time."

However, this is from the original AppleTV which had a hard drive. Since the new AppleTV doesn't have a drive, you can't really "transfer" to it, but you can "stream" to it. I would think you will somehow "move" the movie to the AppleTV, and will actually stream from the internet (the "cloud") instead.

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
This KB article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1657?viewlocale=en_US says:
"Can I play my rental on more than one device?

If you download a rented movie on your computer: You can transfer it to a device such as your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod if it’s a standard-definition film (movies in HD can only be watched on your computer, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod touch (4th generation), or Apple TV). Once you move the movie from your computer to a device, the movie will disappear from your computer's iTunes library. You can move the movie between devices as many times as you wish during the rental period, but the movie can only exist on one device at a time."

However, this is from the original AppleTV which had a hard drive. Since the new AppleTV doesn't have a drive, you can't really "transfer" to it, but you can "stream" to it. I would think you will somehow "move" the movie to the AppleTV, and will actually stream from the internet (the "cloud") instead.

Yeah, I'm using the Hard Drive AppleTV.

I've synced it several times, but the rented content isn't syncing to the :apple:TV. I'm a bit confused.

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Is your Apple TV running the latest firmware? Authorized to your iTunes account, etc?

I've never done it, but I know it can be done. This might not be perfect, but here's some steps I found on the internet:

Follow the steps given below to rent movies from the iTunes Store on your Computer :
In iTunes on your computer, click iTunes Store.
In the iTunes Store, find a movie you want to rent.
Click Rent. Your movie will begin to download immediately.
Once the movie is downloaded, you can watch it on your computer or transfer the rental to a supported iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV.

Connect the device and select it in iTunes.
Click the Movies tab (for iPod), or the Videos tab (iPhone or Apple TV)
Select the movie, and then click Move.
After all movies have been moved, click Apply in the lower right corner of iTunes.

kissmykumbaya

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Yeah, I'm using the Hard Drive AppleTV.

I've synced it several times, but the rented content isn't syncing to the :apple:TV. I'm a bit confused.

I'm not certain about the original atv, but the atv2 syncs into your library. In the library list, once a movie is rented on the computer, a "rental" menu comes up along with your music, movie and tv show etc libraries. I suspect it may be in the same spot on the original apple tv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.